What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying from DFW area to Oregon ? Advice and one way open seat

Flying again!

Well Known Member
I am planning on flying to Eugene, OR to pick up my daughter and fly her back to the DFW area. The route I am planning now is 52F-4V1-1V8-KBTF-KGNG-KEUG, landing at 4V1 and KGNG for fuel and a short break. I plan of flying thru/over Mosca Pass, (9740 ft).

At 1406nm this seems like the most direct route while avoiding some of the passes that can be a problem (Monarch, Loveland etc.). The highest terrain on the profile view is around 11,000 ft and I will be flying with Oxygen and plan for 14500 over those areas. Plan on crossing before noon and when the wind is less than 25 knots over the passes and higher ridges. Any suggestions or comments?

Last time I flew over the Rockies (to/from Yellowstone from DFW and from Vancouver to DFW) I took a more Northern routes that avoided a lot of the high terrain.

Coming back I think the RV-10 will be filled with my daughters stuff but on the way out it will just be me. If anyone needs a lift to Denver or Eugene or anywhere along the route let me know.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

TJ

My personal limit for winds aloft for the sierras around me is 20 knots. unless going 2K + higher than the ridge tops.

That route through the Rockies should be fairly docile given your attention to the winds. I always try for 2k above the pass/peaks if possible. Although I do not classify myself as a 'mountain pilot', I have flown into that central valley several times. I took a Super Cub over the Saguache/Gunnison/Montrose/Grand Junction route several years ago and it was no problem even at lower mountain altitudes, below 12k. Grand Junction has a lot of jet traffic, but was a very accommodating fuel stop and a really nice FBO which took care of us well.

Great route!

When are you planning to go?

I assume from looking at your route that from 1V8 you will be going through North Pass into the Gunnison/Montrose/Black Canyon area and then to KGJT and onward - correct? If so, then i think your route through the Colorado mountains looks just fine. Your plan to cross the higher terrain before noon is also a good one, but don't take that for granted. Stay up to date with current and forecast weather as you proceed, including up to date winds aloft, turbulence and the pressure system and frontal system movements. Don't be bashful about taking advantage of alternate airports along the way to sit out the weather for a few minutes if it gets questionable.

You should really only need to plan to be no more than about 2,000 feet above the ridges of the passes, even under most higher windy conditions. For me its the level of expected turbulence that drives my decision for crossing altitudes. 14,500 seems a little excessive to me, unless necessary to get out of some long-term excessive turbulence. Winds between 20 to 30 knots at altitude require careful consideration not only of their speed, but of their directions as well. Change of altitude, route, or decision to wait until the wind speeds reduce or the wind direction changes are sometimes the most prudent choices to make, especially if the turbulence becomes severe.

Remember your maneuvering speed and fly it when necessary - more specifically know what Va is at your current weight. It will be slower if you are not at max gross weight. Also calculate your density altitude, and clearly understand the impacts on your climb performance - even if you are flying in that hotrod RV10. if your home is Texas, I recommend you use oxygen above 9-10,000 feet, but try to fly at lower altitudes in between higher terrain so you don't have to use it all the time.

Ask for PIREPS during your weather briefing, and submit PIREPS of your own for other pilots as you travel-even if it is severe clear and calm where you are at. Believe it or not, but this is still the best, most accurate way for pilots to discern what is going on in them thar hills!

Other than that, higher pressure and hotter temps are prevailing now, with afternoon thunderstorms building over the mountains and becoming the norm out on the eastern plains. Density altitudes will be averaging 4,000-5000 feet higher than your present altitude - so be aware, and plan your climbs accordingly.

Sounds like a great journey. Looking forward to the trip reports both ways, and some pics if you can swing it.

Last edited:
KGNG is a great choice for fuel. Was there on the 27th of May.

Don't know if you've checked out www.windyty.com . it is great for checking winds at different altitudes. You can even check out forecast winds in advance.

For my Alaska trip, I checked it every day along my planned route. I chose a Sunday for my flight, 10-days in advance. On the Sunday I flew the route, the winds were as forecast.

Hope you enjoy your flight. Sounds like some beautiful country to fly over!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Thanks for all the good advice.

Flyin' Bryan, I am planning on flying the 23rd of June +/- depending on weather. The plan is to leave 52F at 7am which would get me into the mountains after the first fuel stop around 10am MST.

I am looking forward to the trip and will try to take some pictures and post a report.

The return will be down the West Coast turning inland toward Bull Head, AZ to see my cousin. That California airspace is busy and complicated so will probably be coming back to the forum asking for tips and advice.

Don't Fear the Mountains in an RV

I'm based at Inyokern, CA, (IYK) on the eastern side of the Sierra. I encounter the Sierra or the Owens Valley turbulence on nearly every flight in my -8A (870 hrs.). I've learned a few things.
1. if it's windy in the valley, it will be rough in the mountains.
2. If it's calm in the valley, it may be rough in the mountains.
3. Unless it's something near a tornado, you aren't going to damage your RV.
4. There's a big difference between comfort level and danger level.
5. Turbulence will be worse on the leeward side of the ridges.
6. Use your autopilot (I have a TruTrak ADI II) but monitor closely for disconnect.
7. You could encounter a roller and end up in an unusual attitude - probably nose low.. Expect it - and know how to recover. The wings don't really care what attitude you're in. Reduce power, unload the G, level the wings and carefully pull to the horizon. Don't panic and try to pull the wings off. You can easily recover with minimum altitude loss - but as always in an RV, with the nose pointing down, watch your airspeed.
8. Don't be too concerned about it, or analyze it to death - sometimes you need some turbulence to keep the pilot awake!

I am planning on flying to Eugene, OR to pick up my daughter and fly her back to the DFW area. The route I am planning now is 52F-4V1-1V8-KBTF-KGNG-KEUG, landing at 4V1 and KGNG for fuel and a short break. I plan of flying thru/over Mosca Pass, (9740 ft).

At 1406nm this seems like the most direct route while avoiding some of the passes that can be a problem (Monarch, Loveland etc.). The highest terrain on the profile view is around 11,000 ft and I will be flying with Oxygen and plan for 14500 over those areas. Plan on crossing before noon and when the wind is less than 25 knots over the passes and higher ridges. Any suggestions or comments?

Last time I flew over the Rockies (to/from Yellowstone from DFW and from Vancouver to DFW) I took a more Northern routes that avoided a lot of the high terrain.

Coming back I think the RV-10 will be filled with my daughters stuff but on the way out it will just be me. If anyone needs a lift to Denver or Eugene or anywhere along the route let me know.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

TJ

Does she go to OREGON? Great school.

Does she go to Oregon STATE?

Great school!

😜

Phil
Salt Lake City
KBTF
RV-10 so close I can taste it....

Planned Route

Here is the route to/from Eugene - Weather looks good to leave Friday morning (23 Jun) from 52F and arrive around 4-5pm local in Eugene. Planned return is Sunday stopping at Half Moon Bay for lunch with overnight in KIFP to visit my cousin (going to be very hot!). Leave KIPF on Monday with a stop at KSJN for fuel and on to 52F. All weather dependent of course.

I will post some pics and a write up upon my return.

0FGnWTUfRvaya9FUVewi-GEpanL6QeRgFzph_G9ZcG9RAd7eLVfY1gQNlJVjOaQBPozL83pfYLfJym29bYAe97aNg-9cz5TPCvj_Rsl28TPBdxHPfNDAZfMmeiRj4xc_m-B3LnGgVGkVRe3aQiwcukE1zEaQsu-SLSdltvx4SdXLRRDs6r5mfACfrhN0McZ2TLT2oM1ZVir6hwpfbUCrXwuRFiiElAYi8rS6aPr9_Lm9DEbU1E-CeMHqdNSxZC6_XSlAlIie-TXIj7Aer-IYCYBmitIMC1I1phNJBcggl6sjKTFaA_RPO0ltCaqq_M0kRxS0ZA0M8_D2ZTu6EBICzLvITJLj0D4eyNI6FMirdS28sLEZW6sGRTh4OSpl0MEhOp_VVqopruWudPpA4KTbVXLsgDszNuobGC-Ou_ZzbkRwBX23fZ91Un2W-F14Lmhd2Myh-dhE-r6pEOpo5Arly1EK7vwjSr6XkXahWXdwFEbkiaEjZfTWxIUuwJchX81-idc6qzFZFj5h6Zs2ssGMMM7BO5Lnz39a4z2rd4HNWvIE62eEB3N5SlG8xslCTqevPzMK3kq9odCJFD4yWkmhGhMGnnsZQ-J2vsFf2p2JgIp--26v30HhK5cXGxsya3bpDowt0xZjs88tPD1mgmzAD8yTBrX90Y6qzhWlcKDbrA=w948-h600-no

since you are whipping past Corona, CA (Kajo) you can stop and have Aircraft Spruce pick you and get goods for yourself or a friend:rolleyes:

Back