What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Helmet PIREP

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
I have been flying now for a few hours with a helmet; enough experience with it to have a good set of initial impressions which I thought I'd share.

First, my primary reason for moving to the helmet is that I had a mitral valve failure last fall, and therefore I now have a spanky new mechanical one which requires me to be on anticoagulants (warfarin/coumadin) for the rest of my life. One of the issues with anticoagulation is that you are somewhat more vulnerable to brain bleeds if you take a hard head bump. I am 6'3", putting my head pretty close to the canopy, and fly an A model (enough said about that for now) to boot, and have had enough close calls with birds that I decided it was worth trying the brain bucket.

I bought a lightly used HGU-55 shell on ebay, minus inner liner, earcups and earphones, and visors. This suited me fine, as I would need to replace the low impedance military electronics with high impedance GA stuff anyway. I purchased Headsets Inc's helmet ANR kit and ear cups, and scavenged a mic boom and DC electret mic off an unused headset I had lying around, got a properly fitted Oregon Aero Zetaliner, got everything wired up (with a couple of tries) and was in business. I have flip up Scheyden prescription sunglasses, so I didn't (at least for now) bother with visors.

Initial impressions: Comfort - a really pleasant surprise is how comfy this setup is; the helmet (especially without visors) is extremely light, and distributes the clamping force over your whole head, as opposed to through a narrow headset band. The zetaliner really contributes to this; I have no pressure points or hot spots at all, not even where my sunglasses go through the ear pads. So far I've worn it up to 1.5 hrs at a time, and felt I could have worn it all day without feeling any the worse for it. Visibility - the HGU-55 is cut high and wide to facilitate visibility, and the helmet does not intrude on my upward or peripheral vision at all. The only proviso is that I kind of miss the brim on my ball cap shading my eyes. I may end up fitting a snap on visor at some point to address this. Sound attenuation - without ANR, it's decent, but when its turned on the noise cancellation is impressive; much more pronounced attenuation than with my Gulf Coast Avionics (Lightspeed made) ANR sets used previously. Totally cuts out the low frequency engine noise and makes for a very quiet cockpit. Looks - Well, anyone who accuses me of wearing a fighter helmet cause I want to look cool clearly hasn't seen me in it. For those of you who remember the Flintstones, the best way to describe my appearance is that I look an awful lot like The Great Gazoo. Enough said.

At the end of the day, I have found a lot of positives, some expected and some not, with this change, and no negatives worth mentioning. I had worried about comfort, about weight, and about clearance in the cockpit, (particularly considering my height). Surprisingly (at least to me) I found all these areas were improved compared to headsets. In other words, I am giving up nothing, and in fact improving those areas, in trade for the extra margin of safety.

Sorry for writing a novel. Thought this might be of interest for any other pilots considering trying a helmet, so I thought I'd add my .02 to the knowledge base.

It is. This has been on the back of my mind since DR wrote about acquiring his helmet. Do you have picts of the mods you made?

--
Stephen

No, I'm afraid I don't. The helmet looks exactly like every other standard issue green HGU-55, minus the sliding visors. The zetaliner doesn't come from the helmet manufacturer, but is pretty much the standard issue for military pilots in both Canada and the US. Their website is oregonaero.com. The hard ear cups (best to avoid the older style leather ear cups; they have much poorer passive noise attenuation) look just like the original. The mic boom is a normal articulating wire boom found on many headsets. For more info on the ANR setup, Headsets Inc website (headsetsinc.com) gives lots of pics and info. Hope that's helpful!

I can second the recommendation for the Headsets Inc inserts in a helmet. In my case I upgraded a surplus Alpha helicopter helmet. I kept the stock mic, which seems to work fine in my RV. I was on the lookout for an HGU-55 as well, but the Alpha came up at a price I couldn't refuse and it's been excellent. I particularly like the drop-down tinted visor... One quick touch to raise or lower. I hope I'll only ever need it for sun, not bird strikes!

The only complaint I have is about battery life, the 9V power pack only lasts half as long as the two AA power pack in my Lightspeed Zulu. I plan to install LEMO connectors and move to ships power but haven't done it yet.

I did much the same thing - good condition HGU-55p off eBay plus a Headsets Inc. stereo ANR conversion. I couldn't be happier with this setup - the *only* drawback I have found is that some folks think I wear it because I'm a fighter-pilot wannabe. While there may be some truth to that, it's pretty far down on the list of positives for wearing the helmet. :)

The sound quality is better than anything else I've tried, the visibility is better as compared to sunglasses and a hat, and the helmet doesn't slide around or off when doing acro as my Flightcom Denalis sometimes do.

It does weird passengers out though, so I guess that's a second drawback. On those occasions I just grab the aforementioned Denalis.

Last edited:
I've had an Alpha 900, with aircraft powered ANR, for 4+ years. One can debate the merits of the various makes, but bottom line has to be any helmet is a huge safety step forward over none - and IMHO of more likely benefit than a chute.

I paid extra to customise in terms of:
  1. Integral ANR - using aircraft power via Lemo / Mic Tip, and adpater leads / ANR box for aircraft not so equipped
  2. Single visor only to improve head clearance - a real factor in SBS RVs. However, does mean on cloudy days I do not have visor protection
  3. Removing hard cover for soft cloth cover - as above v clearance.
I devised this at some point, been linked before: Helmets in GA

It does weird passengers out though, so I guess that's a second drawback
This is an issue if you regularly fly differing passengers - a poor fitting helmet loses almost all the advantages...

This is an issue if you regularly fly differing passengers - a poor fitting helmet loses almost all the advantages...

To clarify, I don't have a helmet for them - they wear headsets. Having the pilot wear a helmet doesn't fill them with confidence, especially after seeing the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard on the read baggage wall :)

BTW - thanks for compiling that list. Your list was a primary factor in my decision to ignore the naysayers and wear a helmet in addition to a chute for my phase one testing and acro flights.

the *only* drawback I have found is that some folks think I wear it because I'm a fighter-pilot wannabe. While there may be some truth to that, it's pretty far down on the list of positives for wearing the helmet. :)

I feel the same way. I actually suspect that this issue exists primarily in my own mind and others probably aren't giving it any thought at all, but who knows! Once my son gets his HGU-55 converted for GA (he got his the old fashioned way, earning his RCAF and USAF wings on the T-38), we will look like a pair of wannabes. Of course, anyone thinking that will only be half right, as one of us is the real deal. Too bad the poor boy is stuck with me as PIC in the RV;)

To clarify, I don't have a helmet for them - they wear headsets. Having the pilot wear a helmet doesn't fill them with confidence, especially after seeing the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard on the read baggage wall :)

I haven't quite got this issue sorted out yet myself. Aside from the confidence thing, it seems kind of...selfish...to have the extra protection for myself and not be providing it for my passenger. I can always fall back on the warfarin defense, I suppose.

The only complaint I have is about battery life, the 9V power pack only lasts half as long as the two AA power pack in my Lightspeed Zulu. I plan to install LEMO connectors and move to ships power but haven't done it yet.

Good to know; I'll keep an eye on the batteries and look into those connectors. Headsets Inc does have an aircraft power connection kit on their site as well.

Last edited:
I have about 500 hours now on my HGU-55 helmet in my RV-8A. I did a review on my experience with various headsets and the helmet a few years ago at http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32375&highlight=helmet. The Headsets Inc ANR is on par with Lightspeed and Bose in terms of performance IMHO, and with the Oregon Aero liner the helmet is very comfortable. I love using the visor in lieu of sunglasses/hat/headset combo. I originally got the helmet as part of a bunch of stuff somebody else was selling with no plans for long term use. Figured I'd use it for the flight test phase and then go back to headsets. Once I got it set up I loved it and have never looked back.

[climbing on soapbox] I decided long ago to ignore people who make fun of helmets and flight suits. Why is it that you can wear spandex and a bike helmet when you go out for a ride on your bicycle, or leather and a motorcycle helmet to ride your crotch rocket or Harley, and nobody gives it a second thought, but if you put on nomex and a flight helmet to go fly your sport plane, some people assume that it's merely an image thing, like some sort of Halloween costume with no real benefit for flying? The military doesn't make their pilots wear this gear because it looks cool in movies, they do it because there are practical and safety benefits. I won't deny that I would love to own an afterburning fighter, and that my RV-8A in T-6A colors is my poor man's substitute, but my reasons for wearing the helmet at this point are purely practical/safety related and I never give it much thought anymore when flying my own airplane. Actually in some ways having a military paint scheme makes it easier to wear the helmet...some people may snicker but there's also a perception among both pilots and the general public that the two go hand in hand. Whenever I get in a spam can or a friend's homebuilt in a more 'civilian' paint scheme, I find myself wishing I had the HGU-55, but am more conscious of the fact that others will see it as totally out of place. It's too bad more pilots don't wear safety gear simply because they worry about perceptions that it doesn't belong in GA. [climbing off soapbox]

Mark Navratil
RV-8A N2D

Well said, Mark. I wear nomex flight suits most of the time too; I wear them (same ones) when I drive my car on the track, why wouldn't I wear them in my airplane, the purpose for which they were designed?

I am still of two minds on the visors; on the one hand, I have my flipup bifocal prescription sunglasses already. My regular glasses are progressives, which (at least in the RCAF) are frowned on for use in flying, so without buying another pair of untinted bifocals, I can't switch to using the visor anyway. On the other hand, the visor provides much more complete light filtering without gaps around frames, etc, and (and this is the biggest thing for me personally) adds considerably to protection in the event of a bird coming through the canopy. Tough call.

Back