What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice

cpfeifer

Hi guys, just to give a little info about myself I'm married with 2 young kids and my wife stays home with them so I live on a single income. I CAN'T STOP thinking about build an RV. I live in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota and don't know anyone who has built an airplane nor do I have any experience at it either. So I guess my question is can I realistically do this all by myself?

Hi guys, just to give a little info about myself I'm married with 2 young kids and my wife stays home with them so I live on a single income. I CAN'T STOP thinking about build an RV. I live in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota and don't know anyone who has built an airplane nor do I have any experience at it either. So I guess my question is can I realistically do this all by myself?

Do it Chris. Don't listen to naysayers :) I, like you, started in the middle of nowhere in NYC on average hourly wage and after 5 years I have a machine I can trust and go anywhere I want. Stretch it to 7 years and you will be all right. Get your kids and better half involved. Shoot me your coordinates I will stop by next June and help with your understanding of RV9 Preview Plans. Just do it.

Welcome to VAF!

Chris, welcome to the good ship VAF.

Yes, you can do it.

But it is not going to be easy without a support group of builders, which is why you have VAF:D

Not being familiar with your location, how far away is Hot Springs from you-----there are going to be a lot of RV's there soon, for the annual Vetterman fly in. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=794715

Might be a good place for you to pay a visit to.

Some of the attendees at last years event.

Badlands%2520fly%2520in%25202012%2520073.JPG

Last edited:
I wouldn't

Unless you make "a lot" more money than my wife and I combined do. The cost of building is a lot but the cost of owning and flying is a lot also. I do not have any kids. I do have granddaughters from a step daughter, but that does not come with the expenses of having kids. Building also will take most of your time over the next 5 years. If you can build at home that would be a plus, I could not. Don't mean to bust your bubble. Now after your kids are older maybe.

Iv been at it for a year and a half in my 2 car garage working on my RV8 all by myself. I read a lot and get a TON of great info/help from Vansairforce.net. I absolutely love it! Sounds like you have the desire so no reason not to. You will need a friend/wife to hold a bucking bar or drive a rivet every now and then. Good luck now get on it!

Mike

Chris, welcome to the good ship VAF.

Yes, you can do it.

But it is not going to be easy without a support group of builders, which is why you have VAF:D

Not being familiar with your location, how far away is Hot Springs from you-----there are going to be a lot of RV's there soon, for the annual Vetterman fly in. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=794715

Might be a good place for you to pay a visit to.

Some of the attendees at last years event.

Badlands%2520fly%2520in%25202012%2520073.JPG

It's only about an hour and a half in my 172 but I'm out of town working till late next week. Darn! Thanks for the advice!

It's only about an hour and a half in my 172

O.K., so you already own an airplane??

The RV will get there in under an hour as compared to the Cessna.

And, your wife is already familiar with being an airplane owner, so build on the positives of the RV------lower operation cost, do your own maintenance and annual inspections. Better speed, and fuel economy ETC.

Tea, SD is home to one of the best RV builders in the world. There are many RV's there. Check it out.

O.K., so you already own an airplane??

The RV will get there in under an hour as compared to the Cessna.

And, your wife is already familiar with being an airplane owner, so build on the positives of the RV------lower operation cost, do your own maintenance and annual inspections. Better speed, and fuel economy ETC.

I currently own 1957 172 its nothing fancy but is fun to fly. I don't think my wife will be too hard to convince its myself that I'm having a hard time convincing to do it!

I build by myself, you can do that. You will need some heated space, not much at first. If you use the VAF resources you can buy a lot of components 20-30% off, that saves on sales taxes too (if that matters to SD). I have an extra 6/7 cowling for instance. Just post what you need and it is amazing what people have sitting around.

It WILL take a lot of time, and it can be a strain on the family if not involved.

I think if you manage your expectations for engine, prop, avionics. You can to it. Stick with the plans and basics and the build will go quicker, much quicker.

You might keep an eye out for an older plane flying, there can be some real bargains too. Builders/pilots are getting older and selling their treasures.

Good Luck, you already found the worlds best resource team, VAF!

This is something that I have reflected on a lot.

I built my -7A before I had kids. It was truly one of the most incredible, off-the-wall things I have done in my entire life. I had barely even changed the oil in my vehicles before I started building -- that was the extent of my hands-on skills.

Building was extremely rewarding. It took me 3 years, 6 months and 7 days until the first flight. I worked on the project every single evening. I can count on one hand the number of days that I did not work on the project -- and those days were because I was out of town. If I'm being completely honest I have to say that I neglected my wife. Yes, she was behind me and she supported me every step of the way, but there's no doubt that undertaking such a project impacts your personal life.

Now I have two kids (ages 3 and 5). I ended up selling my RV last September for a number of reasons but largely because of the kids. I felt as though I was neglecting them every time I headed out to the airport to work on the plane. One year I even loaded up the airplane and launched (solo) to Sun-n-fun and turned around at the Georgia/Florida border. I decided I'd rather spend my time off work with my little family than with a bunch of people in the dirt.

Plus -- and I'm being completely honest here -- priorities get aligned when you attend your friend's funeral. Yes, he died doing what he loved in his RV, but I have no doubt that he loved his beautiful little girls more. The point is that there's risk. Real risk. We can try to control it, but building and flying these airplanes -- any airplane -- adds real and measurable risk to your life. If you're comfortable with that risk that's completely OK. But let's not pretend and don't let anyone tell you that there's no additional risk.

Now, I'm not going to judge other people that have kids and continue to have their RV. Doug and many other well-known RVers have kids and are by all accounts outstanding fathers. I just know that for me -- personally -- knowing the cost in terms of time in the shop I cannot fathom building an airplane right now. Time is simply too fleeting and too precious.

My current plan (subject to change, of course) is to wait it out until my kids become teenagers. Then they'll take the usual teenage course of thinking that doing family stuff is completely lame and uncool and maybe then I'll have some free time.:rolleyes:

Chris

Welcome to VAF!
I see from your profile you are interested in the RV 12. The 12 uses blind or pulled rivets so good for doing by yourself. Eaa chapter 289 is based at Lincoln county airport (Y14) by Tea, SD. We have a pancake breakfast the third Saturday of each month from 8:00 to 10:30. There are quite a few RV,s on the field. I believe the 3rd Saturday in October we are having a wings and wheels get together. A local hot rod group and the eaa member pilots bring out the cars and planes and invite the public to come check it out.

You and you alone know your finances. If you currently have room in your budget and your spouses blessing it is possible. The 12 if built as an e- lsa as van sells it the cost is all spelled out except for paint I believe. Feel free to pm or e- mail me if you have any questions. The gentleman Geico266 was referring to is Gayle Wilts. He started building RV's back in the 80's. Best of luck.

PM me

Send me a PM or email with your contact info and location. I am going to be in Grand Forks ND Sept 14-18 and might have some free time. I might be able to fly down and give you a ride and some straight poop on the whole experience.

My wife and two children(6 & 9 at the time we started) built our -10 in two years on two average incomes. Yes, with some sacrificing anything is possible. We have no satellite TV at home, rarely dine out except for family trips in the plane monthly and drive 11 & 13 yr old vehicles. Yes, there is risk. We have all known someone close that has been in an accident and have learned from them. I can say that I have had many more close calls in my truck or motorcycle for equal time. You can save a lot of weight, time and money during the build if you keep it simple. Don't try to build another person's dream plane. My IFR equipped plane has never logged one minute of IFR. We have had a blast VFR and rarely had to delay coming home. When we did, we already made allowances for that and continued enjoying our vacation. Good luck and keep us posted.

Build vs Buy

Ask yourself this question. Do you really want to build an airplane? You can buy for about the same price as you can build. Maybe even cheaper. I have a wife and 3 kids and until recently lived on a single income. I am building an airplane because I really want to build. I guess you'd say I am a slow builder. I work on the plane when I want to and for how long I want to. It gets frustrating at times (took two years to get my tanks leak free) but when major pieces go together permanently, there is a great feeling of accomplishment. See if you can get the kids involved. I think you'd be hard pressed to build without any help at all. Ask your wife if she is willing to lend a hand when you need it. You can build most of the airplane without any help but sometimes you really need a second set of hands. My two oldest could care less about the airplane. My 8 year old gives me h*ll when I don't work on it. If you really want to build you can definitely do it. I am lucky that I have builders in the area (thanks Bruce!) to lend a hand when needed and give sage advice, but if your wife is on board with helping you can definitely do it. Just my 2 cents.

Absolutely YES!!!

Yes, you can do it. I have three little kids (8,7, and 5) and am slowly but steadily working on my project. I started it when my wife and I barely made any money combined. I made rapid progress. Now, my wife and I are doing well financially and I have no time. Funny how that works. I have accepted the fact that since we have three little kids the plane will not progress at the uberspeeds you see some builders accomplish. It will however, one day be finished. When that is, I don't care. Between then and now I have a hobby that is phenomonally rewarding that will eventually produce a dramatic result. One of the posters who responded to your question I think posted some very interesting thoughts regarding risk and priorities that I think you need to evaluate. Determine your comfort level with the risks of experimental aircraft and move forward or backward accordingly. Me, heck, you could get killed running along the road by a gang of thugs with nothing better to do. You could also get sick and die before your time. Life is to short to shelve passions for a later date. I vote go for it.

You are right to be concerned - it is not an easy or cheap or fast task

I don't know what the failure to complete rate is but I suspect it is high. I built an RV-6A with my Wife in our garage with no outside help. The entire process through final painting took 8 years but I made the first flight in ~7.5 years. We had no children we did it on my income and an equity line of credit on our home. We owned an Archer II during that time.

The fact that you are an owner pilot already is a BIG plus in so many ways.

Family - Since you already have two kids you have an extra constraint to deal with. A Cessna is a great family travel airplane and in an RV you would need a RV-10 if your plan is to replace the Cessna and have the same passenger capacity. That is a family thing that you alone can work out. It will be best I think if the whole family is involved in the project. It will be a life changing experience for you all - hopefully a good one.

Money - It is very expensive - on the order of buying a house as opposed to buying a car. I have a hunch you can find a way to swing it. Many people start with a tail kit and commit progressively. I was 60 at the time and it was a quick build all at once decision for us with the finish kit, the engine & prop and the avionics left for purchase as we reached the point where we needed them to flow into our little production effort.

Facilities - We built ours in half of a 2-car garage - we were resourceful - parts and materials were stored throughout the house - especially in the beginning - kids will be a concern there.

Skill - If you have no aircraft sheet metal work experience I consider it absolutely essential that you get some formal class training before buying the kit. I did this with a one week course that Van's staff taught at the time (no longer available). It is not hard at all but there are key talents, methods, skills that that the trade has developed over many years you must learn and apply to build a good airplane. Lessons learned on your own airplane or worse, lessons not learned at all need to be avoided. In a few days in a class environment you can learn everything you need to know to do the work. You still will need to make custom tools and do some improvisation but you will have an idea of correctness as you size up each challenge. I worked in Aerospace for 50 years and to young adulthood I built control line and free flight model airplanes so I have a pretty good eye for design and I was immediately impressed with the real airplane maturity of the designs. They are designed to be high performance metal airplanes with no compromises to "make it easy to build." That requires you to have or acquire the skills to do real aircraft quality work.

Unexpected benefits - it is impossible to go through the airplane building process and not grow as a person in parts of life that you never imagine. Self confidence, reliance, problem solving, planning - all that stuff will be elevated to a new level if you stick to it and succeed. Even if you fail to complete the airplane I think this is true.

OK I'm running out of gas, I have to start a trip to Ephrata, Washington in the morning to fly the RV-6A completed in 2004 in a cross country air race.

Good luck with your decision - I think you are enjoying the conceptual process already.

Bob Axsom

Since you have a c-172, fly around to some airports with RV activity and see first hand what is involved and meet some builders for advice. Airplanes are built with a collection of little jobs and none of them are difficult with the proper tools and methods, sure you will trash some parts but that is expected while learning. If you have a shop at home and can afford it w/o cutting corners elsewhere, I don't think the kids would be a problem. They may well be helpers before you're done and co-pilots later.

I believe anyone can build an RV if they put their mind to it. The are over 8000 data points that prove it. The great thing about building is you control the timetable. Took me 8 years to build my -4 because I chose to spend time schlepping my young daughter all over the east coast playing travel soccer at the time. You can chose when you work on it.

As for risk well who hasn't heard of someone being hit head on by a drunk driver, etc. But like most things in life you get to decide the amount of risk you take on. I never understood the amount of concern my father must have had when I first took off on a solo X-country in the Champ he taught me to fly in. But I am eternally greatful he gave me the opportunity. Nuff said, to each his own, etc.

As for doing it yourself - yes you can.

If finances are an issue consider building one of the older kits that aren't so pre-fabricated. When I built the -4 my labor rate was $0/hour and I spread out the costs over, well, 8 years. The building was as satisfying as the flying, almost....

With sites like this and builder pages the is literally nothing about building you can't learn about and thousands of people all to willing to cheer you on.

One last thing. Enroll your family in the journey. It will be a thankless trek without them and presents many opportunities to create the memories that so enrichen the fabric of life if they come along for the ride.

Don't take counsel from your fears....

Richard Bibb
Stafford, Va

One last thing. Enroll your family in the journey. It will be a thankless trek without them and presents many opportunities to create the memories that so enrichen the fabric of life if they come along for the ride.

I have gotten a lot of inspiration from this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=96772

I think there's a lot of photographic proof that building and family doesn't have to be an either/or decision.

Do It, But Manage Your Expectations

I started my slow build RV-8 in 1999. Since that time, I changed jobs, moved from TN to CO and back to TN, and started a business. I am still working on finishing the fuselage although it is about 95% done (no, really).

The lesson here is that life outside of the building project will require a certain amount of time, especially with small kids. Don't miss their soccer games and activities. After all, you are making a very wise investment when you invest your time with your family. But, they won't require 100% of your time either and you may have to block out certain less convenient times to building, such as after they go to bed, or early in the morning. When they get older, involve them in the project (you'll need some help anyway). Plan for the project to take several years. Lower your expectations for when you will fly it. Relax and enjoy the ride. That helps you spread the costs over years as well, and perhaps you can take advantage of unfinished kits that seem to always be for sale. Keep the cash ready for those opportunities!

Bottom line is DO IT, but manage your expectations as to when it will be ready to fly. You must choose the journey as the goal. Just my thoughts!

Last edited:
You can do it. Even a guy that build hoses for a living can do it. Granted, I helped with several other builds before I took the leap. AND---you can do it on a single income---even if that single income has "other" places that the money seems to go.
There are alot of guys around your area that you can get advise from, and even some physical help. VAF is the best support system out there. No question is too crazy, or to serious. in the long run, we want to see YOUR RV grin.

Welcome aboard.
Tom

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input everyone! You have brought up a lot of good points and are making me feel more confident about going for it!

advise

Thanks for all the input everyone! You have brought up a lot of good points and are making me feel more confident about going for it!

Here's something I rarely see mentioned.
I've always been in the garage building something. I built all the furniture in the house. I built and flew a dozen RC planes. I restored a VW Beatle. I've rebuilt several $500 cars, trucks and jeeps and always made money when they were sold. I'm probably going to keep the latest All came with a learning curve and tons of enjoyment but one thing always stuck with me.

My wife was talking to another wife once about all my hobbies and was asked about all the time and money spent. She asked this one question.
What does your husband do for fun? I can't remember the answer but her response was yes he spends some money but no matter when or where, I always know where my husband is. He's in the garage. Do you know where yours is?

She's so supportive and I think that makes all the difference in finishing a project like this.

No doubt, Do it. Confucius say: "Forget all completion rate expectations for maximum enjoyment."....ok, that works for me, but just do it. Really.

I am looking at how to pay for the fuselage right now. Not sure there's any other way (for me) than the good ole fashioned way of sticking back coins, but I don't care. It allows me to go slower and work more deliberately on the task at hand on the wings, therefore I produce a better end product than if I felt rushed to get it finished. Just the other day, I was looking at some plate nuts and admiring how beautifully set the rivets were.....sad, I know. So jump in, the water is warm.

Take your time

I started my project almost a year ago and I have less experience than most others on this forum but the best advice I took in the beginning was to not log my time. If I had, I would be really discouraged right now! If you take your time and enjoy every moment and dont put pressure on yourself with goals like 3 years or 5 years you will be less frustrated. Keep the 172 and build when you can. Spend all the time you can with the kids and let them grow up and participate around the build.

Leap...you won't mind the 'fall'~

I started my project in 2004, after a preliminary add-on project of enclosing the bottom of the house/slab to have a workshop to build in. Moved everything from FL in 2010 and am in the process of moving again to VA, so PODS has been a tremendous asset in getting the fuse/wings/tail feathers there unscathed (so far, still TBD on arrival condition from the second move...currently in storage), and although it's taking a while to complete, I enjoy the process. I don't think you'll regret the decision but like someone else said...manage the expectations realistically and you'll be fine.

I have a slightly different view on that

I started my project almost a year ago and I have less experience than most others on this forum but the best advice I took in the beginning was to not log my time. If I had, I would be really discouraged right now! If you take your time and enjoy every moment and dont put pressure on yourself with goals like 3 years or 5 years you will be less frustrated. Keep the 172 and build when you can. Spend all the time you can with the kids and let them grow up and participate around the build.

I logged every minute I worked on the plane and every thing I did and 17 years later I still log every original thing I do on it. And I take photographs that are date coded to the log book for correlation. It is a valuable reference and a record of a unique creation. When a significant world event or a very personal moment unrelated to it happened I often included a mention in the log - those personal things are especially important to me now. Not that either of us is right or wrong but it is something that once passed up can never be recovered. Think about it before you take your path.

Bob Axsom

Back