-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:00 AM

Added the glass to the front of this bulkhead.

And then separated the hatch from the fairing and trimmed the bulkhead.

Put it together again and back on the fuselage for a fit check. So far itís fine.

The front of the fairing is about where the cowl cheek bulkhead goes. Iíll need to tweak the aluminum bulkhead, which was just a bit oversize on the right had side, and remove the hatchís fiberglass one.

Before then, though, I laid up the beginnings of the flanges for the aft portion of this cheek extension. At this point, Iím only using two layers of bid and a cover of peel ply, because I wasnít sure how well this would work out. So far it seems okay. I expect to add more when this has cured.

Although I have no photo of it, the aft end has been finished off and after adding a third layer of fiberglass, I trimmed the flanges. Iíve added the flanges on the right hand fairing, too.

Have a great Fourth!

Dave
Old 07-12-2022, 04:28 PM

Added the glass to the front of this bulkhead.

And then separated the hatch from the fairing and trimmed the bulkhead.

Put it together again and back on the fuselage for a fit check. So far it’s fine.

The front of the fairing is about where the cowl cheek bulkhead goes. I’ll need to tweak the aluminum bulkhead, which was just a bit oversize on the right hand side, and remove the hatch’s fiberglass one.

Before then, though, I laid up the beginnings of the flanges for the aft portion of this cheek extension. At this point, I’m only using two layers of bid and a cover of peel ply, because I wasn’t sure how well this would work out. So far it seems okay. I expect to add more when this has cured.

Although I have no photo of it, the aft end has been finished off and the flanges trimmed. I’ve added the flanges on the right hand fairing, too, including the area at the aft end. Not shown, they are trimmed. I needed to use a small bit of foam to help shape the aft end, unlike the right-hand side.

After measuring and trial-fitting the battery in the right hand fairing, I moved that cowl bulkhead forward a couple inches. The aft end of the battery didn’t fit comfortably inside the hatch - had to make a flange extension piece to do this. Fortunately there’s room - so far - in the cheek area behind the engine.

Here’s the bottom battery mount. The flange extension is on the right side of the battery inside the cowl cheek itself. The brass nut stack is the pass-through for the ground forest of tabs, which is just inside. The ground forest has two bolts. The other one is into a nutplate riveted inside the cheek extension out of sight.

The red pads are some silicone baffle flange material that I had on hand. I used Pliobond to glue them on, this is a somewhat industrial contact cement that’s been available for probably upwards of 50 years. The two horizontal strips nicely account for the mild curve of the fuselage side.

*** Later - Don't use Pliobond for red silicone! The peel strength is approximately zero. ***

With the bottom mount on, I could not resist seeing what the whole battery mount assembly looks like. The orange dots are the magnets I’m using to hold it all together. These are very convenient and I strongly recommend having a couple dozen of them. You can get them here.

There will be a few changes and some obvious trimming. For one thing, the stack of magnets to the immediate left of the battery is just an aft stop. The battery is an empty dummy. EarthX sells these and it’s been very useful for mocking-up the assembly.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 07-14-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:10 PM

The battery mount is in and the photo shows it latched.

Dan Christian, whom we we know as Dan 57, flew in for a brief visit. He was traveling from Switzerland to Oshkosh and back in his RV-6. This was not a direct flight, with stops all around the U.S. and Canada. Quite an interesting visit, and a very nice RV-6.

The fore-aft battery stops were not yet in. I had added a short extension forward for the cowl cheek bulkhead, and after some time jiggling this and that, got the right-hand cowl cheek bulkhead installed. Here it is with the battery mount open. That stack of magnets between the silicone strips and the ground forest pass-though is merely acting as a temporary stop.

The silicone pieces can be attached reasonably securely with Ultra Blue silicone gasket sealant.

I removed the forward molded-in bulkhead from that RV-4 cowl cheek extension as it was in the way of the battery. Not to worry, thereís plenty of fiberglass work ahead.

Speaking of that, I trimmed off the cowl core from the bottom right-hand cheek area of the cowl for an inch or so, to provide space for the parts that the quarter-turn fasteners on this side attach to. Later I decided to use nutplates for the cowl cheeks.

A small setbackÖ. The hatch did not clear the battery latch. I removed all the stainless latch assembly and replaced it with aluminum and a screw. Everything fits fine now.

Iíve started prepping for the hatch hinges - the upper hinge pin can be removed to open the hatch, but the bottom one stays in place. You can see the upper one in the photo. The bottom one, also shown, needs further adjustment.

Dave