What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trig 22 Help out?

flipfloplife

I'm New Here
New to me aircraft from serial builder. The plane is awesome.

Trig 22 w/ 72 as the source.

10 flights with it. No one can see a secondary on me.

Talked to Bruce at Trig yesterday. We went through all the settings together. They are all "good". Checked the antenna is connected.

Am I missing something BIG PICTURE? If my track block data was wrong -- ok, solvable --- but not seeing me at all? Bruce assured me all is well. But it's certainly not (went over to my local tracon and got an education...). Am I supposed to do some special mystical process the first time to get it going?

Bruce indicated to me that because we are seeing a GPS location when i go through the FN operations that indicates the antenna is good to go, that the GPS and transponder antenna are the same (if i was understanding him correctly).

Went out today with newfound confidence -- and no joy. Any thoughts on what to troubleshoott next?

I have read a whole lot and learned a whole lot over the years on this forum, i believe it is likely the hands down best avionics forum on the planet. Thank you in advance.

scott

Last edited:
New to me aircraft from serial builder. The plane is awesome.
Trig 22 w/ 72 as the source.
10 flights with it. No one can see a secondary on me.
Talked to Bruce at Trig yesterday. We went through all the settings together. They are all "good". Checked the antenna is connected.
Am I missing something BIG PICTURE? If my track block data was wrong -- ok, solvable --- but not seeing me at all? Bruce assured me all is well. But it's certainly not (went over to my local tracon and got an education...). Am I supposed to do some special mystical process the first time to get it going?
Bruce indicated to me that because we are seeing a GPS location when i go through the FN operations that indicates the antenna is good to go, that the GPS and transponder antenna are the same (if i was understanding him correctly).
Went out today with newfound confidence -- and no joy. Any thoughts on what to troubleshoott next?
I have read a whole lot and learned a whole lot over the years on this forum, i believe it is likely the hands down best avionics forum on the planet. Thank you in advance.
scott

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but the GPS and the transponder do NOT use the same antenna. The TT22 has its' antenna and the TN72 has its' own.

I've installed this combination in 2 different aircraft and had no problems with either.

Last edited:
hmmm.... well i have 3 antenna's on top of the aircraft.

one is labelled trig and looks like a GPS puck (i'm a boat guy...). the next one is a wire one, bent, maybe 3' total length (seems like VHF of which i have one). The last one ... i believe is a 13' fiberglass with no bend (pencil style).

all 3 seem to have tight connections -- BUT --- if the transponder has a different ant than the GPS one (and i misunderstood bruce) then it is possible that somehow the connection at the back of the 22 is not seated or proper (tough to get to. i know the TN20 and TN72 are good (easier to get to) as far as seated etc.

so that makes sense. i have nothing else that transmits...just a VHF and that transponder setup (sorry, first small airplane, not smart).

You should have a small antenna on the bottom of the plane, about 3" long steel rod.

11-17970.jpg

Might have a blade style instead.

DSC01691.jpg

This is for the transmit output of the Trig 22.

Last edited:
hmmm.... well i have 3 antenna's on top of the aircraft.
one is labelled trig and looks like a GPS puck (i'm a boat guy...). the next one is a wire one, bent, maybe 3' total length (seems like VHF of which i have one). The last one ... i believe is a 13' fiberglass with no bend (pencil style).
all 3 seem to have tight connections -- BUT --- if the transponder has a different ant than the GPS one (and i misunderstood bruce) then it is possible that somehow the connection at the back of the 22 is not seated or proper (tough to get to. i know the TN20 and TN72 are good (easier to get to) as far as seated etc.
so that makes sense. i have nothing else that transmits...just a VHF and that transponder setup (sorry, first small airplane, not smart).

The TT22 must have a short stub or blade antenna on the bottom of the aircraft.

Antennae on top should be a GPS (puck) style, a Com antenna (should be about 21-22" long) for each VHF Com radio, and possibly an ELT antenna (lengths can vary here).

For a 3' antenna, I can't think of anything except maybe an ADF sense antenna. And these are pretty rare these days.

Last edited:
there is definitely no blade ant.

i can't believe I haven't seen that little stubby antenna -- makes me want to go out there in the dark and search for it...

ok thanks -- gives me a place to head with this. (and now i'm wondering why I would have 3 antenna's on top -- my gps is aera660, i have a single vhf ... that's about it... hmmm) ---- wait -- got it -- elt !!

thanks gents -- i'll report back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Solved.

Not sure exactly how it got overlooked --- but I added a stub antenna (plugs into the TN20, not the control head for the next person -- that connection is a TNC connection, screw type ---- then a BNC on the antenna end in my case).

Someone had thought of it at some point because there was a hole in the fuselage filled with a plug.

Quick trip to the parts department at the orange store for fitments and I was in business. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

Congratulations!!!

Scott, congrats on finding the problem, and thanks for reporting back----you might save someone else a bit of heartache in the future.

WAIT..........

Solved.
Not sure exactly how it got overlooked --- but I added a stub antenna (plugs into the TN20, not the control head for the next person -- that connection is a TNC connection, screw type ---- then a BNC on the antenna end in my case).
Someone had thought of it at some point because there was a hole in the fuselage filled with a plug.
Quick trip to the parts department at the orange store for fitments and I was in business. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

The stub antenna plugs into the TT22, remote transponder. Not the TN72.

The GPS, puck, antenna plugs into the TN72. I'm pretty sure you have it right. Trig made the antenna connections different to avoid confusion.

Back