What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Epoxy Temp Rating

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hi, I'm fabricating a plenum for my 9A.
Can I use West System 205 resin, or do I need to go with a higher temp rating resin?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi, I'm fabricating a plenum for my 9A.
Can I use West System 205 resin, or do I need to go with a higher temp rating resin?

West 105/206 has a relatively low Tg (glass transition temperature), the point at which the solid resin starts acting like rubber. Doesn't mean you can't use it. Just don't expect the part to be stiff at elevated temperature. Not all parts need to be real stiff.

Alternatives? Resin Services HTR-212/386-99 (available from Spruce) lists a very high Tg, too high really, and the person who responds to email avoids specific questions. I've built some parts with it, but I'm not buying any more.

Steve Smith has suggested MGS 285/287 as a reliable choice with a decent Tg, and they publish good info: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/mgsresin.php

Thanks

Thanks Dan - very helpful

Any ideas what the temp under a plenum might reach? On the ground?, in flight? After shutdown?

Thanks Dan - very helpful

Any ideas what the temp under a plenum might reach? On the ground?, in flight? After shutdown?

OAT plus a few degrees in flight.

Air temp at 220F is possible after shutdown on a hot day...but there is no structural load then. I think a plenum lid would cool very quickly as structural load resumed, post takeoff.

Back