What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identify This Boost Pump

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Inspecting an RV-8 IO-360...
I haven't seen this pump used in an RV and have no experience with it. Anyone recognize this pump and can offer an educated opinion on its suitability. The area circled in yellow also appears to be an open case/seal drain. Tomorrow I'll be investigating further... just trying to get a head start. Thanks!

IMG_2228%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Last edited:
Appears to be a Weldon pump, I’ve seen them on Twin Cessna and Beechcraft, not sure about the suitability but they are $$$.

Thanks for the replies...

Yep, I just confirmed it's a Weldon and also why I haven't seen any installed in RVs; they're twice the price of Airflow Performance!

/reb

Here's a tidbit for the memory bank...

You can send it to Aircraft Accessories in OK and they will convert it from a high pressure pump to a low pressure pump. Or vis a versa. Good pumps.

If you are not familiar with the drains on fuel pumps such as the one you circled. it drains the an area between the pump seal and the motor in the event the pump seal leaks. this way you shouldn't get fuel inside your electric motor.
Also note that CJ Aviation is now partnered with McFarlane and is FAA/EASA Approved for overhaul of Weldon pumps, also Dukes and Airborne.

My Weldon pump is mounted on the firewall and looks like that. It started leaking a little at about 350 tach hours no drip, but blue staining around the weep hole. They’re available new (~$1100) or rebuilt (~$800 with core) at several places, including Aircraft Spruce. I bought a rebuilt one from QAA and it works fine. Quick shipping

I've been running the Weldon for about a dozen yrs now, I mounted it forward of the pass rudder pedals so I didn't have to use a 'dog house' which takes up to much leg room. Built in press regulation and bypass so simple to plumb.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 270
I learn something here everyday. It's a great feeling being surrounded by generous and helpful individuals... thanks again everyone!

I have a Weldon pump. I replaced it with a pump from Vans after having it rebuilt twice. The pump resides in my retired parts box. Is the core worth anything?

I have a Weldon pump. I replaced it with a pump from Vans after having it rebuilt twice. The pump resides in my retired parts box. Is the core worth anything?

The core charge on the one that I replaced was $400 at QAA which was the max (a year ago). They don’t commit to that price until they get a chance to tear it down and look it over.

Back