What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X not supported on Dynon Skyview HDX

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
So, I've got my HDX1100 on order and have been waiting for Dynon to release the installation guide for it - was finally posted yesterday. Going over it a bit today and hit a very unwelcome surprise.

From the manual:
Display of, and control of, VP-X is not supported in SkyView SE or SkyView HDX (as of Software v15.0). If you intend to install and use SkyView SE or SkyView HDX, do not purchase and install a VP-X or an SV-VPX-290 software license.

I've already got my VP-X Sport, and I have the software license on order. Now, it's not going to work???? I hope this is not the case because I can't cancel the HDX order and I have designed everything around the VP-X.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Not official but

when I spoke with Dynon at The Deland Sport Aviation Showcase earlier this month, it was mentioned that the VP-X support should be expected in a coming software update. I am certainly hoping so.

Why the VPX attraction?

I've mentioned a few times I'm one of those nerd engineers that never understood the value of the VPX line of products. I see it as an expensive solution looking for a problem. That said, a lot of people swear by them.

I did look at how to use the product and avoid single failure risks, but always ended up with approaches that required two VPX units. That price tag makes breakers look good. As I use the the Dynon AP module that provides automatic trim functions and the stock Show Plane flap controller that comes with the RV-10 kit, not much else left to do other than simple breakers and switches.

Carl
Nomex on for the anticipated flames.

I've mentioned a few times I'm one of those nerd engineers that never understood the value of the VPX line of products. I see it as an expensive solution looking for a problem. That said, a lot of people swear by them.

I did look at how to use the product and avoid single failure risks, but always ended up with approaches that required two VPX units. That price tag makes breakers look good. As I use the the Dynon AP module that provides automatic trim functions and the stock Show Plane flap controller that comes with the RV-10 kit, not much else left to do other than simple breakers and switches.

Carl
Nomex on for the anticipated flames.

I agree with you, Carl.

Just a side note: Why does Dynon charge for a VPX software license when the other EFIS makers don't? Just say'n..

Same reason other EFIS manufacturers charge for aviation and obstacle databases and Dynon doesn't ;)

Last edited:
Same reason other EFIS manufacturers charge for aviation and obstacle databases and Dynon doesn't ;)

Is that an answer or avoiding an answer? I have an MGL iEFIS system, I didn't pay for a VPX license or obstacle or aviation or maps or anything. Just who gets the money for this "license"? And yes, Dynon does also charge for maps.

I've already got my VP-X Sport, and I have the software license on order. Now, it's not going to work???? I hope this is not the case because I can't cancel the HDX order and I have designed everything around the VP-X.

Wow, I hadn't heard that! I am in the same boat as you. VP-X Pro installed, and about ready to order dual HDX's. I guess that goes on hold until I see it supported. This really just wrecked my day...

Sorry guys, joking around a bit, didn't mean to imply anything, which is why I didn't say "all other". Just pointing out that different manufacturers all have slightly different pricing models, and focusing on one element vs overall cost can be misleading. Why do some EFIS systems not come with harnesses and make you build your own from scratch? Why do some not make their own autopilot installation kits? Why do some not give discounts on a second AHRS module? Why do some not produce detailed documentation and release notes for every software release? Every company has some element they do differently.

Dynon charges for the VP-X because it's a feature used by only a small percentage of our customers, and we felt it more appropriate to charge the ones that use for the development it took than charging "everyone." Maybe that's different than other systems, but it has worked for us and allows us to financially justify supporting the VP-X now and in the future.

And as an FYI, Dynon no longer charges for the mapping software, and has never charged for aviation databases in the USA.

Last edited:
As of August 2016, NAVIGATION MAPPING software now included with the following DISPLAYS: SkyView Classic (D1000, D700) & SkyView Touch.

That license is for units purchased in the past. All new displays include mapping. We'll update the above to mention HDX as well, looks like that got missed on that page.

Don't ALL the EFIS makers support a small percentage of VPX users? And the others don't charge for a "License" to connect to another product. A small bit of code that's used over and over. Does Dynon charge a "License" fee to connect to every other product not made by Dynon? The incentive to build your product to work with other products is an incentive to buy your product, not a fine to connect it to another device. Hmmmmm

That license is for units purchased in the past. All new displays include mapping. We'll update the above to mention HDX as well, looks like that got missed on that page.

And what good is an EFIS without mapping? You charged for a required component to make an EFIS work. Like buying a car and being charged extra for an engine. I don't buy Dynon, used to, but don't anymore.

None of this stuff is free. Each company makes its own decisions as to how to pay for costs. I agree, this makes comparison shopping more difficult, but not impossible. I too am not a big Dynon fan, but not because of their pricing structure.

None of this stuff is free. Each company makes its own decisions as to how to pay for costs. I agree, this makes comparison shopping more difficult, but not impossible.

Indeed - anyone thinking they're getting ANYTHING for "FREE" is either misinformed or naiive. The cost of writing the software, tech pubs, support, etc.. is built into the pricing somewhere - either as a separate charge or built into the cost of the product. You are ALWAYS paying for it somewhere somehow...

Cheers,
Stein

No one is asking for free stuff. All these EFIS's are very expensive to begin with but having an upsell policy to make an already expensive product work doesn't seem to be fair for customers. The fact that most EFIS makers do not upsell "Licenses" and "Maps" to make their product work proves that this is and should be a built in cost of an EFIS. Vertical Power does not charge Dynon a "License" fee to connect to VPX products, it's Dynon charging it's own customers to connect to a supported product. Maps are not made by Dynon, they are converted from government sources. This is a very simple process and done once. Raster maps are scanned and Georeferenced, again a very simple process. Software is written once and installed over and over and over. Charging one customer or 1000 customers for a VPX "License" is a cash cow. It's written once. Raster maps are scanned once (until changed), terrain once, vectors once. Essential cabling should come with the system because it's essential, optional cabling could be sold extra or made by the customers. Again, who would buy a new car and then having to buy the tires to drive on the roads. Not me.

No one is asking for free stuff. All these EFIS's are very expensive to begin with but having an upsell policy to make an already expensive product work doesn't seem to be fair for customers. The fact that most EFIS makers do not upsell "Licenses" and "Maps" to make their product work proves that this is and should be a built in cost of an EFIS. Vertical Power does not charge Dynon a "License" fee to connect to VPX products, it's Dynon charging it's own customers to connect to a supported product. Maps are not made by Dynon, they are converted from government sources. This is a very simple process and done once. Raster maps are scanned and Georeferenced, again a very simple process. Software is written once and installed over and over and over. Charging one customer or 1000 customers for a VPX "License" is a cash cow. It's written once. Raster maps are scanned once (until changed), terrain once, vectors once. Essential cabling should come with the system because it's essential, optional cabling could be sold extra or made by the customers. Again, who would buy a new car and then having to buy the tires to drive on the roads. Not me.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out, you should sell EFIS's yourself.

In all seriousness - you've obviously got an axe to grind with Dynon, you're entitled to that opinion regardless of the cause, but you're rapidly approaching "vendor bashing" and will get this thread locked down. If that was the intent, then by all means proceed to proceed.

Last edited:
.... so much controversy. Private companies can do whatever they want. Buy from someone else if you don't like what they do.

All I want to know is if Dynon has an estimate about when they'll be supporting VP-X in their new efis products (or IF they'll be supporting it). This is important to me since I'm planning to buy a couple shiney new Dynon screens in the very near future.

Dynon? Are you there??? Beuler? .... Beuler?

VP-X EFIS??

I have been waiting for VP-X to roll out their own EFIS and I hope they won't charge for it. After all, what good is all that VP-X functionality if you need to piggy back ride on someone else's product and development to make it functional?
Dynon is a brilliantly smart company who set the benchmark for producing a host of integrated products including autopilot, ADS-B compliant and certified transponder, GPS and on and on. Dynon's pricing is very competitive and as a business person I fully understand the compromise between including certain charges to all customers and reserving some, like VP-X licensing to those few who use it.

Certainly nothing wrong with wanting to know when and if Dynon will support
VP-X integration.

I have been waiting for VP-X to roll out their own EFIS and I hope they won't charge for it. After all, what good is all that VP-X functionality if you need to piggy back ride on someone else's product and development to make it functional?
Dynon is a brilliantly smart company who set the benchmark for producing a host of integrated products including autopilot, ADS-B compliant and certified transponder, GPS and on and on. Dynon's pricing is very competitive and as a business person I fully understand the compromise between including certain charges to all customers and reserving some, like VP-X licensing to those few who use it.

Certainly nothing wrong with wanting to know when and if Dynon will support
VP-X integration.

Just to set the record straight, Dynon doesn't make their own transponder, it's a Trig TT22 unit with Dynon software to control it remotely.

VPX Pro

I already have my VPX Pro and plan on using it on my 9 build. I am also leaning toward the Dynon panel in my plane. I have decided on the VPX for my own reasons and am leaning toward Dynon again for my own reasons. I am hoping that Dynon will support the VPX in the future. If not I will go with another manufacturer. Dynon has the right to decide if they want to support the VPX or not to support it (I hope they do support it) They also have the right to price out their products the way they want to. Did you ever buy a car and pay an additional charge to "upgrade" it the way you want it? I.e. Bigger engine, nicer radio, different tires. Dynon is making a system that works but if you choose to use a VPX you need to pay for an option. VPX isn't saying not to use a Dynon nor is Dynon saying you can't use their product with the VPX. All they are saying is that if you chose to do it there is a cost for it, and they give you that cost upfront, nothing is hidden. The beauty of having an experimental airplane is the ability to have choices. If you like that choice do it if not make a different choice. And we are fortunate to have many choices.
Rant over
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and please eat to much.

Did not know that

Just to set the record straight, Dynon doesn't make their own transponder, it's a Trig TT22 unit with Dynon software to control it remotely.
I was not aware of that but it underscores the smart thinking of Dynon.
Taking a Trig TT22 and loading it with their own software to make it functional out of the box and selling it as package with the rest of their product is exactly
what makes Dynon avionics so attractive.
I ended up with a Garmin transponder in my 10, just a few weeks short of Dynon introducing "their" transponder. Too bad, I would be ADS-B compliant by now.

How about VP-X acquire a number of EFIS units and install their own software.
They can then sell it as a functional and compatible system and it would put the onus on them to deliver compatibility. I doubt they would do this for free...

OK, off to eat Turkey and and and and so much more.

Taking a Trig TT22 and loading it with their own software to make it functional out of the box and selling it as package with the rest of their product is exactly
what makes Dynon avionics so attractive.
e.

You mean, just like GRT does? Except GRT doesn't change the manufacturer's name, and the TT22 is one of many options available and supported.

Has anyone considered that dropping VP-X support is/was a competitive decision? Their AFS subsidiary makes a similar product (although it uses traditional fuses,) the Advanced Control Module. Maybe Dynon's going to release it as a standalone unit vs. being part of their quick panel solution? IDK. Anyway, I have a VP-X Pro, and I like it. My only criticism is I wished they had used USB instead of Ethernet as a support port.

Back to our regularly scheduled question.

Wow, this thread didn't go anywhere near the direction I was intending.

Back to my original concern. My HDX1100 (and VP-X license key) just shipped, I'll have it next week. Am I going to have to sell it, or the more likely sell the VP-X, buy a bunch of circuit breakers and redesign my electrical system and panel? I'm not yet all that close to planning my first flight (maybe summertime), but I do need to commit to an electrical design as that's what I'm doing this winter.

Dynon Support weighed in on the bunny trail in this thread, but not on the original question. Is VP-X support planned for the HDX line, and if so, is it something that will appear in the next 3-4 months?

By the way, I went with the VP-X because I find the technology fascinating and mostly because I hate the look of a dozen or two circuit breakers cluttering the panel. And, of course I wish I didn't have to buy a license, but if that's the cost to install the product, then buy it I shall.

Back to my question for Dynon please.

Wow, this thread didn't go anywhere near the direction I was intending.

Back to my original concern. My HDX1100 (and VP-X license key) just shipped, I'll have it next week. Am I going to have to sell it, or the more likely sell the VP-X, buy a bunch of circuit breakers and redesign my electrical system and panel? I'm not yet all that close to planning my first flight (maybe summertime), but I do need to commit to an electrical design as that's what I'm doing this winter.

Dynon Support weighed in on the bunny trail in this thread, but not on the original question. Is VP-X support planned for the HDX line, and if so, is it something that will appear in the next 3-4 months?

By the way, I went with the VP-X because I find the technology fascinating and mostly because I hate the look of a dozen or two circuit breakers cluttering the panel. And, of course I wish I didn't have to buy a license, but if that's the cost to install the product, then buy it I shall.

Back to my question for Dynon please.

Just to let you know, incase you didn't already, the VPX is a whole lot more than just electronic breakers. When I built a whole new touch screen panel I was given the opportunity to also install the VP-X pro or go with the old tried and true breakers. I hadn't really researched the Vertical Power products but I was given a quick overview and decided to go with it. I am so glad I did. Not only was the installation much less work than all the breakers and busses and cabling..... But that's just the beginning of the benefits. Marc really had a good plan and made a good reliable system. You can change each ECB amperage amount anytime, reroute circuits, reverse trims and flap motors, slow down trims at any set speed, lock out the starter, read ALL the amps being drawn from each circuit, turn on or off each circuit with a touch, get breaker faults on your screen, run and test configurations real time on your computer, built in wig wag, dual power busses (Pro), back up battery monitor, etc, etc.... I have an entire page on my iEFIS that shows the complete status of the ECB's. And, not to mention, how much more room my panel has and looks so much better without rows of breakers.

Has anyone considered that dropping VP-X support is/was a competitive decision? Their AFS subsidiary makes a similar product (although it uses traditional fuses,) the Advanced Control Module. Maybe Dynon's going to release it as a standalone unit vs. being part of their quick panel solution? IDK. Anyway, I have a VP-X Pro, and I like it. My only criticism is I wished they had used USB instead of Ethernet as a support port.

MGL is also making ECB systems. They are on a smaller scale than the VP-X systems. Not sure if they can be stacked but another ECB option.

Really amazing how every VP question turns into a debate over whether a solid state electrical system is worth it.

Look, if you don't like it, don't put it in your plane. But, golly, it gets tiring watching the non-stop judgments of people's decisions with their EXPERIMENTAL airplanes.

If it's not to early for New Year's Resolutions, here's one we should embrace: Let people build the planes they want to build.

Last edited:
I've noticed a transformation of is website over the last few years. It used to be a builders' support forum, with a lot of how to do's and what to do's, with photos and diagrams.

At some point, I think that the basic aircraft became so easy to build that the emphasis changed to the personalization and customization of our aircraft, best illustrated by the use of new technologies in the cockpit, especially panels and electrical systems. Even fancy paint jobs have threads!

We've moved well beyond the basics and are now looking at plug and play avionics and panels. Even the basic electrical system has be reimagined by VPX, MGL and others. At this point we have become system integrators rather than designers.

As a result, we start to share opinions rather than information. This leads to endless debates. I recognized the engineering elegance of the VPX system and see why it is so desireable. I chose to build a load center out of relays and breakers because I like to do that stuff. Others may not, and since the wiring is near the end of the project, it saves a lot of time to use the VPX.

So, for those who want Dynon to continue support for the VPX, how much are you willing to pay? I thought $200 was a bargain price for a license from Dynon, given the value provided. If I were Dynon, however, I would be selling my own load center.... then they could actually make a return on investment.

Watch this space!

Walt, not sure why it's important where the transponder comes from. While the Dynon transponder is based on the TT22, it carries a Dynon part number because we sell and support it directly, and it has custom software which allows it the following features that a standard TT22 couldn't have:

1) Firmware updates right from the EFIS screen
2) Control from an EFIS with no hardware converters needed
3) Redundant control if you have more than one EFIS screen
4) Auto AIR/GND switching without a squat switch that maintains compliance with the TSO
5) Ability to be SIL=1 affordably with the Dynon SV-GPS-250, giving all customers full traffic coverage
6) Ability to be SIL=3 the industry's lowest cost 2020 compliant GPS position source
7) Ability to know if an external GPS is connected and operating correctly, allowing the system to self-audit 91.227 compliance
8) Dynon's standard 3 year warranty (instead of two with Trig)

So while we did start with the smallest, lightest, most affordable Mode-S transponder transponder on the market, we also did a lot to make it better, and then sold it for less than you could buy a TT22 for.

Last edited:
Claude,
Right now we expect to put the VP-X on the HDX, but we don't have a timeframe we'd promise. We have a lot of things we want to keep adding to our systems so we're prioritizing VP-X along with everything else. Knowing customer demand sure helps.

I think we'd also say that if VP-X support is critical to you, you shouldn't go with the HDX right now. Because we cannot promise a timeframe, we don't want anyone to purchase HDX and then be stuck without control of their electrical system. That's the most honest answer we can give you. We don't want to set any false expectations.

I appreciate the straight answer. The unfortunate thing is that this lack of support was not known to customers until weeks after the HDX started shipping. I for one would not have ordered the HDX if there was any hint of VP-X support not being included. I now find myself with an unworkable configuration. I'm going to have to sell either the HDX or the VPX for a loss. It's a tough decision that I wish I didn't have to make. Maybe Dynon can buy back the HDX, it was a special order so ACS won't allow a return.

Really amazing how every VP question turns into a debate over whether a solid state electrical system is worth it.

Look, if you don't like it, don't put it in your plane. But, golly, it gets tiring watching the non-stop judgments of people's decisions with their EXPERIMENTAL airplanes.

I don't see anyone trying to talk Flying Canuck out of using a VP-X.
I thought we were having a lively discussion on how to find a solution for Claude's problem.

Now that we know Dynon's position, clearly explained in the above posts, perhaps Claude is open to a new approach on the electrical system.
Am I going to have to sell it, or the more likely sell the VP-X, buy a bunch of circuit breakers and redesign my electrical system and panel?

You don't need a bunch of circuit breakers to clutter up your panel.
Many of us are using a combination of circuit breakers or switched circuit breakers that serve blade fuse sub panels. My 10 has a panel full of avionics and only 7 visible circuit breakers/switches. 3 of those are serving one Avionics sub panel, and one each for 2 instrument sub panels. These in turn allow for a total of 24 circuits to hook up those groups of instruments. I am not counting the light SCBs since you would need some form of switch whether you use a VP-x or other system.
https://goo.gl/photos/5j7DgU1uwcSxBk6A7

I can see the attraction to a VP-X and by all means build your airplane your way. Knowing what you know now, you'll have to pass on the VP-X, trade your HDX for a compatible unit from another EFIS provider or modify your plans for the electrical system.
My recommendation for your New Years resolution: Plan on building with the "bricks" that are available to you at this time.

Critical path thinking ...

I appreciate the straight answer. The unfortunate thing is that this lack of support was not known to customers until weeks after the HDX started shipping. I for one would not have ordered the HDX if there was any hint of VP-X support not being included. I now find myself with an unworkable configuration. I'm going to have to sell either the HDX or the VPX for a loss. It's a tough decision that I wish I didn't have to make. Maybe Dynon can buy back the HDX, it was a special order so ACS won't allow a return.

The critical path thinking here would be to understand that the VP-X integration feature on the HDX EFIS is further down the road and doesn't materialize as an impact when the VP-X integration occurs. During the initial design, and implementation of the VP-X electrical system the control of the ECB system is done via two software tools; 1) The VP Configurator on the VP website, and 2) with the PC-based Configuration app. The first is a planning tool to define the individual circuits, pins, and loads, while the latter is a fine tuning tool for adjusting and configuring specific settings. The PC-based tools can be used to turn ON/OFF the circuits and do all the operational testing.

The VP-X integration phase becomes important to display the circuits in the cockpit setting, and see the actual switch operations and current loads. The switches are simply grounding a 'pin assignment' which causes the circuit operation to occur (and the PC-based app will also confirm some of this data.) In fact, loss of the EFIS/VP-X integration feature in-flight does not necessarily affect the circuit switches operations, it just means you lose the display information. Even if you turn OFF the EFIS most of the VP-X functionality remains (depending on a few builder configuration choices).

The point is this --- build on and monitor Dynon's progress and you'll probably be happy to find they achieve integration before it becomes critical path negative to the average build schedule. The 2nd thought; (Dynon confirmation needed here) -- someone may want your HDX as a secondary display to a 'Classic' SV D1000, and already has the VP-X integration covered on their primary display. I think the HDX has compatibility when paired with a Classic SkyView although the VP-X feature will only be visible on the D1000 PFD.

Dynon has certainly outperformed and over delivered on features during my build window ...

Claude,
We will of course work with you if the lack of VP-X support on the HDX causes you issues. That's just the Dynon way. Give us a call on Monday if you want to discuss further.

The 3 quick responses to my last post are a bit amusing. I'm looking at a decision, and then I get three new options to consider. My brain hurts.

Seriously though. I quite appreciate each response. Ernst's hybrid approach is intriguing. I would miss a few VP-X features, such as the flap controller items, but I could see this working. Gary's idea to build on considering that I don't need the EFIS integration until I'm flying is good. A little risky I guess, but it might not be an issue. The HDX doesn't integrate with the touch or classic displays though. And thanks Dynon for being willing to work with me. Swapping the HDX for 1000T might give me the best outcome.

I guess I have some thinking to do. I really want all of the toys at the same time, but I'm way too old and nowhere near rich enough for the spoiled rich kid act.

Thanks for all the comments, it helps.

Equally tiring to hear "experimental" used to justify purchasing more stuff delivered in a UPS box.

There are no experiments going on here.

only if you ignore the fact Dynon raised the price of the skyview display by $500 after eliminating the mapping license.

Where did you get this data point? Their prices didn't change on anything. Their new HDX screen was introduced at a slightly higher price point, but their existing products stayed at the same price as they were before, except the mapping became free.

Where did you get this data point? Their prices didn't change on anything. Their new HDX screen was introduced at a slightly higher price point, but their existing products stayed at the same price as they were before, except the mapping became free.

their website

Claude, perhaps another option is available... Can the VPX be controlled with discrete switches as well? ie. could you build a switch panel that had cheap low-voltage switches, that triggered the ECB's in the VPX?

If so, and this would depend on your cockpit configuration of course, maybe you could build a simple switch panel that mounts to the bottom of your instrument panel, with a row of simple switches. That panel would connect with a harness back to your VPX. Then when Dynon adds support for the VPX to the HDX, you could remove the switch panel and reconnect the VPX to the HDX. The rest of your electrical system could then stay untouched downstream of the VPX.

VP-X not YET supported on Dynon Skyview HDX

I have the Dynon Skyview Touch 10" display and the VP-X in my 7A. The combination has worked well and I routinely review the status of all of the circuits on the Dynon display during run-up and in flight. Because this functionality is currently unavailable in the new HDX system I would not upgrade my screens.

AF1QipN7oeTsEMgCX5z_XWna1dF4CaoZLDmOKsSnq2a5AupnK2uhB1qZHZPlmBGFZXRxXQ

Claude, perhaps another option is available... Can the VPX be controlled with discrete switches as well? ie. could you build a switch panel that had cheap low-voltage switches, that triggered the ECB's in the VPX?

Rob, this is exactly how the VPX works in every case. You are supposed to wire up panel switches for things you turn on and off. The display on an EFIS is mainly of currents and faults for each channel, and an emergency backup to a broken switch.

only if you ignore the fact Dynon raised the price of the skyview display by $500 after eliminating the mapping license.

their website

Daviid,
Can you point out where on the website this is so we can fix it? When the 10" SkyView came out in 2009, it was $3,510 for the screen and $500 for a mapping license (one per airplane). This is still listed as $3,510 on our website everywhere I can find it (SkyView Classic).

I think I've come up with another option. I have a background in software development and a while back I built my own backup EFIS complete with GADAHRS using an Arduino for sensors and a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 7" touch screen as the front end. I wrote the user interface in Python and it all tested out great on the bench. However, I elected to not implement it and went with an AVMAP Ultra as my backup EFIS. So, here's the idea. The VP-X developer interface is documented and the SkyView serial output formats are documented. I could develop something on the Pi/Arduino that would give me full control of the VP-X, passing the required data from the SkyView (IAS, GS and RPM) back up to the VP-X. Just a matter of finding space in my panel for the screen. Just spitballing at this point but if I can get this to work, then I can keep all of my toys. Would give me something to do on the cold days this winter when I don't want to work in the garage.

Dynons comments are reveling.
""Right now we expect to put the VP-X on the HDX, but we don't have a timeframe we'd promise. We have a lot of things we want to keep adding to our systems so we're prioritizing VP-X along with everything else. Knowing customer demand sure helps.""

I was told at OSH this year all their Skyview screens were interchangeable - I could run a Classic in the same panel as the HDX. Now I can't. They obviously have two versions of V15 software, one for the classic providing VPX compatibility and one for HDX without. The VPX is indispensable for me and others which makes the G3X a good upgrade option. Customer demand is the only incentive for Dynon to provide compatibility. It's actually cost them resources to remove the VPX capability.

Dynons comments are reveling.
""Right now we expect to put the VP-X on the HDX, but we don't have a timeframe we'd promise. We have a lot of things we want to keep adding to our systems so we're prioritizing VP-X along with everything else. Knowing customer demand sure helps.""

I was told at OSH this year all their Skyview screens were interchangeable - I could run a Classic in the same panel as the HDX. Now I can't. They obviously have two versions of V15 software, one for the classic providing VPX compatibility and one for HDX without. The VPX is indispensable for me and others which makes the G3X a good upgrade option. Customer demand is the only incentive for Dynon to provide compatibility. It's actually cost them resources to remove the VPX capability.

Right now the screens do work together between the HDX and the Skyview classic, but they don't recommend it and neither do I. I flew beta for several weeks with this setup and with completely different menu structure and thought process, it complicates things more than it helps. If you are upgrading, do both. If you are happy with your current panel, do neither. I haven't tested VP-X on version 15 of the Skyview a Classic, but I assume it works.

And yes, there are two different version 15's, one for HDX and one for SkyView Classic.

As a comparison, when G3X developed a Touch version, not only were the screens not cross-compatible, but neither were the cutouts. I can't speak to the wiring, but the HDX is a complete drop-in replacement with only the need to add 2 screw holes to the panel, which takes <5 minutes.

Back