What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow build Fuselage or wings?

MaysRV10

Hello all

I’m about 5 months or less away from finishing my empennage. I put a order in for a quick build fuselage and wings and was told that the process is at least 12 months out, probably longer. I inquired about the news I read about a possible new quick build manufacturing plant opening to help with demand, details weren’t available yet. Does anyone else have information on this that would help with my decision making?

So, I’m at a decision point. Which slow build kit do I want to build? I’d like advice from builders who’ve built both and which one they would suggest and why.

I’m leaning towards the fuselage. This lean is based on countless build videos I’ve watched where builders comment negatively on the wing slow build.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I am sure you will get opinions going either way. So, my opinion.
Quickbuild Fuselage, slow build wing.
The wings are repetitive work and very similar to building the tail feathers that you have already done. Also, you are responsible for sealing the tanks and you can take extra care to insure that they are well sealed. There is very little fabrication (a lot less than the fuselage).

The wings are repetitive work and very similar to building the tail feathers that you have already done. Also, you are responsible for sealing the tanks and you can take extra care to insure that they are well sealed.

You are responsible for sealing the tanks on a quick-build too. The only difference is you are repairing someone else's work after the fact...

-Marc

Wings first

Well thinking that the wings should be built before the fuse. And the fuse is harder, I would be inclined to do slow build wings and quick build fuse. That way, when the wings are done, the fuse will be arriving. Like others said, the wings are just really big tail feathers, so should be more in line with what you have already done.

Like everything I have experienced, the tanks are nothing to fear, just a little different. But lots of help avaiable.

I decided on quick build fuse and slow build wings. Ordered them both last month, but still no date for a date for the quick build fuse. I figure if I get the wings half done and the fuse is still a year out, I’ll switch it to a slow build.

I talked to a couple of the vans guys at sun and fun and they didn’t even seem comfortable talking about it. I felt like I was inconveniencing them just by trying to get a feel for what’s going on.

Back