What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you hand out inspiration?

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
Whenever I have a visitor to see my project, I always explain how clecos work and that they are extremely important in building airplanes. Then I make sure they leave with a cleco in hand, as their reminder of the visit, and so they can explain its purpose to others. They are great, inexpensive momentos that they can carry around in their pocket. I've even drilled holes in some so they can be put on a keychain.

How do you "Hand out inspiration?"

ProSeal flavor...

Save the ones with ProSeal caked on for special visitors!

Great idea and and great use of $0.50! Folks are always curious about what the "hedgehog things" are and how they work.

...or the ones welded shut with epoxy resin. I've got a few of those in the "bad" cleco bin.

Inspiration

Probably not inspirational, but I put cleco pliers in their hands and get them to work. If they come back, they are inspired. If not, just tired.
All puns aside, I really do try to bring the interested in the shop and stop working for as long as they want to chat.
I enjoy the sharing and hope they come back to help. So far I have two regulars. Both are retired pilots though so maybe I'm not too successful with my inspiration.

Hey Don, I have visited Mike at his house and seen his build! I did get to meet his wife and his little girl when she was still a baby!

Mike is one of those guys you don't run into that often. If you get a chance to visit his aircraft factory, take it!
Well, mostly because you have not yet visited! You will get two as a reward.

Hey Don, I have visited Mike at his house and seen his build! I did get to meet his wife and his little girl when she was still a baby!

Mike is one of those guys you don't run into that often. If you get a chance to visit his aircraft factory, take it!

Thanks for the kind words Rocky. I guess I didn't give you a cleco when you visited, but then again, you were already building and had your OWN clecos. :D

Another "giveaway" item: I also, usually give visitors a magazine to take with them. Usually it's an old Sport Aviation, Flying, or something wlse. my wife has a way of finding me cheapo subscritions, so I always have ones that I've read, lying around. It too is a great thing to give visitors and inspire them.

P.S. Don't feel bad, Rock. I didn't give David Paule (Colorado RV-3 Builder) a cleco either...:)

Time To Check This Out

Well, I'm gonna have to put this one to the test. ;) I've been meaning to stop over and visit Mike and his project. I want one drilled for a key-chain. :cool:

Scott

Whenever I have a visitor to see my project, I always explain how clecos work and that they are extremely important in building airplanes. Then I make sure they leave with a cleco in hand, as their reminder of the visit, and so they can explain its purpose to others. They are great, inexpensive momentos that they can carry around in their pocket. I've even drilled holes in some so they can be put on a keychain.

How do you "Hand out inspiration?"

Not tonight, Scott..

.. I'm taking a friend flying who hasn't been up in about a decade. He's got his PPL and was on track for a commercial career, until life got in the way. I'm trying to convince him to go "experimental." However, maybe this weekend after the EAA Chapter 301 Young Eagles Rally you could come over.

Back