What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane Camping NOT in Idaho

Scorch

As it cools off thoughts turn to airplane camping. As I search around for neat places to go the same advice comes up: if you want to airplane camp, go to Idaho. Or Montana. And I'm sure this is true, from what I've heard and seen, they are drop-dead gorgeous with a wide variety of facilities. (I've never been to either.)

But my question is, where can I airplane camp that doesn't involve flying 1200 nautical miles? I'm thinking Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico. Anybody know any cool grass strips (or paved) suitable for RVs where you can camp?

I know Idaho and Montana will always be the ultimate airplane camping, just looking for somewhere closer to home.

Camping

Gaston's resort in Arkansas is a great place to go. They have cabins and I'm not sure about tent camping but just a short distance is the Corp of Engineers lake (Bull Shoals) where there is abundant camp grounds.
www.gastons.com

Branson Mo and Eureka Springs, AR is not far if you want entertainment.

Get several planes and I'll gather the locals to help with transportation.
I have no connection with Gaston's, just a big fan.

You didn't say where home was, but for a beautiful grass strip in the mountains, check out Marble, Colorado. http://www.marblecolorado.net/

There was an article on it in the Summer, 2004 Pilot Getaways Magazine. Brush up on your mountain flying and I guarantee you a gorgeous place you will not soon forget!

Petit Jean State Park

Try Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. They have provided campsites at the south end of the field just for folks flying in. The sites are all raised and leveled tent sites, with electric, water, and picnic tables. Also, there is a nice, well equipped shower house. We have a 170 club fly-in there every year. You won?t be disappointed!

Tom

Hey Scorch, are you gonna organize the Petit Jean post-Thanksgiving fly-in again this year? I thought it was a great suggestion to make it an annal event - the temperatures were good, and that camping area could hold a lot more people than came last year. Now that we know about it, I'd be game!

And, of course, next time we schedule a Big Bend fly-out, you need to actually SHOW UP!!! ;)

Paul

Paul

Ironflight said:
Hey Scorch, are you gonna organize the Petit Jean post-Thanksgiving fly-in again this year? I thought it was a great suggestion to make it an annal event - the temperatures were good, and that camping area could hold a lot more people than came last year. Now that we know about it, I'd be game!

And, of course, next time we schedule a Big Bend fly-out, you need to actually SHOW UP!!! ;)

Paul

Paul

Here is another link to the strip in Marble, Colorado...

http://coloradopilots.org/registration.asp?event_id=marble2007

Petit Jean

Iron!

Yeah, we gotta do Petit Jean again. Last year was kind of spur of the moment. I'll get the word out earlier and I bet we get a big turnout.

Re Big Bend Ranch: everybody knows that's just a big meat market, and the only reason people go there is to hook up with chicks! :p

prporter, thanks for the link to Marble - looks great - gonna have to check that out-

Gastons does not let you camp. you can get a cabin of course. speaking of Gastons, you should join us next June for the annual Gastons fly in. www.gastonsflyin.com mostly organized through www.pilotsofamerica.com but all are welcome.

My friend with an RV-7A crashed the 170 fly in at Petit Jean last year and had a blast. I think they made him an honorary 170 or something like that :)

Arboles CO

There is (was, it's been 25 years now...) a dirt strip on the NW shore of Navajo Lake, about a mile south of Arboles, CO and exactly on the CO-NM border. No facilities at the time and of course lots of things change, but this would be a good time of year to go.

greg arehart

Back