What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stuck in airport anyone?

gumpps

I'm New Here
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to help a new owner ferry his new RV12 from the factory in OR to the Orlando area.
It was a good trip in general but east of the Mississippi, we had to divert for weather a couple of times.
In one of those diversions, a Sunday afternoon, after flying for 6 hrs. we landed somewhere after the local FBO had closed and the closest town was 10 miles away.
As darkness was approaching, we decided to park for the day and continue the next morning.
A google map search for motels or hotels yielded good results but none could provide shuttle service. There were no available taxis cabs or ubers either.

Has anybody been in that situation? I am sure we were not the first.
For all experienced pilots out there, any ideas that can help a stranded pilot?

Last edited:
Been there, done that. as they say.
I've spent more nights sleeping on the floor out side the pilot lounge, or inside on a broken down recliner.
Nobody picks up hitchhikers anymore, so best bet is to pick an airportclose enough in to walk it.

Stuck at airport without ground transport

First assumption for the following thoughts - it’s 2019 before the Corona Zombies arrived... Right now, in 2020, the world is crazy...

One option that comes to mind, if there is an Enterprise Car Rental nearby I’ve had them bring a rental car to the airport.

Sleeping inside a car or pickup isn’t bad, just part of the adventure.

ForeFlight typically lists the airport manager’s phone number, possible source of info. Of course you could maybe hear that phone ringing inside the locked FBO. Call after hours phone number on FBO door or Self Serve Pump to explain your situation and maybe get help?

Walk around the hangers and if you find someone, explain your situation. If you were at my home field I’d give you a ride...

If you have a ham license and radio there are ways to try contacting locals for assists.

In a desperation situation like hostile weather I’d consider calling the local PD or sheriff’s dept., non-emergency number, and explain the situation. Maybe the PD or SO has a pilot or helpful soul who would jump to assist....

Carl

I’d consider calling the local PD or sheriff’s dept., non-emergency number, and explain the situation.
Carl

Many years ago, in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska), the motel clerk suggested just that. So I called the sheriff, he said “Oh sure, I’ll send the deputy right out.” And he did.

Happened to me years ago because of weather. No cabs, pre uber. The line guy called the police and they took me to a hotel and returned me in the morning. I think they were bored and liked the conversation. Wouldn’t even take a tip. ;)

Locked in

Midland, Texas town airport, 8 ft. Fence on Christmas morning. I couldn’t get out, all the gates locked, FBO closed, doesn’t answer the emergency phone. I called the sheriff twice in 45 minutes, never showed up, but my son did. I had some big wire cutters in my airplane, so I cut the fence and left. Never heard a word and left three days later.

Finally

Midland, Texas town airport, 8 ft. Fence on Christmas morning. I couldn’t get out, all the gates locked, FBO closed, doesn’t answer the emergency phone. I called the sheriff twice in 45 minutes, never showed up, but my son did. I had some big wire cutters in my airplane, so I cut the fence and left. Never heard a word and left three days later.

OK so now we know who to send the repair bill to.

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to help a new owner ferry his new RV12 from the factory in OR to the Orlando area.
It was a good trip in general but east of the Mississippi, we had to divert for weather a couple of times.
In one of those diversions, a Sunday afternoon, after flying for 6 hrs. we landed somewhere after the local FBO had closed and the closest town was 10 miles away.
As darkness was approaching, we decided to park for the day and continue the next morning.
A google map search for motels or hotels yielded good results but none could provide shuttle service. There were no available taxis cabs or ubers either.

Has anybody been in that situation? I am sure we were not the first.
For all experienced pilots out there, any ideas that can help a stranded pilot?

For an ATP and CFI you must have had a very royal education at a flying college.:)

On any kind of a cross country a sleeping bag, a tent and survival kit with some food is fairly standard gear. Even with good planing, ones luck eventually runs out and a sleep over in a remote terminal shack when the motels are all full, does happen.

Try and avoid the mid west during county fair week or you could be in for a few days with no motel vacancy. Returning home from Oshkosh a few years ago, this happened at the end of a long hot rough day at Thief River Falls, MN. No camping was allowed on the airfield, and no motel rooms were left. So we untied , re packed and took off for Warren a few miles west, only to discover no motel vacancy due to the county fair. After studying the yellow pages, she who must be obeyed decided that only "The finest food in Marshall County" would do, so we were off on a 5KM march to town. That turned out to be a biker bar, with a 300 lb woman passed out on a pool table, and the cook was mouth fishing fries off the plates when he set them on the pass through for the servers to pick up. Really.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the colorful stories.
I like the Midland TX best and calling the local Sheriff option I will remember.

Yes, some food and water plus a blanket is a given, but in this age of high tech communications I figured there was be a better way to arrange a ride.

Corporate pilots rarely have to deal with these nuisances, they can fly above and beyond and pick the FBOs

Safe flights!

2014 - Columbus, Missisippi

Bringing a J-3 back from the Dallas area to SC I landed two minutes before sunset at a small airfield on the east side of Columbus.

It was Super Bowl night!

The only cab company that answered a phone call (party atmosphere in the background) hung up on me when he heard that I was asking for a ride into town. No phone numbers posted on the FBO door.

Getting dark - in the boonies.

Found a Fire Station listing nearby on my iPhone. Called, and a friendly fire fighter ran right over and took me about 5 miles to a hotel.

Tipped him ten bucks.

It always seems to work out.

If you have a Garrmin handheld GPS with the AOPA directory in the database you can usually find a gate code to exit the airport fence.

We made an unscheduled landing in Fort Sumner, NM one Sunday late afternoon. There were two motels listed in the AOPA database. The owner of the first one we called had no vacancies, but she drove out to the airport, picked us up and dropped us at her competitor's motel. She told us to call next day and she would take us back to the airport.

I wasn't worried about sleeping under the wing, but I didn't want my wife to have to. When I get into those situations I send up a little prayer. "God, how are you going to work this out?" He always does. We found a little gift for our new friend, and flew off happier for the experience and with another great memory.

John

If you have cellular service at the airport, you could always try Uber or other ride sharing services.

Bevan

Many years ago, in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska), the motel clerk suggested just that. So I called the sheriff, he said “Oh sure, I’ll send the deputy right out.” And he did.

I've called the PD several times. Never been turned down. The officer in Jackson, MS even gave us his cell phone number, and told us what time he got off duty.

This past October, my brother & I bought a Rans S6S in Idaho. We flew his RV9A out there to get it, I flew the Rans home. It was 4:30, Saturday afternoon. We stopped in Spanish Forks, UT for the first fuel stop and spend the night. At the airport there was a "bunch" of people around a DA20 (IIRC). No courtesy car available, so we started visiting with the local folks. Turned out one of the sons had just passed his PPL checkride that Wednesday afternoon and was giving family members a ride. My brother wound up giving two of them a ride in his RV.
They offered to take us to a hotel and were asking what sort of accomodations we wanted. We got to visiting A LOT with them and the mom said "why don't you guys just go home with us for the night? We're having a birthday party for xxx (the one that had just gotten his PPL) and we'd love to have you guys join us". There was 13 of them. Turns out, dad was a detective with the SFPD, and mom is a real estate agent. They had a nice, new huge home. We had private bedrooms and bathrooms. They fed us the biggest, best dinner/supper and homemade dessert fit for a king. Mom left breakfast stuff out on the cabinet, told us to help ourselves in the morning, if we needed anything just look for it. Dad asked us what time we wanted to be at the airport in the morning and got up and took us.

How can anyone beat this one? :):)

Last edited:
I've called the PD several times. Never been turned down. The officer in Jackson, MS even gave us his cell phone number, and told us what time he got off duty.

This past October, my brother & I bought a Rans S6S in Idaho. We flew his RV9A out there to get it, I flew the Rans home. It was 4:30, Saturday afternoon. We stopped in Spanish Forks, UT for the first fuel stop and spend the night. At the airport there was a "bunch" of people around a DA20 (IIRC). No courtesy car available, so we started visiting with the local folks. Turned out one of the sons had just passed his PPL checkride that Wednesday afternoon and was giving family members a ride. My brother wound up giving two of them a ride in his RV.
They offered to take us to a hotel and were asking what sort of accommodations we wanted. We got to visiting A LOT with them and the mom said "why don't you guys just go home with us for the night? We're having a birthday party for xxx (the one that had just gotten his PPL) and we'd love to have you guys join us". There was 13 of them. Turns out, dad was a detective with the SFPD, and mom is a real estate agent. They had a nice, new huge home. We had private bedrooms and bathrooms. They fed us the biggest, best dinner/supper and homemade dessert fit for a king. Mom left breakfast stuff out on the cabinet, told us to help ourselves in the morning, if we needed anything just look for it. Dad asked us what time we wanted to be at the airport in the morning and got up and took us.

How can anyone beat this one? :):)

Some people have all the luck!! you couldn't have planned better.

JG

A big bolt cutter is standard equipment in a glider trailer. Keep a spare lock, cut the chain and then repair it with the lock.
For automotive security gates, a single snow chain and a rope is required. If inside, lay the chain on the sensor in the asphalt. If outside, throw it over the fence and use the rope to retrieve it if you miss.

Back in the 90s while running some freight in the Midwest we stopped for gas and groceries. It was dark and the place was dead although it looked like we were in the middle of the hood. As I secured a the gas cap on top of the ladder and my costar hung up the pump shots rang out. Sounded like a 9 or 40cal. I never saw a 230lb county boy move so fast. He came out of his boots dodging for cover behind the fuel farm and I rolled behind the left cowling. 3 more shots rang out and we were gone. I never knew a twin Beech could taxi straight on one motor but learned something new that night. Sometimes the only option is just to get out of Dodge! :D

I'm probably a little odd in that I really like sleeping in my sleeping bag and tent, so I on cross-country overnight trips I just bring those along and plan my overnight stops where I can do that. But only if my wife isn't along :)

That said, everyone on this list knows what AOG means... what about POG?
As in, pilot on ground, needing a ride or whatever.

FYI . I stopped in a KPUJ on the west side of Atlanta at the 30 Nm radius yesterday to buy gas , Kind of a normal thing since no gas on my turf field. And 100LL was like normal $3.49 per gallon. The new thing was they have opened up the FBO building to the left of the SelfS pumps which has been at a mid construction standstill for the past 4+ years. Now has New carpet , pictures on the wall. AND finally the point of this post , a 24/7 pilot lounge that HAS restroom , refrig and couch, small but never the less. Looks like the building has been leased by the warbird museum over from KRMG and they are moving to PUJ.

KPUJ is one of those places where you could get stranded overnight without anyplace to get transportation out to. Hey but it is a nice airport and maybe with time the 24/7 sofa wont be the only option for overnight stay over.

If you ever get AOG or POG'd at PUJ give me a call.

As they do in Childress, Texas. At least 15 years ago they did. Sign on the FBO said to call the sheriff department for a ride... When the deputy arrived, he asked me where I had come in from. Told him Borger. He said he'd heard they had just had baseball size hail there. I knew that "green" thunderstorm chasing me looked mean. Glad I got out of town when I did.

best memories are the ones that happen unexpectedly

I had gone to VA to visit my son in the navy many years ago. I was solo on my way back from Norfolk to Gulf Shores, Al in my old Cessna 152. I was approaching Eufaula, Al at about sunset. I needed fuel and food! I began calling them on unicom with no response...(they were already locked up). On arrival I flew over the field and looked both ways up and down the only road. I saw NOTHING as far as I could see in either direction. I was VERY hungry. My thoughts were this is going to be an awfully long night. I don't fly after dark so had to stay there. I had no food with me and felt literally starved and it was just about dark. I landed and taxied up to a self serve pump... at least I could get that out of the way. Shutting down I opened the door and my nostrils immediately picked up on the smell of hamburgers.... I thought, "Now that's some good news." I quickly fueled and tied the plane down then followed my nose. I haden't see anything but there was a small building that I thought was part of the airport property like 100 feet away. I walked in to a little Mom and Pop restaurant complete with checkered tablecloth's! I was ecstatic! I had the best burger ever. The waitress told me that the bar in the same building had a band starting at nine. I ended up there and drank a couple while listening to music. Eventually back to the FBO where I found a nice comfy chair and slept great.

One of my favorite flying memories.

Last edited:
I had gone to VA to visit my son in the navy many years ago. I was solo on my way back from Norfolk to Gulf Shores, Al in my old Cessna 152. I was approaching Eufaula, Al at about sunset. I needed fuel and food! I began calling them on unicom with no response...(they were already locked up). On arrival I flew over the field and looked both ways up and down the only road. I saw NOTHING as far as I could see in either direction. I was VERY hungry. My thoughts were this is going to be an awfully long night. I don't fly after dark so had to stay there. I had no food with me and felt literally starved and it was just about dark. I landed and taxied up to a self serve pump... at least I could get that out of the way. Shutting down I opened the door and my nostrils immediately picked up on the smell of hamburgers.... I thought, "Now that's some good news." I quickly fueled and tied the plane down then followed my nose. I haden't see anything but there was a small building that I thought was part of the airport property like 100 feet away. I walked in to a little Mom and Pop restaurant complete with checkered tablecloth's! I was ecstatic! I had the best burger ever. The waitress told me that the bar in the same building had a band starting at nine. I ended up there and drank a couple while listening to music. Eventually back to the FBO where I found a nice comfy chair and slept great.

Paul - Its great to hear the restaurant is still open! It's been ~15 years since I've flown in there and have it near the top of my list of lunch destinations once I finally get this plane in the air. I'm not sure if they still have it or not, but for lunch they had a "buffet" that was more like potluck casserole type dishes being churned out of the kitchen.

This one definitely needs a great big "LIKE" button!!!

Isn't it funny how so many of us have that one favorite memory of the time when everything in the world was just perfect? I'm fortunate to have a few memories that compete for that top spot. How many other hobbies, I wonder, can populate the mind with such wonderful memories?

This one definitely needs a great big "LIKE" button!!!

Isn't it funny how so many of us have that one favorite memory of the time when everything in the world was just perfect? I'm fortunate to have a few memories that compete for that top spot. How many other hobbies, I wonder, can populate the mind with such wonderful memories?

Actually......It can be like when riding a Goldwing. GWRRA members are EVERYWHERE, and most are willing to do whatever is necessary to "help-out".

Back