What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke Helper System Install

fatherson

Well Known Member
Note: I'm posting this for Todd Hanson. He is user Flydoctor0014 here, and his direct email is <[email protected]>

Hi Guys,

I just installed a smoke system on my plane and I wanted to pass it on for whatever it is worth. I chose the system from Smoke System Helper because it was a "A. beautiful tank" that, "B. fit nicely right behind the passenger seat". I like the idea of "C. Staying on the CG" and especially "D. not taking up any room in the passenger compartment". The system is about 4.5 gallons, so it's slightly bigger by a gallon than that popular-system-out-there's smallest version and also a little cheaper.

I gotta tell you the guy, Marvin Homsley was a jewel to work with. I also like the way all the little fittings came "loosely assembled" instead of all in a scrambled bag. Every single part, screw, clamp was included in the kit for easy installation.

Anyway, here are the install photos some have asked for privately. Thanks to Stephen Humphrey for assisting in this post. I can't seem to master it? :)

I had to cut off the lower corners of each mounting tab.

Added a strip of Velcro to avoid metal to metal contact.

Installed on passenger side, right between seatbelt mounts.

Photo shows pump mounted behind pilot seat. Oil tubing is underneath and passes thru to other side.

Routing of smoke hose/tubing

Bulkhead fitting in lower section of photo shows tube split into both sides.

Photo shows nozzles into exhaust. The spray nozzles are very nice.

As you see, it literally takes up zero baggage room. I think these would also make nice aux tanks.

(hint: click any of the images to see the original larger size)

Here's a video of it working (10.5 MB, M4V):

Respectfully,

Todd Hanson

Smoke Helper

Thanks Stephen for helping me post! Much appreciated! Smoke ON!

PS: the last photo appears to have done a 180 reverse and looks like its behind the pilot seat. Not sure how I "muffed" that, but I promise it's on the right side behind passenger seat... Sorry. Bottom line, it doesn't take any room! (On either side)

Last edited:
Very nice, thanks for sharing. I am also right in the middle of installing this system and will be posting my pics soon. And I agree, Marvin has been great to work with.

Back