What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7" vs 10" EFIS Primary Flight Display

sglynn

Well Known Member
I'm making the EFIS decision soon. Without discussing which company, please, could I hear your pros and cons of a 7 inch display versus a 10 inch display, particularity for RV-7A?

The 7 inch looks to fit and I think it is large enough to see. But it is hard to imagine. So for those flying, your comments would be appreciated. I think 10 inch will fit. I've tried them at Sun n Fun and will again this July at Oshkosh.

I do fly IFR and maybe that makes a difference for size.

So, 7 inch versus 10 inch EFIS?

thanks

10 inch display, no question about it. Your eyes, like everyone else's, aren't getting any younger. What looks fine today will be a real squinter in a few (or more, depending on your current age) years.

Now if you're doing side-by-side or over-under 7" displays, and the question becomes 2x7" or 1x10", that's a different debate. But the 1x7" vs 1x10" is easy, so long as you have the panel space to make it work.

I've got two 7" displays. If I had it to do over, they would be 10". I have been tempted to replace one of the 7's with a 10.

Two 10s going in mine but the right screen will likely be non-touch (will use the $500 saved for the AP knob panel).

DPGk51nh.jpg

HtSLOqWh.jpg

I have flown both sizes as single screen, and I have a newly installed AFS 5600 (10 ") screen in my personal RV-6A.

My opinion is that it mainly depends on what you are going to be displaying on the one screen (assuming one since you said a 7" vs 10").

If it would be Skyview with EMS (engine) data, Map, and PFD, a 7 inch is too small. Even split 50/50 for PFD and Map it is marginal.
If you are going to have a map displayed somewhere else, then a 7" would probably be fine.

10 EFIS inch okay

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm convinced. Eyes are an issue. I'm headed home from work to update my panel layout to include the 10 inch. Yes, planning on only one EFIS screen, because I'll also have a Garmin GPS for IFR reasons.

thanks much

10 inch

The 10 inch screens when removed, give one a lot more access to things behind the panel. Two screens, one for each arm.

Smaller

On my new 7, I was trying to decide to go bigger or not. I had a chance to fly behind smaller screens and got to fly off much of the 40 on my neighbors 7 with one 10" screen and a 696 on the right side.

After evaluating, I chose the 8" size AFS. My reasoning was pretty simple. I liked the symmetry it provided on my molded panel. Keep in mind you are only about 17" from the screen in front of you. While flying my neighbors 7 with 10" screen I almost felt like was sitting in the 5th row of the theater. The smaller screens were plenty big enough to provide all the information I need.

This decision was further reinforced when we got a new helicopter at work and it has the Garmin 500H system. They are more of vertical lay out screen but are about 7." They are plenty big enough for our day/night flights. I wouldn't want bigger.

My suggestion is that you try to get the opportunity to fly behind both sizes before making a decision. I know of one person that is disappointed at putting in the larger screens. He describes them as "overload," and too close!! Another friend said, "just cause they make bigger screens, doesn't automatically mean you have to use bigger screens."

Just my thoughts, worth exactly what you paid for it:D

I'm making the EFIS decision soon. Without discussing which company, please, could I hear your pros and cons of a 7 inch display versus a 10 inch display, particularity for RV-7A?

The 7 inch looks to fit and I think it is large enough to see. But it is hard to imagine. So for those flying, your comments would be appreciated. I think 10 inch will fit. I've tried them at Sun n Fun and will again this July at Oshkosh.

I do fly IFR and maybe that makes a difference for size.

So, 7 inch versus 10 inch EFIS?

thanks

Bigger is always better, personally I would get a 12" EFIS. We get a number of calls from people that bought a 6.5" or 8" small screen EFIS and then complain that they cant read the small text. It is a lot easier to just install a big screen that is easily readable to begin with.

27143489580_05a9a94511_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
i installed 2 -10" Dynon Skyviews. I put one in front of each pilot. If I were to do it again would be to put them side by side. IMHO I found them to far from each other to read well. But again I am old. :)

After evaluating, I chose the 8" size AFS. My reasoning was pretty simple. I liked the symmetry it provided on my molded panel. Keep in mind you are only about 17" from the screen in front of you. While flying my neighbors 7 with 10" screen I almost felt like was sitting in the 5th row of the theater. The smaller screens were plenty big enough to provide all the information I need.

Very good analogy, my thoughts exactly. No other a/c have I flown is the instrument panel as close as it is with RVs. My seat back cushion is as thin as I can stand it in order to move further away from the panel and I am not a big guy.

I guess I have the compromise EFIS.
Mine is the GRT Sport SX. 8.4" display.
I'm very happy with it, especially after replacing the Dynon 10A.
The 10A was state of the art at the time & has now become a worthy backup.

The bigger the screen the less room for other instruments/addition. The real estate on the panel is precious so use the space wisely, specially if the mission is IFR.

I had the 8.4 Sport before upgrading to a 10.4 HXr and the bigger screen for me is so much nicer. Less cluttered looking, easier to read and the 60/40 split screen gives a very nice size map page.

In my 8 it doesn't seem over powering.

Personal choice so you should get some seat time behind both sizes. You won't be disappointed by either size.

I have one 10 and one 7 inch G3X Touch. If it were not for having to move the radio stack when I upgraded to the Touch, I would have two 10 inch screens.

In this case bigger is better but nothing wrong with the 7 inch as a MFD/second screen.

I personally would not want a 7 inch as a stand alone PFD.

Close to the same decision.....

I think the screen size is a tough decision. Always we think bigger is better. I have my panel layed out with the 10 inch screen at the moment and then i flew the seven inch screen.

My mission profile will be VFR only for my ownership and I have a AV8OR backup as well as critical Vans Gauges for oil. temp. Amps.

I flew behind a panel last year with seven inch screens and as long as they werent in split mode it seemed fine... and of course the COST is considerably less.

These days the Foreflight and Ipad team are replacing the mapping, nav function at considerably less cost.(One of the reasons i am contemplating a 7 inch Dynon SE!)

At the end I have decided to allow real estate in the panel to accept a 10 inch but will be going with the Seven inch touch screen Skyview.

Oh by the way...... I Always carry paper maps..... My bad.

Can i have my two cents for this please. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Reading glasses/brain goggles...

It would be useful if those who are posting answers would mention if they use reading glasses or not! I suspect many of us do but it's hard to compare someone elses opinion with yours if you have no real idea if their vision is comparable.
Thanks!

I have the older Dynon D series (probably 7") a 396 and an iPad with foreflight. I have no problem reading these devices and haven't yet had problems in flight seeing them. I am in my 50's and use progressive lenses. Like RV Builder said, it really depends more on the font size of what you are reading. The D series is set up for small form factor and easily readable in 7" The skyview can be packed with **** and it looks like the text gets small.

Bigger is always better, but 10 years ago, people LOVED the 396 and it is pretty small. Once you learn the layout of your system and know where everything is, simply reading the numbers isn't that hard.

Lot's depends on your objectives. If cost is no issue and you have the panel space, I can't see why anyone wouldn't do it.

larry

I have 2 AFS5800T 12" touch screens in my 10 and absolutely love them. I always have my PFD, engine monitor and map in front of me without too much clutter. Everything you need is always there on one screen, no flipping between screens.
The resolution of the 8", 10" and 12" are the same, so everything will be bigger and easier to read on the 12" screen.
It's very well thought out, and it's now a touch screen too, with lots of screen real estate for the touch areas. I'm not sure if you can fit one in a 7 panel, but if you can I highly recommend it.
You are welcome to check mine out at OSH if it's not too late to decide by then.

Lenny

I'm with Larry, in the minority. I have a standard sized GRT HX for PFD or PFD/map; a second GRT HS for engine instruments. I wear progressive lenses and am 20/200 (near vision) without them. I am short so fairly close to the panel. I can read everything without difficulty, so I'll be saving my money for gas (and ADSB-out).

The reality is the market already decided (that meaning the preponderance of people buying EFISes), and by a very large margin choose 10" over 7" or other random sizes (bigger or smaller). Firstly, they fit nicely into most planes and Secondly the costs are similar. That said, there are instances where the smaller one's work better in some aircraft or for a back seat.

In the end, by far and away the 10" size area seems to be the 'GoldiLocks' of EFISes. Some will choose hotter or colder porridge, but as a whole that is the inarguable definitive sweet spot.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

The reality is the market already decided (that meaning the preponderance of people buying EFISes), and by a very large margin choose 10" over 7" or other random sizes (bigger or smaller). Firstly, they fit nicely into most planes and Secondly the costs are similar. That said, there are instances where the smaller one's work better in some aircraft or for a back seat.

In the end, by far and away the 10" size area seems to be the 'GoldiLocks' of EFISes. Some will choose hotter or colder porridge, but as a whole that is the inarguable definitive sweet spot.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I think you've got it right Stein - my view is "what fits best in the particular panel, and bigger is better". We have two big Skyviews and one small one in our new Tundra, and when I put the same pages up on the big and little screen, side-by-side, I can tell you I sure wouldn't want to give up the big one. However, for a small panel, I'd rather have a couple of small ones than one big one that allows nothing else in the panel. We've got quite a variety of systems in our planes right now, but generally I want the biggest screen that fits well with redundancy.

The RV-3 fits two old-style G3X displays side by side, the RV-8 lives nicely with the original GRT HX's - but the RV-6 really works nice with one large G3 Touch in front of the pilot and a small G3 Toush in front of the right side. Teh Tudnra's panel is very roomy, so both seats get a big Skyview and share the small Skyview in the middle.

The Goldilocks point depends on the airplane!

Hey, we coudl do this as a forum topic! :p

Paul

Back