Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2021, 06:45 PM

Default RV 14 - Possible to build by yourself?

Doing some long term planning for when I retire in a few years. At that point there would be time, and I could figure out the space (2 car garage).

But is it possible to build solo? I would be the only one doing it. Kids grown and out of the house, and wife would not be involved in the build. Wife is absolutely amazing at almost everything - having interest in and ability to use a simple tool without it being a lethal threat and destroying everything in a 10 meter blast area is not her thing.

Can one person do the riveting and all of the other what not needed?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:54 PM

There were a few times during the build where I needed help:

-Riveting skin on rudder
-Riveting tailcone to fuselage
-Mounting gear legs
-Installing engine to mount
-Installing wings

These are the ones I can currently remember, but overall a one-man job.
YouTube Channel
Build Log
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold
Old 02-02-2021, 07:07 PM

Plenty of builders around that would fly over and help when the time comes just fire the grill up and holler when youíre ready!
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 02-02-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyer21 View Post
There were a few times during the build where I needed help:

-Riveting skin on rudder
-Riveting tailcone to fuselage
-Mounting gear legs
-Installing engine to mount
-Installing wings

These are the ones I can currently remember, but overall a one-man job.
I built a QB -10 almost solo. I needed help for none of the above things. I did get my wife to help with a few rivets in the firewall, where my arms just werenít long enough.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:10 PM

Default EAA

Connect with your local EAA chapter. Lots of experienced builders out there willing to help.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:26 AM

Thanks. Is it possible if I train by watching and assisting others, get organized, get the quick build kit, and do 6 hours a day 5 days a week to do this in one year?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Thanks. Is it possible if I train by watching and assisting others, get organized, get the quick build kit, and do 6 hours a day 5 days a week to do this in one year?

My $.02: Highly, highly unlikely. Even with QB, there is a lot more than one would think. If you were very experienced your estimate might be reasonable. I think you should be thinking in years plural. The learning you will need to do over the life of the build is time required that new builders often can't comprehend. I would guess I spent nearly as much time learning as I did actually building.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 02-03-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:43 AM

Folks were posting as I was writing, so I had to edit a bit.....

I would imagine quick build versus slow build also has a significant impact on a solo build effort, especially if you're looking at that one year-ish timeframe.

We are just at the empennage (two of us building), so I will have to defer to others beyond that stage. My observations so far are that one person can do quite a bit. Our issue has been keeping us both busy. Often times, one person is doing while the other is watching or reading the next step. We've even worked alone at different times.

Like @bkervaski said, if you had even a buddy, curious neighbor, local EAA or CAP chapter nearby to come work a bit and eat some grub, I think you'd be able to accomplish the build solo. A year, however, I really think is not feasible. The biggest threat a timeline poses is haste and errors. Don't let the pressure of a timeline ruin the learning and enjoyment of experimental air-craftsmanship.

Dues paid July 2020

Last edited by sloengineer : 02-03-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
There is a huge variation in buildersí abilities and speed. Going fast and not making mistakes (which slows you down) tends to require a good, experienced builder. If you are new to this Iíd guess your one year until finished is optimistic. I know my -10 took three times that number of hours. But Iím also slow. It isnít a race; you should enjoy the work. If not, donít do it.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:38 PM

I am a first time builder, have never worked with aluminum or fibreglass. Know Very little about avionics. A little over a year ago I decided to risk ordering the RV-14 empennage kit to see if one - I could do it and two - whether I would enjoy it. I am fairly mechanical otherwise and love researching. I watched most of the EAA videos and studied every RV-14 builders log and other models. Read this site & FB groups several times a day. I set no time expectations. Planed to do it in my spare time. Covid hit and I never looked back. Love the challenge. There is a close RV community close by that has been helpful in some decision making. I have done 99% alone. Have used an RV builder for help with some impossible rivets to get alone. There are a few joining the tailcone to the fuselage and closing the last lower skin panel. I am doing the quick build. Have 1100 hrs into it and have the engine and cowling left to do. I mounted the gear alone and have had the wings on and off several times alone. I work during the day and research in the evenings. To the OP I think if you are efficient you could build a QB in one year of hands on working time working 6 hrs per day 5 days per week. That is 1500 hrs. You would have to do your research and running errands on top of the 6 hrs a day. There are times when you do need two hands but certainly non trained airplane hands will do. I primed all interior surfaces. I made sure all kits and parts were ordered and delivered prior to requiring them. I ordered my panel from Aerotronics which is very inclusive and requires minimal wiring. They were great to work with for a first timer. The above doesn't include final paint.

Just my experience.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by Jetmart : 02-03-2021 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added more details