What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tow Bar for 7A

Dandlac58

Well Known Member
Hello Fellow VAF flyers,

Where do I go to find a tow bar for my RV7A? I did a search at Vans parts and they only list a tow bar for the RV12. Suggestions? Does everyone just push by the prop?

Recommendation for type grease to use on the nose fork to landing gear mating?

Thank you very much.

Dan
N327CD

So what are you connecting the tow bar too? On the castering wheel.

The 3/8x24x3/4 Allen head screws on either side of the gear...there's a hole in the wheel pant for them (or *should* be :)). I do recommend replacing the stock ones with longer ones and spacers, but I've forgotten where I got them from. Someone else may have the info.

I built a workable tow bar from a cheap Cessna bar. Added a small turnbuckle to spread the jaws to get around the wheel faring. Also was able to switch the T-handle out for a ball hitch receiver in case I needed to recover the plane from far out on the field. (had to use it once)

These

So what are you connecting the tow bar too? On the castering wheel.

I use these, but I searched on their web site, and it appears they no longer carry them. RVA Tow Pin Kit

11110E65-39E4-49C9-AB3A-12AEACE3BAD1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using the light weight RV12 tow bar with my 6A as a "carry along" for years. I feared it would break, but it has held up well.

Last edited:
I have both the pre 2018 wag-aero and Bogi-Bar tow bars hanging in my hangar. I also have the post 2018 wag-aero tow bar hanging on hooks in my RV9A. Before I developed the posilock for the wag-aero tow bar I tended to use the Bogi-Bar at the hangar. After I installed the posilock on the wag-aero I find I tend to use that one because it's easier to install on the wheel and it is very secure. the posilock made the difference. I can install the wag-aero tow bar on the wheel while holding a beverage in the opposite hand.

note: when I push the aircraft into the hangar I only push on the tow bar. I think pushing on the cowl may loosen the cowl pin rivets. I don't have any loose cowl pin rivets. my cowl is built to the plans using the hinge pin method.

pre 2018 wag-aero

8fb5f1_2526218597184e3a98b9d783d9089c0e~mv2.webp

post 2018 wag-aero in the aircraft

IMG_20210820_151206.jpg

Last edited:
Back