What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex 345 plastic d sub?

Duhg

Well Known Member
Building the harness and currently working on the ELT. All the d sub connectors have been metal cases with crimped pins into Garmin LRUs. The Artex is a plastic case with soldered pins and no case ground lug. I’d assume it’s reliable since it came with the ELT but sure seems cheesy. Just curious if others are using this connector or picking up another 15 pin similar to the Garmin units

Attachments

• 120BEFE2-505C-4688-82D1-5C4A5868BA43.jpeg
    120BEFE2-505C-4688-82D1-5C4A5868BA43.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 89
Broke

Mine broke. Luckily it is a common part from Digikey or Mouser. I had the plastic and prefer a metal one. Also would like to have removable contacts. JMHO

Building the harness and currently working on the ELT. All the d sub connectors have been metal cases with crimped pins into Garmin LRUs. The Artex is a plastic case with soldered pins and no case ground lug. I’d assume it’s reliable since it came with the ELT but sure seems cheesy. Just curious if others are using this connector or picking up another 15 pin similar to the Garmin units

Nothing wrong with solder cups. Very reliable when done correctly, though requires a bit more finesse with the iron. Plastic shells are fine in this applcation, unless you have things moving or bouncing around in the installation area, how will it break? It's only real job is to protect the terminal.

Larry

I replaced it with a 15 pin connector kit from Dynon. I like their connector better in ever way. It will also match the rest of my connectors in the plane in both looks and wire terminations ie crimped pins.

Back