What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central TX Reason to Fly in October

If that actually happens... It is going to get way out of control. I'm pretty sure I can find a useful purpose to fly through a tank of fuel every couple of days in October. For those that haven't looked, $1/gal fuel for the whole month of October at San Marcos, TX. He has the money to actually pull it off from what I hear.

Holy Smokes! That's almost worth coming back from Nevada....but Louise is still in KCLL - close to make fuel runs!

If that actually happens... It is going to get way out of control. I'm pretty sure I can find a useful purpose to fly through a tank of fuel every couple of days in October. For those that haven't looked, $1/gal fuel for the whole month of October at San Marcos, TX. He has the money to actually pull it off from what I hear.

Wow! ! Count me in. Looks like I will be staying at the Cards house for the month of October. I could knock out my IFR ticket with those prices.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to do a lot of flying in October. Lets see if I can get the month off work.:rolleyes:

$1 a gallon !!!

A $1 per gallon!!!!!

Lets ,,,see,,, . From Hicks T67,, San Marcos, and Redbird FBO is on the way to Amelia's Landing. They sometimes have open rooms during the week.
Gruene Hall for live music near New Braunfels.
There must be a lot of things to do while passing through San Marcos.
Any more ideas, anyone?
I am getting the map out to think up some travel ideas.
Got to take advantage of that $1 per gallon fuel.

Last edited:
The Cessna 172 Club is organizing a fly-in October 18-20. They've already made arrangements with the Redbird simulator folks that run the FBO and are based in San Marcos.

Here are some details:

Okay folks, it's time to start booking hotel rooms for the Texas Fly-In. The dates are confirmed and the Fly-In will commence at 1700 on Friday, October 18 and end at 1200 Sunday, October 20.

The Candlewood Suites in San Marcos is the official hotel of the Fly-In. Special rates for Cessna 172 Club members is $75/night ($145 normal price) for a single queen room and $75/night for double queen room ($155 normal price). Yes that's right, $75 for either room.

The Candlewood Suites is located at 600 Wonder World Drive, San Marcos, TX and the phone number is 512-749-1717. Be sure to ask for the "Skyport" rate and let them know you are a member of the Cessna 172 Club.

The Fly-In will feature:
- Beer/pizza/aviation movie Meet 'n Greet Friday night

- A tour of the Redbird Skyport Facility with one lucky member winning an hour of sim time with instructor.

- A guided tour of the CAF warbird hangar

- A field trip to world famous "Cooper's Pit BBQ" in New Braunfels, TX

- Best 172 Contest

- Flour bomb contest

- Camping area (under shady oak trees) and showers

- No ramp fees/free tie downs. Hangar available in case of inclement weather.

- Fuel discount (<----- This was before the news $1/gal fuel!)

Guess we'll take off the month of October, get another 100 hrs on the ole
7A . :D Time to drop in the Long Range tank! :eek:

rental car and ramp parking

Notice KHYI is only 35 mins from Austin and 55 mins from San Antonio, do they have rental cars and ramp parking for a long weekend visit?

Dead Stick

Hope no one flames out trying to get there on empty tanks! Be prepared for FAA ramp checks! They could have a field day there!:eek:

Actually .99 cents a gallon

The lines are reported less than 30 minutes to fill up. Just enough time for some refreshments. :D

It's for real. Spent 39 bucks to fill up the old cardinal, I was parked next to a nice red RV 8A with Amelia's Landing painted on the nose. Had to rush back to work.

just short of 1200nm and 61gals to get there. I should do it just on principle...I'll never see $1 avgas around here.

We flew in today, and bought a whopping $17 worth! That is a really nice FBO.

While we were there, we bought lunch, got our O2 tank refilled, and visited the CAF museum. We plan on flying in several times this month, as it's only an hour away.

1186171_582454771790421_1798921903_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hope no one flames out trying to get there on empty tanks! Be prepared for FAA ramp checks! They could have a field day there!:eek:
There's also the IRS audit and potential meteor strike! Heads up! (Need some fuel left when I head over!)

The FBO was tracking a C-182 on Flightaware who was flying in -- from PHOENIX -- for the 99 cent gas.

Which actually makes sense. If he gets 60 gallons, he's saving $300. Basically free flying!
:D

I'm in

40 gal in the main, 34 gal in each tip, I will be topping off the 'ol rangmaster this weekend. Only 1 hundred dollar bill vs the the 6 of them it usually takes....I'm in.

40 gal in the main, 34 gal in each tip, I will be topping off the 'ol rangmaster this weekend. Only 1 hundred dollar bill vs the the 6 of them it usually takes....I'm in.

We'll see you on the ramp, but I'm pretty sure you'll be paying full price for any fuel in anything other than the mains.

Is 8200 NM too far to come?

Here in Australia the cheapest price in the country is about US$9.20 / Gal. We'd think the regular US price was a bargin. Perhaps we should fly over and get some of this!

anything under 200 gal is $1.00

We'll see you on the ramp, but I'm pretty sure you'll be paying full price for any fuel in anything other than the mains.

-FROM THE FBO-

Wes, you will be fine with the tip tanks up to 200 gallons. Anything over 200 gallons will be charged retail price at $6.09/gallon.

John Koenreich
General Manager
Redbird Skyport FBO

On Oct 4, 2013, at 13:23, Wes Ripley wrote:
Define ?Only the regular tanks in the aircraft will be filled?? Dose this exclude the 34 gal tip tanks on my navion rangemaster?
Wes

Good deal Wes... I was told they would fill any plane, don't know of to many 100LL burners that take on 200 gallons. :)

We did our part for $1 fuel today. We arrived at high noon. It definitely was a zoo but the controllers were rockin' it. I counted 22 aircraft on the ramp when we parked. Went in, filled out a form, and did the survey/interview thingy. All super simple questions about our flying and GA habits. We had a burger for lunch and hung out while they fueled. They sent a SMS text when it was ready. I think it took about 45 minutes to an hour. It didn't matter, I surely wasn't in a hurry. Plenty of stuff going on to watch.

8 simulated instrument approaches, 5+ turns in holding patterns, 6 touch-n-gos, about 3hrs under the hood. All for nearly free. The airplane is back at minimum fuel and ready for another load tomorrow. Always more skills to tune when avgas is only $1/gallon!

169ohls.png

Natural Bridge Caverns

Natural Bridge Caverns are less than an hour from San Marcos. My wife and I flew down Sunday morning and rented a car for the day through Redbird Skyport. It made for a really nice day trip.

SBCXplsl.jpg

My wife and I went and got fuel yesterday evening. The two hour wait was a bit painful, but worth it for $1 gas.

They said they had just found out the $1 gas would be ending on the 15th.

I was in the area two weeks ago and apparently just missed it. Sounds like the logistics were too difficult to offer the cheap gas for the entire month. It was a little frustrating to hear from locals that people were flying in large aircraft, de fueling then going in for more. I think the point was to drum up support nationwide for the largest sample for the survey (most pilots) not to sell the most gallons of gas. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Back