What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B question: GDL 50 vs 50R benefits

polkaking27

I posted this in another topic and realized it probably should have gone here in the ADS-b area

Can anyone weigh in on the advantages of going with a gdl 50r over the gdl 50? I have a G3X in my -8 and want the ads-b in for obvious reason plus to use as a backup ahrs as well as run a rear iPad for the passenger. It appears that the gdl 50 would be a much easier and more versatile option than the 50r. If I use a designated cig lighter to power it I shouldn?t ever have power issues, I could potentially remote mount it somewhere and run a remote antenna, and I also have the versatility of removing it and taking it to another plane if needed. Is there some huge benefit to the 50r that I?m missing???

I posted this in another topic and realized it probably should have gone here in the ADS-b area

Can anyone weigh in on the advantages of going with a gdl 50r over the gdl 50? I have a G3X in my -8 and want the ads-b in for obvious reason plus to use as a backup ahrs as well as run a rear iPad for the passenger. It appears that the gdl 50 would be a much easier and more versatile option than the 50r. If I use a designated cig lighter to power it I shouldn?t ever have power issues, I could potentially remote mount it somewhere and run a remote antenna, and I also have the versatility of removing it and taking it to another plane if needed. Is there some huge benefit to the 50r that I?m missing???

Hello PK,

I had a GDL 39R in my G3X Touch EAB aircraft for several years and removed it and installed a GDL 52R when that became available, so I am definitely in the camp of preferring the remote mount models over the portable models.

ACtC-3dxXCNMySE7Gj2qvqBN8BH_0wL8xLB6JcQ6c7iRuBIPXTCMOtOBBPBJdg20e3vNQJ5SkC0pgHGEanKepfHM0dU75ReZwlOy-0yFB8Tj_wvIVysr07-5wM13P80-fL69MU3qCw16u9zYg9w6zvWSeuW4=w509

The big reason for my preference is the robustness of the installation. You don't have to install a special bare wire cable for the GDL 50R, just wire in aircraft power, ground, and both RS-232 interfaces to the DB-15 connector. The GPS and ADS-B antenna connections are robust BNC connectors.

If you try to use a remote ADS-B antenna on the GDL 50 portable unit, you end up having to remove the fold up antenna and use a tiny MCX connector, which I don't personally consider acceptable for a permanent installation.

pd-01-lg-7c17fe11-df46-4635-972c-f9dc224ff5d3.jpg

They are both great units, and my recommendation is to buy the portable GDL 50 unit if you really must have a portable unit for use in multiple aircraft, otherwise buy and install the GDL 50R remote unit which is very much optimized for permanent installation and highest performance (with a bottom mounted ADS-B antenna).

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello PK,

I had a GDL 39R in my G3X Touch EAB aircraft for several years and removed it and installed a GDL 52R when that became available, so I am definitely in the camp of preferring the remote mount models over the portable models.

5iaLswLOeKB2BCcZfSQq8xvuk8595CCVOAaVVxFG8XLQdwEDPR3rUhjys0yQESWZbdo8aPtHi58W-wVc-9VzM_0UuKoxUyMP0Qg85NHERPaXrg1hDhNi8PnF-GTi_NTBLGoO66NT2ldv_oPzvuabcM3SIUlSsSO5cb4dRYrs_Q_dJ8-e1oindq8S5pr4ki8l_InrB74fCeRcxnAI1_a0z_QLffIJ9O3VCmDLcqA6u1FN0JB0VR46Z57HkDuMI9vMJ3NwKbiM1QOn0DWAPL4NsIPxsO97PI-0Us3Ql0AdytruYv39_KUTdugpO9K8ICuqMA3xyDkZtxKpy1xF772ToS8MB59ULZ8PCHs3HifgPpwgHTnowWoIfijwhD5--XZfA45Q460MREl8dgTSdOF4Fy2jO_GUW3Ldd3VusUBGGQnEPoWL7xzX4Drdd7TlFZvFzr9HObXKLkMyNHMLtRuqKWQyKFhvLIUbJZ6brZ179CVt7xRK48FGYA43ppzifqZ3dCKPKeOmY-rLOONRtyd7GHuUbpD9exeiubAOyJtOSg89CZH6ZMq8nC8f9IQ4oyTouuqUrnEwsR29Ea6kOGnAcZC_lhitMxBBVN7nZvbSTR6U1KllXigwlu5uu7KDMZNw=w488-h287-no

The big reason for my preference is the robustness of the installation. You don't have to install a special bare wire cable for the GDL 50R, just wire in aircraft power, ground, and both RS-232 interfaces to the DB-15 connector. The GPS and ADS-B antenna connections are robust BNC connectors.

If you try to use a remote ADS-B antenna on the GDL 50 portable unit, you end up having to remove the fold up antenna and use a tiny MCX connector, which I don't personally consider acceptable for a permanent installation.

nk4egckoKJ2WC1U4ioo-bDxKqDQaXqWtiI87gAlAyUKlwhKh19zRvuAfrnH45ALVIbN2Umk7TSsW815RbPjt304dh5dGbBSfLmwuOvYaCeuVJsd-S1nFg2yGfIR3W1yzTMLp1w3vhGBQXP49dPwwBxQpXa0iDz8BitzEZ4N-qZvWp4SGD4k3eKlJ3HXDYFEEBousU96xKVAQ7DQH_sJQec-WxcnT9_ft-KavhMUIMoWdVgJV3s0kY85H_HeqQJcQ66hBeoUyxWIh8xcrss2RMt5vt9pylTE6Ld56LtJwSBnclHfL0kA6ZXOx8oA-BH9edLnDoZimJwHkcJX6nv4XSk7__CuH5sINI_BRKQeFSGUuaEpcCLPZIz2yvpG1K7wedebY4KX4MG_FWP2CxS-bKv4wkrRGuvHZF3vGWBUEGUMo_JtKql0b1T_yHWtr3TNAW6HQaEkKVSUGTOWnAlK3OU83ZlUqDTnxqMHBpNAhmFG4eBNh81nx2SO1sofRFIGm8vP1tGYiGlM2gXYoHzGmxL_lCgHbAGLmGPwxlHo9VKMy7i0WadrtMWXoue6gNaeGu9rbXQMFMINn54m7kLGHJZC_aHD-T8N1DUdgTXc=w525-h351-no

They are both great units, and my recommendation is to buy the portable GDL 50 unit if you really must have a portable unit for use in multiple aircraft, otherwise buy and install the GDL 50R remote unit which is very much optimized for permanent installation and highest performance (with a bottom mounted ADS-B antenna).

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve! Good to know all of that! So to wire the GDL50 to the G3x instead of using the bluetooth connectivity would I have to get the bare wire adaptor and pin the DB15 connector? Would that give me power too, so I wouldn't have to use a cig lighter? And does that power come from the G3x or do I also need to tap into aircraft power from somewhere else?
If I did the 50R does all the wiring come with it, or would I have to purchase additional wiring?

Does using the MCX connector reduce functionality of the unit, or you just don't like removing it when the unit goes in and out.

On the GDL50 if I used a remote antenna would that be both GPS or just the ADS-B. Is the gps or ADS-B antenna internal of the 50?

I can probably go either way, especially because the cost is the same, but ease of installation and less important, portability, are my 2 big concerns.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! Good to know all of that!

Hello PK,

So to wire the GDL50 to the G3x instead of using the bluetooth connectivity would I have to get the bare wire adaptor and pin the DB15 connector? Would that give me power too, so I wouldn't have to use a cig lighter? And does that power come from the G3x or do I also need to tap into aircraft power from somewhere else?

Page 4-1 of the GDL 5X Installation Manual shows the 010-11686-40 bare wire power/data cable that plugs into the small connector on the side of the GDL 50.

pd-01-lg-7c17fe11-df46-4635-972c-f9dc224ff5d3.jpg

This cable comes with the small connector and wires, and there are only 6 wires you need to worry with (power, ground, and 2 pairs of RS-232 Tx/Rx wires). There is no 15 pin D-sub connector when using this approach. Your Tx/Rx data lines will go directly to a spare RS-232 port on your display(s), and the power and ground will go to a separate fuse/switch or circuit breaker. It also comes with an inline fuse holder if you want to power it more directly. You would not use a cigarette lighter adapter for power with this cable. The power does not come from the display.

If I did the 50R does all the wiring come with it, or would I have to purchase additional wiring?
You order a 15 pin D-sub connector kit with the GDL 50R and build your own harness with the supplied standard density pins. Anyone with a pin crimper can quickly add the 6 wires if you don't want to invest in a crimp tool.

Does using the MCX connector reduce functionality of the unit, or you just don't like removing it when the unit goes in and out.
It is just less robust than the normal large coax cable and BNC connectors that are used on aircraft antenna. The built-in fold up antenna on the GDL 50 is quite good with the unit sitting on the glare shield, so I would use that if you decide to buy a portable unit instead of a remote installed unit.

On the GDL50 if I used a remote antenna would that be both GPS or just the ADS-B. Is the gps or ADS-B antenna internal of the 50?
With a G3X Touch system, or any Garmin portable like the Aera 660/796, the GDU or portable provide GPS data to the GDL 50/50R, so you never have to worry about installing/using the GPS antenna on the GDL 50/50R. In other words, there is only a single antenna for the ADS-B signal needed for the GDL 50R. I use one of these low cost antennas, and I can see ADS-B stations over 100 nm away at 9,500'.
ACtC-3cRWmWSZDksuN-jkniHh9IlESL5GQl-S7gkG1xBDCmBHXz5W17YeilrDD9R9GD5AmqI80vNPz16AGKc3H2gFn8PRBSrEAnYiQ51MqWr9jzMZdfSvXB-fYCeXBHxmmBUNgGEg50GRaZyziMT6B46cib6=w116

I can probably go either way, especially because the cost is the same, but ease of installation and less important, portability, are my 2 big concerns.

Thanks

You are welcome,
Steve

Last edited:
Aera 500 and GDL50

For the Garmin expert.
I have a GDL39 hard wired to Aera 500 using the same bare wire data cable for traffic/weather the GDL50 uses. I want to replace the 39 with the GDL50.
Will the GDL50 talk to the Aera 500 (traffic/weather) through my GDL39 data cable (p/n 010-11686-40)? Tx,Rx and color codes are identical.
Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
GDL 5X Receivers

For the Garmin expert.
I have a GDL39 hard wired to Aera 500 using the same bare wire data cable for traffic/weather the GDL50 uses. I want to replace the 39 with the GDL50.
Will the GDL50 talk to the Aera 500 (traffic/weather) through my GDL39 data cable (p/n 010-11686-40)? Tx,Rx and color codes are identical.
Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,

The Aera 500 series are not compatible with the GDL 50 ADS-B receivers. The GDL 50 units were developed around the Connext format, which the Aera 500 units do not have the ability to support. The same can be said for the GPSMAP 696, however the Aera 660, 760 and 796 are all compatible with the GDL 50 series receivers.

Thanks,

Justin

I installed the 52R and am extremely happy with its performance. I definitely wanted a remote mount because I don?t like anything on the glare shield.

I installed a GDL 52 (portable model) in my RV-8 behind the G3X screen forward of the panel. I also have multiple other airplanes so I can switch out the 52 (and it's one SXM subscription) between them. I merely bought extra quick-release base mounts and bare wire cables for the other airplanes. I then installed belly antennas for ADS-B in and SXM puck antennas. The GDL 5X does not need a GPS antenna if it's connected to a Garmin GPS unit like the area series as they share position with each other. In the case of the 52 I also have a stereo mini plug that is hard wired directly into the stereo audio panel or intercom depending on aircraft. I also bought a GDL 50 that pops into the same mounts and uses the same bare wire GDL cable as the GDL 52. That way I have at least two airplanes covered with "in" at any one time and I can make sure the 52 is docked in the airplane going on a longer flight.

I prefer the portable versions because the can easily be moved between airplanes and have a built-in battery back up battery. And in the case of the 52 I can splurge for a SXM account that is shared across all airframes. I have docks in the RV-8, RV-3, Husky, Cessna 180, Cessna 140 and Comanche 260B with plans for more. None of these are on the glare shield as they interface with external antennas and Garmin aera GPSs. I can also take the portable version with me to ferry aircraft or when traveling in a friend's airplane.

The "R" models are designed to be a permanent built-in solution for one aircraft. As Steve mentioned above I know the MCX connectors on the portable version are not as robust as the BNC connectors on the R models. The old GDL 39 used SMC connectors which are threaded and those are more robust too. I don't know why Garmin went with MCX on the newer GDLs. Garmin cal sell more R models since they are not as flexible. I have had no trouble at all with the MCX connectors and it only takes a few minutes to swap the non-R GDL 5X units between birds. So less up-front costs with only one or two GDL units along with less money on SXM since one account covers lots of airplanes.

Jim

I have docks in the RV-8, RV-3, Husky, Cessna 180, Cessna 140 and Comanche 260B with plans for more. None of these are on the glare shield as they interface with external antennas and Garmin aera GPSs. I can also take the portable version with me to ferry aircraft or when traveling in a friend's airplane.

So less up-front costs with only one or two GDL units along with less money on SXM since one account covers lots of airplanes.

Jim

Hmmm, nut farmer, lots of airplanes, I think I need to look at a career change ;)

I know this is an old thread but thought it better to revive vs starting a new one. With the GDL 50r it was recommended to use the monopole antenna for the ADS-B in reception. Please correct me if wrong but wouldn’t that antenna limit the in traffic to one frequency? The monopole antennas I’ve found are either in the 978 range or 1080 range but not both. If one were to chose the 978 you would receive ADS-B broadcast stations, 978 direct traffic broadcasting within range, and rebroadcasted 1080 traffic pushed by broadcast stations but not direct 1080 traffic. With the 1080 frequency antenna you would receive direct 1080 traffic but no 978 or broadcast stations. Am I interpreting this correct? In areas where there are plenty of stations not having direct 1080 may not be much of an issue since it is rebroadcasted by stations over 978 but out west where station reception can be limited you’d be missing traffic. Is there an antenna that receives both?

I know this is an old thread but thought it better to revive vs starting a new one. With the GDL 50r it was recommended to use the monopole antenna for the ADS-B in reception. Please correct me if wrong but wouldn’t that antenna limit the in traffic to one frequency? The monopole antennas I’ve found are either in the 978 range or 1080 range but not both. If one were to chose the 978 you would receive ADS-B broadcast stations, 978 direct traffic broadcasting within range, and rebroadcasted 1080 traffic pushed by broadcast stations but not direct 1080 traffic. With the 1080 frequency antenna you would receive direct 1080 traffic but no 978 or broadcast stations. Am I interpreting this correct? In areas where there are plenty of stations not having direct 1080 may not be much of an issue since it is rebroadcasted by stations over 978 but out west where station reception can be limited you’d be missing traffic. Is there an antenna that receives both?

I used the monopole transponder antenna spec'd for 1030 to 1090 Mhz for years on my GDL 52R and it always worked perfectly for ADS-B traffic (both frequencies) and weather.

A couple of months ago I switched to the monopole antenna optimized for 978 Mhz, and it works equally well for ADS-B traffic (both frequencies) and weather. I can't tell the difference.

Steve

Back