What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Re-boot

Is this what you're talking about?

How to Reboot the Display
Press and hold buttons 1, 2 and 5 simultaneously to instantly reboot the system. This may be helpful if you need to cycle power after changing certain settings and for general troubleshooting.

SkyView Classic Pilot’s User Guide – Revision AB 3-7

All the combos

Button 1: Hold to shut down or hold to turn on Skyview
Buttons 1,2,5: Press all together to reboot Skyview
Buttons 2,7: Press together for Screenshot
Buttons 7,8: Hold to enter setup menu

Thanks

All the combos

Button 1: Hold to shut down or hold to turn on Skyview
Buttons 1,2,5: Press all together to reboot Skyview
Buttons 2,7: Press together for Screenshot
Buttons 7,8: Hold to enter setup menu
Thanks. That's going on my checklist

FWIW; I feel the reboot combo is so important that I put a label on each display to have it at all times in addition to having it in my checklist. The last thing I want is to be searching for that particular combo if it goes TU on me in actual IMC. The rest of them are only in my checklist.
Completed Panel 2021.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
Just the other day, I was flying a Dynon Skyview, and while descending, it completely froze up! Airspeed, altitude, attitude. .everything froze! I was able to swap it to another display, but is this common on Dynon? Does this ever happen to Garmin? If I only had one screen, and was in IMC..this could be a disaster.

Easy way to remember this is imagine a Windows computer keyboard and what the reboot key combination is. Ctrl (1) +Alt (2) + Delete (5). That's such an easy way to visualize it that I'm all but certain that this is why they picked that combination.

Just the other day, I was flying a Dynon Skyview, and while descending, it completely froze up! Airspeed, altitude, attitude. .everything froze! I was able to swap it to another display, but is this common on Dynon? Does this ever happen to Garmin? If I only had one screen, and was in IMC..this could be a disaster.

I've experienced a Dynon D100 that occasionally reboots itself in flight. There is no apparent cause or clue for why the screen suddenly goes black and then restarts through the normal boot sequence. No other instruments or avionics exhibit any faults.

FWIW; in 8yrs and over 900hrs of flying I have never had this happen with my dual SkyView system. But failures happen to all systems, no brand is immune. That is why a well designed system with adequate redundancy is critical in our airplanes. YMMV

If you fly in IMC with only one screen, no backups, then yes, you are rolling the dice. With whatever brand efis you might have.
EXACTLY my philosophy.

FWIW; in 8yrs and over 900hrs of flying I have never had this happen with my dual SkyView system. But failures happen to all systems, no brand is immune. That is why a well designed system with adequate redundancy is critical in our airplanes. YMMV

EXACTLY my philosophy.

I wouldn’t fly IMC without a backup.. G5 as a standby is what I’m planning, but this being a new plane that I was flying, 220 hours since new, the Dynon locked up like a cheap computer kinda sealed the deal for me.. I’m not going Dynon in my -8. I would hope this is a super rare glitch.

What software version are you running? 16.0 has just been released, which fixed a bug that could sometime cause problems booting or freezing with certain USB sticks.

What brand of usb sticks were causing the freezing up?

I know the Sandisk 8GB and 16 GB were found to be guilty, but not all of them - some would work, some would not. Other brands were mostly trouble free.

The problem was found and corrected with software version 16.0.1.

I helped a friend work through a Dynon HDX USB compatibility issue. We, too, had issues with the San Disk USB drives. I purchased about a half-dozen other brands off of Amazon and they all work just fine.

Back