What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrack AP's

XPPilot

Well Known Member
I have currently two TruTrack AP's to choose from for my RV-6A project.
- TruTrack ADI Pilot II
- TruTrack Digiflight II VSG

Please let me know which you prefer and why.

I have Dynon D180 as a primary instrument. For the navigation I have Garmin GPSMAP 696.

Can Dynon AP74 control either or TruTrack AP's? Or is it only possible to control those via TruTrack control head?

The AP74 cannot control any of our autopilots, they'll be controlled from their own panel units themselves. Both of your options will interface to the 696.

Thanks Lucas for the info!

Please let me know which of these two TruTrack AP's is later model.

I have TruTrack ADI Pilot II on my flying experimental plane connected to Garmin GPSMAP 496. It works perfect.

The ADI II probably came out after the Dififlight II, but the DII has more features. It has GPS-Steering via ARINC from an IFR navigator or an EFIS with steering output. The ADI only accepts a serial output from any GPS for GPS Nav. It also has a vertical speed select option which the ADI does not have. The ADI will do altitude hold, but not vertical speed.

The ADI does act as a backup attitude instrument, however.

With your current panel, the ADI will do just about everything the DII will because there is no ARINC involved in any of those instruments. The DII will still do vertical speed, though.

As Lucas said, the AP74 will not talk to the TruTrak system. It will work only with the Dynon servos.

ADI II

I've had a TruTrac ADI II in my 8A along with a Garmin 496 and AFS 4500. 900+ hrs. with no complaints. Put a Direst To destination into the 496, hit Alt Hold and Nav and just sit back and watch the world go by.

Also like the fact that it does act as a backup attitude indicator.

Back