What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9B1 Marlboro, MA pireps?

brian

Well Known Member
My sister lives near Marlboro, MA, and I was thinking of flying down there. The runway is only 1600x40 feet, so at first I was leery, but I've been wondering about the feasibility of landing there. The shortest runway I've ever landed on was 3000'. I don't use the whole runway, but I'm not sure I use less than half.

Oddly, though, it's claimed in various sources that 25-40 planes are based there, with 37-48 operations/day. That seems like quite a lot for such a small runway. I've called and emailed the airport manager and FBO to get more details, but no answer, no response. They also list having fuel, repairs, and even a flight school at the airport. If so many others, including students, can land there, I should be able to.

After googling lots more info about the airport, it's a pretty sad story. Some articles mentioned greatly declining operations, another mentioned the runway needing $1M in repairs. The present owner/manager's husband passed away in 2012, and the airport has been for sale since January. From what I read, apparently there's little or no interest in purchasing it as an airport, so that means real estate developers, and that will be the end of another airport.

A couple articles mentioned the newest plane based there is over 30 years old, and there's an antiques-based EAA chapter there. It'll be especially sad for them if the airport gets turned into a housing tract.

However, the more I've read about it, the more intrigued I've gotten about flying there. I don't think, from what I've read, that it's going to be around much longer, so I'd like to try it while I still can. I plan to mark off 1600' on the runway at my airport, and confirm that I can consistently land in that distance OK.

So, after all that introductory info, I'm wondering if any other VAF pilots have landed there or know any other details about the airport.

If you haven't been there, and you feel up to a 1600' landing, you might want to try it before it's gone

I've been there couple years ago Brian in my RV9A. Walked to a fast food joint then left. The runway is relatively short with trees on both ends but my 9 handled it well. If you are fixed pitch you have to nail that approach speed.

Thanks, Vlad. I haven't met you yet, but I figured if anybody had been in there, it would be you. ;) I see what you mean about landing there, your approach speed had better be right on the money.

Marlboro

Built in 1922, the oldest continuously operating commercial airport in the state. Lots of Antique Aircraft Activity in the 50's and 60's. They had antique fly-ins in that era.
I was there one time, I think in 1963.

Brian,
I use to fly into Marlboro (9b1) frequently in my PA-11 when I worked in the area. This is not your typical 1600 x 40 runway. It is absolutely doable in an RV but you need to bring your A game. Runway 32 has trees a few hundred feet from the threshold which requires steep approach. There is no overrun at the other end, just a fence.

So if you are accustomed to landing in 3,000+ ft runways I would not recommend that you fly into 9B1 without first trying a few 2,000 foot runways with obstructed approaches. This will help sharpen both your psych and skills.

Best,
Mike

Grew up nearby

I grew up just a few minutes down the street. Used to fly in occationly in 172's and have taken my RB-8 in several times. Others have already mention d the trees and fence. There is a dot on the runway, of not down by then, GO-AROUND!

Back in the 70's the it was a happening not place, owned by Don (don't remember his last name). He actually flew a Cessna 310 in and out at least once!

When I was instructing in the area I used to take my commercial students into BOS (landing fee was only $10 then) and then, to Marlboro. Told the sunsets they needed to be able to handle both as a commercial pilot, likely to do this flying charter. Never had a student make it into Marlboro on the first approach.

If you're proficient, go. It is conventions to the area, not much else close by.

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ

As others have said, bring your A-game. I've had a Champ in there, but that's it. Watched a KBED flight school Cherokee eat the fence one day - guy should have gone around but forced it down.

I'd stick to 6B6 personally. Not far from any of the surrounding towns.

Scott

Back