What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna Mounting

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I think I would like to mount my Dynon GPS 2020 puck antenna on top and aft of the canopy. How did you guys do it without mounting the puck off center? The rib running down the center makes a simple doubler problematic. Two doublers, one on each side?

Attachments

• GPS Antenna.jpg
    GPS Antenna.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 134
Or, offset the Dynon GPS antenna/receiver to one side of centerline, mount whatever TSO GPS navigator antenna on the other side of centerline. Here mounting the TSO GPS antenna forward of the Dynon antenna/receiver would be best to reduce the coax run for that antenna. The Dynon antenna/receiver does not have a coax run - just serial, power and ground. Here a four #22 conductor shielded cable makes for a clean install.

Carl

I have my GPS antennas for both the Dynon and Avidyne pucks fairly far back in my RV7A fuselage where there is no blockage.

If you have a slider and might possibly do the Supertracks modification, be sure the antennas are far enough back that they won't interfere.

David

J-stiffener

J-stiffener is thin, light and really strong. Small piece either side would be plenty. You could put the nutplates in the stiffener before riveting to the skin so there would be no climbing inside to install or remove.
I plan to cover my glare shield with velco fabric and put the GPS puck and probably other stuff on it. Sweetie wi make a black sock for it.

Oh pick me!

I have my GPS antennas for both the Dynon and Avidyne pucks fairly far back in my RV7A fuselage where there is no blockage.

If you have a slider and might possibly do the Supertracks modification, be sure the antennas are far enough back that they won't interfere.

David

This is my problem, with the Super tracks mod on my slider, and the ELT antenna behind that, there is no place for the GPS on the rear turtle deck.

I was going to put them on the glare shield, but I got some seat foam from Vans and tried out the seats. Mounting on top the glare shield is going to be a problem.

So i figure I have two options now: a) put them on the glare shield in a recessed cavity like what is shown in the Garmin manual, or put on the firewall just under the cowl. i will probably do both, one antenna in each location. .

Slider canopy clears GPS2020 puck

I put my Dynon GPS-2020 puck to the left of the slider track. The canopy's rear edge and frame easily clear it when opened. Clear view of the sky through the plexi in the open position, except for the central tube running fore and aft. More than good enough to taxi around on georeferenced airport diagrams with my left jauntily at ease on the canopy deck rail. :cool:

Of course I didn't mount the GPS there until the canopy was on the airframe and I was sure it would clear. :eek:

J-stiffener is thin, light and really strong. Small piece either side would be plenty. You could put the nutplates in the stiffener before riveting to the skin so there would be no climbing inside to install or remove.
I plan to cover my glare shield with velco fabric and put the GPS puck and probably other stuff on it. Sweetie wi make a black sock for it.
J-stiffener it is then. Thanks, Larry.

Offset slightly for wire routing?

I'll be doing this part of my build in a few months, and I've made the decision to mount a dynon SV-GPS-2020 on the aft turtledeck. I'm building a T-U so I don't have to worry about canopy clearance, but I wondered if it's still necessary to offset slightly so the wires can come through the skin clear of the centre rib? I like the idea of J-stringer doublers & nutplates (Thx Larry).

Back