What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago Airport Recommendations Needed

J5Cub

I am looking at flying my PA-12 (just getting started on the RV8) to Chicago this summer to visit family. Can anyone recommend some good airports to keep the Super Cruiser at for a weekend? Inside would be nice but I assume that prices in the Chicago area would be exorbitant so safe tie downs will have to do.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Chicago airports

You could try Meigs...oop, sorry forgot King Richard made that a park for the upcoming Chicago Olympics :mad:

Seriously, it depends on where in the Chicago area you are going. It stretches from the Indiana border to the Wisconsin one near me and goes well west of the city with a lot of small airport options in between.

Any idea if you will be in the City or suburbs?

DuPage airport (KDPA) is 40 mi due west of the Loop. They have outside tie downs, and hangar space albeit expensive. Also Clow airport in Plainfield, will be more reasonable for open bay hangar space, but limited IFR, and no tower.

palwaukee

I've been into Palwaukee PWK north of Chicago three times in my RV. Large, full-service, tower-controlled, reliever type airport. First time I used American Jet and was underwhelmed. Since then I've used Signature and they've been great, more suited to us little guys. Definitely recommend them if PWK looks good to you.

Schaumburg

I have flown out of Schaumburg (06C) many times. I think its the closest uncontrolled airport to downtown Chicago. Great new FBO with a good restaurant and nice people.

jimpappas said:
You could try Meigs...oop, sorry forgot King Richard made that a park for the upcoming Chicago Olympics :mad:

Seriously, it depends on where in the Chicago area you are going. It stretches from the Indiana border to the Wisconsin one near me and goes well west of the city with a lot of small airport options in between.

Any idea if you will be in the City or suburbs?
Ouch, don't remind me. I always wanted to fly into Meigs and just never had the chance.

I will be spending a lot of time in the city (wish Meigs was still there) so close to downtown would be nice. Looks like Palwaukee might work but will look at Schaumburg and Plainfield. My Super Cruiser is not IFR anyways and I prefer a non tower environment.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Greg

Depends how far you want to drive...

One hour south/west from the city...

Dupage - IFR Towner
Aurora - IFR Towner
KLOT - IFR
KJOT - short runway
CLOW - short runway

1 1/2 hours from city - C09

Back