What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: WAAS GPS antenna doubler

What was your WAAS GPS antenna doubler solution?

• No doubler, installed antenna directly to skin

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Installed a loose doubler, not permanently attached to skin

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Riveted doubler to skin

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Glued doubler to skin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I'm at that point with my RV-14 where I have to bite the bullet and drill some holes in my perfectly good fuselage top skin. I am wondering what the latest wisdom is on installing a doubler. I am using the GA-35 antenna.

Yep, make a doubler, easy, there's a pattern in the box :)

Just install it inside with the screws, no permanent attachment needed.

With whatever scrap you have laying around :D
Due to my particular set of skills, I have a very wide variety of scrap aluminum. As I've said elsewhere, I run an equal-opportunity shop: Every part I touch has an equal opportunity to become scrap. :)

Due to my particular set of skills, I have a very wide variety of scrap aluminum. As I've said elsewhere, I run an equal-opportunity shop: Every part I touch has an equal opportunity to become scrap. :)

This made my morning! I have my own aluminum recycling center. It runs the gamut, from primer and paint experiments, to countersink cage calibration coupons, and father-daughter riveting sessions. :D

Doublers are typically the same thickness as the skin or one gauge thicker.

Yep, make a doubler, easy, there's a pattern in the box :)

Just install it inside with the screws, no permanent attachment needed.

Similar approach:

IMG_0127.jpg

Have you considered mounting it under the top cowling? I have had good luck with this in a few aircraft
I know that many people have had good luck with mounting the GTN 650 GPS antenna under the cowl. I am choosing to follow Garmin's installation requirements for it. I do plan to put the PFD's little GPS antenna under the cowl, though. That is a much nicer place than on top of the glare shield, in my opinion.

The load from such a low drag antenna is so low that I don't think a doubler is really required.

Back