What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Shipping

paul330

Well Known Member
no sooner have I got my -10 registered and flying in UK than I want to move it to South Africa :eek:

Measuring the length from the engine (prop off) to the rudder bulkhead (tail Feathers off) seems just over 20' so it appears it won't fit in a 20' container. Wheels are also going to have to come off to fit across. However, I was wondering if there was enough length if one went across the diagonal from (say) rear left to front right. According to Pythagoras, that gives 21.5 feet though obviously you would lose a bit with the aircraft width. I'm away from home but seem to remember that the length was about 21' so it would be close.

Anyone done it?

Not an answer to your question, but why are you not flying it there? Sure, it would be more trouble and probably expense but, man, it would be the flying adventure of a lifetime!

With the tail off and the engine and nose gear off, it will fit in a 20' container. You can keep the main gear on, but no axle extenders. We've done this many times.

For the cost difference between a 20 and 40, why would you want to go to all that hassle removing the engine and prop and then barely squeeze it in the container, run the risk of it bumping on the seas and then have to reinstall the engine and prop once it gets there?

R-10 Shipping

If you need someone to fly the aircraft there for you im Sure you wont have to twist to many arms. It will save you cash in the long run!

Believe me, I have seriously looked at flying it down. The problem with a Permit to Fly (as opposed to a C of A) is that you have no right to international - it's only a national registration. Most European countries have reciprocal arrangements but you would need permits for every African country you fly through/over. There is a company I have found which will make all arrangements and even organize "safaris" from time to time for a group fly - that would be awesome. The cost, however, is truly eye-watering. Actually, much cheaper to ship.

I had come to the same conclusion concerning a 40' container. Would also leave plenty of room for tools and spares.

Watch this space for news next spring/summer.......

With the tail off and the engine and nose gear off, it will fit in a 20' container. You can keep the main gear on, but no axle extenders. We've done this many times.

I'm getting close to the move. I measured the main gear and it seemed to me that the tops of the tires extended greater than 7' 6" - the internal dimension of a standard container. I get that you can put the fuselage slightly on a diagonal which may just give the extra clearance required.

The other idea I had was to put the aircraft on jacks and ratchet strap the gear legs together. Any comments? If I am going to do that, I need to do it before removing the wings.

When I built our 10 , I made alum. pipe legs to temp. keep it up off the ground for working on. Why could you not make temp. legs without the axles that would fit into the container. These legs could have pads for fastening the ac down. I would make something on the lower portion to attach some sort of wheel to temp. roll it into the container then remove and fasten down. I machined the pipe to the dimensions of the gear leg mount.

Too much work - also I've had "issues" before trying to move the aircraft without the gear on - it didn't end well.........

The other option is to remove the wheels and make some simple dollies to clamp round the axle stubs. Still think that ratcheting in the legs will give me the couple of extra of inches I need (as the bishop said to the actress..... :p)

I want to know why you would want to move to RSA :confused:

I hope you not only like but love the concept of Concealed Carry, (which Aussies are lacking :mad: ) because you might need it. 100% of South Africans I know here would agree.

But it will be an adventure in a beautiful place.

I'm getting close to the move. I measured the main gear and it seemed to me that the tops of the tires extended greater than 7' 6" - the internal dimension of a standard container. I get that you can put the fuselage slightly on a diagonal which may just give the extra clearance required.

The other idea I had was to put the aircraft on jacks and ratchet strap the gear legs together. Any comments? If I am going to do that, I need to do it before removing the wings.

Use a ratchet strap to pull the gear legs together a little. Then slide it in the container at an angle (tail all the way to one side). Then straighten it up and let the wheels "snap" into one of the correlations, which will give you almost 8'. Release (or at least loosen the tension) on the rachet strap.

I want to know why you would want to move to RSA :confused:

I hope you not only like but love the concept of Concealed Carry, (which Aussies are lacking :mad: ) because you might need it. 100% of South Africans I know here would agree.

But it will be an adventure in a beautiful place.

I don't actually find these comments appropriate or helpful - but you are right on one thing - it IS a beautiful country.

Use a ratchet strap to pull the gear legs together a little. Then slide it in the container at an angle (tail all the way to one side). Then straighten it up and let the wheels "snap" into one of the correlations, which will give you almost 8'. Release (or at least loosen the tension) on the rachet strap.

Thanks Jesse - that sounds like a plan...... :D

Jesse

Just been trying to ratchet the gear in without success. What did you bear against to make it work? Just putting it on the legs, the strap is going to slide up and the brake bracket is not rigid enough. I have tried round the wheels (with the plan to get it to the edge of the container and then "scrub" the wheels in) but all the effort goes into deforming the tyres.

Help! - the shippers come on Wednesday.....

We put a strap around the brake rotor with hooks on the bottom on both sides. Then we ratchet it in. Then it has to go into the container at an angle until one wheel us in its final corrugation. Then you can push on the tail to center it and get the other wheel in its corrugation. Then release most if the tension on the ratchet.

Back