What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cutting spacer/bushings

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
On most of the RV aircraft you are required to cut some small spacers. An example would be on the RV14 brake pedals. A spacer is used to go between the brake pedal and the brake cylinder. This particular spacer is 5/16" long and is made from a thick walled tubing supplied that has an ID of 3/16". Getting a square cut can be tricky and I will show you the method that I use.
User alert: this involves power tools and if you have not had some experience working with power tools you should probably NOT use this method.

1. measure the required length 5/16" I use a calliper, locked in place, to make the mark so that all subsequent pieces will have the same measurement.
I then take a tubing cutter and use it to scribe a square line around the tube. You can not use the cutter to cut this thick tubing but it makes a great mark. A couple of light turns will be enough

2w3uasw.jpg

2. Here is the fun part, you turn your drill press into a lathe. Set it up for a slow tuning speed. I chuck the marked tubing and with the drill turning use a hack saw to cut above the line. A cut off wheel will also work, off the drill, but the end may not be square.

m7rvh2.jpg

3. After the small part cuts off and you spend more time finding it then it took to cut it off, set it aside for a minute. Now take a file, I use a vixen file, turn the drill on and use the file to smooth the end of the long piece that is still in the drill. This will give you a square end for your next spacer.

zq2on.jpg

4. Now take the small cut off piece and carefully insert it into the chuck. It can only go in a very short distance as the item is quite small. Be careful to not tighten too much or you will crush the tube. Using your file again carefully cut to the line that we first scribed on the tubing. Part one complete

2liyb90.jpg

5. If you use the same technique on all the spacers they should turn out the same length. A little buffing on the 3M wheel and they are ready to install.

11sh7ph.jpg

6. Please be careful but have fun with your new small parts lathe!

That's the same method I use, except to square off the ends and final trim to exact size I lay the file flat on the table and lower the chucked piece onto it. Emery paper works even better than the file.

That's a great tip on the ends to get them flat. I wish I'd have seen this earlier!

But, one thing about the actual cutting...mine cut fine when using the tubing cutter. I went slow and they just cut nice and easy in no time. If I'd have just seen the file and drill press trick for making everything smooth and flat, it would have gone perfectly.

Thanks!
Tim

Back