What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your photo's on final.............

turbo

Well Known Member
IMG_1103.jpg

greenville maine time to go home..........

just got to have a camera in the plane for such great moments..........

if you are not getting pics yet, try photobucket, couldn't be any better, ask vlad.

Last edited:
What airport is this? I have to put it on my list of must land destinations!

Turbo missing ya here in the north. Come back! :D

From Rosie: Hint...this is America and you are landing on a westerly heading...

Last edited by a moderator:
What airport is this? I have to put it on my list of must land destinations!

From Rosie: Hint...this is America and you are landing on a westerly heading...

JR,
It's not far from here.

Head toward Rosie then turn south and fly for 100 miles or so :D

Yep, it is Catalina Island Airport, a great destination. You will meet some interesting pilots with matching planes. I was there and a Beech 18 was used for cargo for the restaurant. Remnants of lettuce in the well beaten, but shiny, cargo bay. A working old bird. I don't know what landing on a carrier is like, but the way that threshold jumps up and touches your gear - - - it must be like this. Equally fun with the steep drop on TO.

Ooooh, enuf of that scary foggy stuff ;)

…Back to the mystery island question…(edit, it was no longer a mystery by the time I posted…so new mystery island below in pic 3)...

Think island....

More pictoral hints:

It's about 300nm SE (the E part may surprise you) of here (hint, we no too lo :p)
IMG_1319.jpg

And about 100nm WSW of here (hint, I met Paul and Louise for the first time after this landing)
IMG_1320_2.jpg

And about 2300nm WNW of here (hint, its an island too...Rosie, Turbo or Vlad may know it)
IMG_1318.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Rats, you've all bested me.
Vlad, my first best and last guess would have to be isomewhere in Alaska knowing you. Sitka??
Pretty hard to find islands when you're based in Kansas, unless they are named after monkeys...
00A55EEC-C623-4B07-AB46-F3CDA0ED8F85_zpsj8eg8rtq.jpg

800D6B9A-87C2-496E-AFB2-943FC6305C26_zpsuzsfbyy8.jpg

A couple weeks ago going into Cabin Creek to do some electrical work at the property

and back in September at the Polson Fly-in

Last edited:
I see SFO, LAS and L35 (I think, Only been there once).

Not quite an on final shot but here is a good where is it.
Hint, it is south of Christmas.

S3010002_zps06065731.jpg

And another. This was taken around 22:30 local. Think north.

IMG_2371_zps01e76244.jpg

A couple weeks ago going into Cabin Creek to do some electrical work at the property

and back in September at the Polson Fly-in

I really need to drop into Flathead this next year. I have flown over it way too many times going to UGLY Shelby. Love the pic!

Pago Pago

I recognize the first photo with the wing & engine in it. Bet that was taken in Pago Pago (pronounced Pongo Pongo), capital of American Samoa. I lived there for 18 months back in 1990-1991. We flew Twin Otters & a King Air all over and in/out of some short strips (Western Samoa, Tonga, Niue, Fiji, Wallace & Fatuna, Funafuti.....). Loads of fun!

I see SFO, LAS and L35 (I think, Only been there once).

Not quite an on final shot but here is a good where is it.
Hint, it is south of Christmas.

S3010002_zps06065731.jpg

And another. This was taken around 22:30 local. Think north.

IMG_2371_zps01e76244.jpg

Another island

Somewhat between the island in the previous post and Triple Tree. Of course not on final (I would not miss that much).

IMG_7468.JPG

two plus one

Here are two from my "military sites" collection ...
FILE1256-tuned-575x400.jpg

FILE0013-tuned-575x378.jpg

And this one is titled " Yes Virginia, that is a displaced threshold." ...
FILE0081-tuned-575x437.jpg

Don't know about "everyone" recognising this one, a lot of us are overseas readers.... I'm in Oz and my guess is that is the space-port (Cape Canaveral)?

Sorry for the assumption, indeed, it is the Space Shuttle Landing Facility.

Back