What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Targa Strip Install

Sandrews

Well Known Member
Anyone have details and pictures on adding a “targa strip” to the rear of a tip up canopy?

Thanks

Targa top...

Generally speaking, use a piece of heavy construction paper/cardboard to create the template, transfer to aluminum, use an english wheel to finish/stretch/shrink the curve.

Here are a few pictures. PM for details.

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 285
Vinyl wrap

Someone posted recently about using a vinyl wrap as their targa strip. Picture of it looked good.

I’m headed towards the targa strip, as well, since my acquired 7a had the canopy corner broken edge. I used Plastifix to repair it. Now time to sand it down and do a targa strip.

I’ll check out BJdecker’s application, thanks!

Fiberglass

I used fiberglass. Tape off the edges where you want the width of the strip. lay down packing tape over that to use as a mold release. Mask off the rest of the windows/wing in case of drips. Lay down strips of fiberglass that are thinner at the edges and thicker in the middle. Allow to harden and pop the strip off the airplane. Cut to proper length, sand for a clean edge and paint. I used silicone as an adhesive and then three screws as a mechanical fastener, one on each end and one in the center.

Attachments

• 20210912_115349.jpg
    20210912_115349.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 20210912_115342.jpg
    20210912_115342.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I used fiberglass. Tape off the edges where you want the width of the strip. lay down packing tape over that to use as a mold release. Mask off the rest of the windows/wing in case of drips. Lay down strips of fiberglass that are thinner at the edges and thicker in the middle. Allow to harden and pop the strip off the airplane. Cut to proper length, sand for a clean edge and paint. I used silicone as an adhesive and then three screws as a mechanical fastener, one on each end and one in the center.
Plus one for this, though for my taste, I would go narrower.
I did pretty much the same but using carbon fiber. Just scuff the trailing edge of the canopy really well, mask off and put a layer of plastic on the rollbar and rear window. Lay up your fiber cloth or carbon cloth and let it cure. Once cured, trim to the width you like and then sand and paint. Not much to it.

UD,
How many layers of cloth did this require?

UD,
How many layers of cloth did this require?

If I recall correctly, the edges had 3 or 4 layers, the center 6 or 7. The way I laid up the cloth, I cut the strips about 2/3's of the finished width and alternated from one side to the other with the center getting more overlapping layers than the edges.

To get long straight edges, I sanded using about a 12" long sanding block.

Anyone have details and pictures on adding a “targa strip” to the rear of a tip up canopy?

Thanks

Another idea not yet tested...

Here is a different way of approaching the gap problem in a tip up canopy. I'm not done building so I have Not put this idea into practice but will try it when the time comes. I suggest testing the idea first before putting it on your plane.

I have always been interested in sealing up the gap between the split in the canopy but didn't care for the thick looking targa strip. We all have tried "experimental" ways to solve a problem and I'm hoping this one will work.

I have spoken to a few guys which sell and install frameless glass shower door enclosures and they offered up an idea to use a shower door seal to close up the gap.

We discussed any drawbacks they could see being in an outdoor environment. Here is what they told me.

1. It will be rigid when cold and pliable when warm. He likened it to windshield wiper blades. Their suggestion was to install with a little heat so it will nicely take the shape of the canopy curve. In the cold it will just keep that shape. So far it all sounded good to me to keep it on the "try this' list.

2. If parked outside in sun they said it may yellow after several years. I didn't like to hear that, but I could always change it every 4 years. It is very cheap to buy.

Here is a link to product they said I should be looking at. This "h" shape is made by different companies in different sizes and hardness.

https://www.gordonglassusa.com/item...0-Degree-for-5-16-Glass--95-in-long-PCC8.html

If you get this to work or have other ideas that worked, please share them.

Fiberglass

My canopy skirt has 5 layers. Alternating seams and weave direction.
Popped it off. Prepped. Sikaflexed. Painted.

Another idea not yet tested...

Here is a different way of approaching the gap problem in a tip up canopy. I'm not done building so I have Not put this idea into practice but will try it when the time comes. I suggest testing the idea first before putting it on your plane.

I have always been interested in sealing up the gap between the split in the canopy but didn't care for the thick looking targa strip. We all have tried "experimental" ways to solve a problem and I'm hoping this one will work.

I have spoken to a few guys which sell and install frameless glass shower door enclosures and they offered up an idea to use a shower door seal to close up the gap.

We discussed any drawbacks they could see being in an outdoor environment. Here is what they told me.

1. It will be rigid when cold and pliable when warm. He likened it to windshield wiper blades. Their suggestion was to install with a little heat so it will nicely take the shape of the canopy curve. In the cold it will just keep that shape. So far it all sounded good to me to keep it on the "try this' list.

2. If parked outside in sun they said it may yellow after several years. I didn't like to hear that, but I could always change it every 4 years. It is very cheap to buy.

Here is a link to product they said I should be looking at. This "h" shape is made by different companies in different sizes and hardness.

https://www.gordonglassusa.com/item...0-Degree-for-5-16-Glass--95-in-long-PCC8.html

If you get this to work or have other ideas that worked, please share them.

I have tried this and it did not work for me. The lift/airflow over the canopy causes the "seal" to flutter. It would not lay flat inflight, even though it formed a nice seal on the ground. Buzzed badly and literally sanded a rough edge in to the plexiglass.

Back