What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jan Bussell

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I’m sorry to have to pass this on. From Jan’s widow, Joyce Bussell, Jan passed away recently from leukemia. I know a lot of you received your RV checkout from Jan in Okeechobee, FL. Jan was a big guy. I remember many years ago he showed up in my hangar in Vero Beach because he wanted to see if he would fit in an RV-6 that he was thinking of acquiring. He ended up getting two, a -6 and a -6A. He may have built one, I don’t remember now, it was a long time ago. Joyce wanted me to mention that Jan is going to be cremated and his ashes spread over the runway at Okeechobee. Funeral arrangements were made at Buxton & Bass in Okeechobee.

Thanks for the info, Pat.

I did my transition training with Jan and thoroughly enjoyed it.

May he rest in peace.

Rob
N706DR
RV-7A

Jan

I got my transition training from Jan almost two years ago. His demonstration of what a 6A could really do and scared the **** out of me but made me a better pilot and gave me the confidence I needed. He also demonstrated the perfect impossible turn for me.
The RV community has lost a valuable asset to flight safety .
Rest In Peace Jan.

Last edited:
Jan helped a lot of people. An exceptional human being.

I went to Jupiter High School in Florida and there were three instructors that help form my advancement to independence and employment. In the ninth grade, around 1969 Jan Bussell was my "Power mechanics" teacher and he and I performed a valve job on an old Nash. We ground the valves and he showed me how to lap the valve's in and tell if its done correctly. This would repeat many times during engine work, whether an auto or an aircraft engine over many years.

Jan's father "Cary" was my guidance counselor at JHS. Both men were compassionate humans with a strong faith always willing to help their students.

After working in aircraft mechanics profession for several years I attended Palm Beach Junior College and took flight simulation courses where Jan was teaching, later I would pursue multi engine training and took lessons from my "ole shop teacher" in N64M, a 1955 Piper Apache that Jan ended up selling to me after I got my AMEL ticket, this allowed me to built up necessary multi engine flight time required for a commercial flying job.

Recently after not seeing Jan in many years I went out to visit with him, approximately 6 weeks ago. It was really nice to visit with a man whom taught me more than the other instructors at JHS. I tried to let him know how much he meant to me, that I was able to have a career in Aviation because of him.
I retired from American Airlines as a pilot in 2020. (US Air pilot)

From what I know, he spent his entire professional life in the education of people. A remarkable humble kind soul and those that knew Jan will agree. He prepared many a RV pilot, He told me he had spent 4300 hours teaching in the RV6.
I guess thats a milestone not repeated.

RIP Jan.

Doug Bent
Stuart, FL

Jan

Jan gave my wife, Judie and I several hours of dual in the 6A for her and the 6 for me. He was remarkable and very giving. We both attended his classes at Sun n Fun. He will be missed. Gone West, but not forgotten.

I did my, “ do I really want to buy an RV 6a/ insurance requirement “ checkout with Jan. What a nice guy. 10 minutes after takeoff from his grass strip, I told him I’m sold we can go back now..... We proceeded to OCH and did countless landings. He taught me the parameters to RTB on takeoff with an engine failure.

On subsequent landing , it was smooth and not a bounce, .....Flat tire. Whoops. Pushed it off into grass , borrowed a truck, drove to his house and got tools etc etc. I wanted to video this in the field tire change, because I knew I would not remember how to do it later. Almost a dead battery on phone. No joy.

Flew back to his grass strip at dusk and he signed me off, I actually wanted to go back for more the next day but all squares filled and could get out a day early and start shopping.

RIP.

Jan did my transition training about 3 years ago. A very nice man, and a knowledgeable teacher.

Tailwinds my friend.

Jan taught me how to fly a tailwheel. Such a great instructor and a very nice man. He will be missed.

Jan

Jan gave me my BFR in Feb. 2020. I was hoping to see him again in Feb. 2022.

He was a gifted instructor, and will be missed.

Jan

Ten years ago as I neared completion of my 7A, I traveled the 1000 miles to Florida for 5 days of transition training with Jan. I’d meet him at his front door every morning @7:00 AM and ride with him in his golf cart the short distance up the road to his hangar. It was such a memorable time. His relaxed demeanor with his arm draped across the back of my seat as we departed the airfield instilled confidence. He will be missed.
Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Blue Skies and Tailwinds Jan

I visited Jan last year just before his birthday to complete my transition training and he put me through the wringer. I left a much better pilot thanks to Jan.

I spoke with him this May and he shared his diagnosis with Leukemia. He was up beat and was already talking about getting back to flying.

You got a new set of wings now Jan. RIP.

I’m sorry to have to pass this on. From Jan’s widow, Joyce Bussell, Jan passed away recently from leukemia. I know a lot of you received your RV checkout from Jan in Okeechobee, FL. Jan was a big guy. I remember many years ago he showed up in my hangar in Vero Beach because he wanted to see if he would fit in an RV-6 that he was thinking of acquiring. He ended up getting two, a -6 and a -6A. He may have built one, I don’t remember now, it was a long time ago. Joyce wanted me to mention that Jan is going to be cremated and his ashes spread over the runway at Okeechobee. Funeral arrangements were made at Buxton & Bass in Okeechobee.

When? I'll attend.

A real loss to the RV community.
Jan gave me the skills and transition training to get on this magic carpet ride of RV's. I had only about 65 hours total at the time and after a few hours with Jan and a signoff, the first flight in my airplane was a non-event. I've been living the dream ever since.
I had been taking my last few flight reviews in his 6 towards my tailwheel endorsement. Lots of "hold it, hold it, hold it!" in my ear, LOL.

Great guy and a great instructor.

Jan was able to do my transition training and tailwheel endorsement in one extended visit. He was satisfied with my progress ahead of the insurance required hours so we spent a good bit of time just burning AvGas and enjoying each other’s company. He taught me a lot about RVs in general and was a great guy and a great instructor. He will be missed. RIP

thanks for posting this. see you at jans celibration of life.
IMG-1215.jpg

Sad news for sure.
Our condolences to Jan's family.
My son and I traveled from Michigan for transition training from Jan 12 years ago just before finishing up our 7A.
I also needed a BFR from Jan and was a little nervous since I had been getting it for 30 years from the same instructor in Michigan but since I was there thought I would get it done.
Jan made the whole experience perfect. We did the one hour ground instruction while the three of us enjoyed hamburgers at OBE restaurant.
He did good, we now have over 700 hours on our plane.
Thanks Jan
RIP

I got my transition training from Jan almost two years ago. His demonstration of what a 6A could really do and scared the **** out of me but made me a better pilot and gave me the confidence I needed. He also demonstrated the perfect impossible turn for me.
The RV community has lost a valuable asset to flight safety .
Rest In Peace Jan.

Tom are you talking about a turn back to the airport just after taking off?
He had me fly that and after 12 years I can't remember what altitude we turned back from? If you can remember please post. Thanks.

Jan gave me my RV transition and tailwheel endorsement back in 2013. I got 59 landings in 2 days in the middle of summer in Florida. I could not believe he was up for that! Super nice guy and a great instructor. Tailwinds!

With sadness...

So sorry to hear of Mr. Jan's passing. He provided me with my transition training in his 6A back in 2012. Yes indeed a good man! Jan... tailwinds and may your rest be eternally peaceful.

RIP Jan,
Got a RV transition and BFR from him in 2013.
Can't believe he didn't yell at me when I kept bouncing his RV-6.
First instructor to teach me a very valuable accelerated stall.

I flew with Jan in his RV-6. He was instrumental in getting me back flying after a seven-year hiatus while I was building my Rocket. I learned quite a bit from him and also gained a lot of respect for the strength of an RV-6’s landing gear. I still harem in my headset “hold what you got, hold what you got, hold what you got“ you will be missed by everyone who flew with you. Godspeed Jan.

Prayers outgoing

I never met Jan in person or got to shake his hand but I easily referred over 100 new RV (and other types with the third wheel in the correct place) to him for training.
I talked to him regularly over the 15 years I lived in Central FL, a genuinely nice guy who always took the time to ask how I was doing, truly caring about people.
I will always remember his phone conversations. "Smokey, pull the throttle back, talk slower, take it easy....now that's what I'm talking about!
:)

Prayers for his family.
V/R
Smokey

Great Instructor

I also had the pleasure of training with Jan. He had an easy going and calming personality and style. Very knowledgeable and great at instructing, besides being a great person.

Jan trained me to fly RVs. After two days in his -6A, flying the -8A for the first time was smooth as silk. He packed a lot of training into a short time - a gifted instructor who still was filled with enthusiasm after all those years.

Blue skies and tailwinds, sir, and thank you for helping so many of us.

memorial service flyover

The formation group out of Venice (Gulf Coast Raptors) is planning a flyover at the start of Jan's memorial service at 11AM on Saturday Dec 4. Nearly all of us got our transition training with Jan.

If you would like to join, please let me know via email:
flmike2001 at the yahoo dot com (remove the obvious extra text)

Plan to brief at Okeechobee (KOBE) at 10AM.

Please include any information on plane type, formation credentials, etc. with your email so I can start planning.

Thanks

Remembering Jan

Jan provided my RV-6 transition training a little over three years ago. At the time he was recovering from a bout of illness and he had no idea what it was, but it put him down hard for a couple weeks. That was right after his pressure-carb failed and he had to return to a recently departed runway. I remember showing up at his home thinking that with the 25 knot winds we would only do ground. Fortunately, I was mistaken. He had to help me out at least twice when that plane started a wide arc into the wind while taking off. At the end of day 2 he signed me off and I've often referred to my notes from that training.
I remember the impossible-turn lesson, starting at 600' over the ground, but I've yet to gather enough courage to try that again.

He was a great instructor and a caring husband. I felt totally welcome in his home and we talked of maybe meeting up at his Tennessee cabin sometime in the future. Rest in peace, Jan. You made a huge and positive impact to the RV community.

More detail

For those interested in attending the gathering for Jan Bussell's Celebration of Life. It is being held December 4th from 11:00 - 3:00 at River Acres Airpark (FD70) at the hangar of Shane O'Cain. You are welcome to fly in or drive in. If driving in the address is 19935 NW 80th Drive Okeechobee. After 12:30 BBQ, sides, dessert and beverages are provided. Casting of Ashes planned for 3:00pm. Bring your RV Grin which maybe Jan helped provide.
Mike King

Jan Mr. Transtition

I sure am sad to read about this, sure will miss hearing his voice in the KOBE pattern getting more future RV pilots ready for their adventures. Like all of you, I thought I broke his RV6 on every landing during training. Sure hope to see you at his celebration tomorrow.

Back