What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motor mounts

Daver

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Getting ready to order the finish kit for my -9A.

I'd like to go ahead and hang my engine (o-320E2A) before I buy the FWF
kit. I assume Van's will allow me to delete items from the FWF kit I don't
need (like the mounts, alternator, etc).

Anyway, I'm seeking recommendations for motor mounts/hardware.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave,

Yes, they will let you delete anything you want, as long as you are not building an RV-12.

Hi all,

Getting ready to order the finish kit for my -9A.
I'm seeking recommendations for motor mounts/hardware.
Thanks!
Dave

You can purchase the bolts from Van's. But then go out and find LORD MOUNTS.......A/C Spruce HAS THEM. They are just built better......... smooooother.

Last edited:
Wished I'd seen this a week ago, I just ordered my finish kit. I'm not familiar with Lord Mounts, what makes them smoother or more desirable? Are there any other implications to how everything under the cowl fits together if you use them?

I ordered lord part # J-9613-40 from spruce. They just showed up today, so I can't tell you much about them yet.

Wished I'd seen this a week ago, I just ordered my finish kit. I'm not familiar with Lord Mounts, what makes them smoother or more desirable? Are there any other implications to how everything under the cowl fits together if you use them?

MORE INFO.....
Fluidlastic Mounts & Dampers

LORD Corporation’s fluid technology is quickly becoming the standard for superior noise and vibration isolation, as well as energy dissipation applications, due to its combination of high performance, ease of maintenance and efficient use of space. Our fluid technology is currently featured in mounts, lead lag dampers and torque restraints in both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.
Fluidlastic Mounts

LORD Fluidlastic fluid mounts combine rubber and fluids to provide vibration isolation and noise reduction measurably better than conventional mounts. They also provide greater versatility because the mounts are tuned to precisely match application requirements. Typical applications include engine mounts for fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.

The fluid mount is three mounts in one depending upon the frequency and amplitude of the excitation. It’s a spring providing basic load and motion capability to the system, a damper providing restricted motion at or near resonant conditions, and a tuned absorber providing superior isolation at a specific frequency.

Fluid mounts are rubber mounts that encapsulate a fluid that flows through a variety of ports and orifices depending upon the dynamic characteristics needed (Fig. 1). The result is a very versatile and effective vibration isolator.

Fig. 1
Fluid Mount Diagram
Features & Benefits

The use of sealed fluid chambers and elastomers offers higher static stiffness with lower dynamic stiffness.
The mounts (isolators) are self-contained and hermetically sealed, so they don’t leak. No service or field maintenance is required.
Like traditional elastomeric mounts, LORD fluid mounts are designed to last at least one engine TBO (time between overhaul). They can be remanufactured and returned to zero-hour parts.
LORD fluid devices can reduce up to 25% of overall system weight and decrease mechanical complexity.

Fluidlastic Dampers

Our fluid technology improves traditional dampers by eliminating the problematic sliding seals typically found in hydraulic dampers. A channel, tailored to meet the required application parameters, controls the oscillatory fluid flow between chambers. The fluid dampers can be designed with straight viscous damping or inertial damping. This allows performance to be tailored with temperature and frequency.

LORD fluid dampers are routinely designed to meet challenging operating conditions where traditional dampers may fall short, including cold temperature environments and small oscillatory displacements.

Since we use fluid to generate damping, a highly fatigue resistant elastomer can be used in lieu of a high-damped elastomer. This feature allows for a small component size with high endurance life.
Fluid

RELATED LINKS

Aerospace Distributors
Aerospace Questionnaire

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSe...ntsforGeneralAviation/tabid/3537/Default.aspx

Last edited:
How did you know what Lord mounts to get?

Andy,

How did you know what part number Lord mounts to get? Did you call one of the suppliers to ask? I have a O-320 D3G model that I'm using on my 9A. I had already decided that I wanted to spend the extra money to get some better mounts than Van sells. I have seen previous posts where after time there were cases where the engine sagged (maybe not the proper terminology) using the less expensive mounts.

How did you know what part number Lord mounts to get? Did you call one of the suppliers to ask?

In my case, I just called the factory and asked. :) The guy I talked to was very friendly and helpful, familiar with Van's designs, and knew exactly what I needed as soon as I said "IO-360 for an RV-7". I'd add the part number here but I'll be danged if I can find it this morning.

mcb

I ordered the Lord mounts after speaking to the gentleman at the factory. Told him I needed them for an IO-540 for an RV-10. I received them from Sky Geek, and they not only looked small for me, but were stamped for use in C-150's! After a couple of conversations back and forth, I decided to just go with Van's mounts, as I had them in my last RV-10 and it was super smooth.

Vic

Lord Bonded Sandwich Mountings

Although Lord does manufacture some high preformance Fluidlastic mounts that incorporate fluid damping, they are typically used on turboprop or turbofan engines due to their high cost. Their piston engine mounts are of the lower-cost rubber-to-metal bonded sandwich construction. The improvement that Lord mounts offer over the even lower-cost mounts from Van's results from better enginering and materials.

The Lord part number J-9613-40 mentioned in a previous post is used on a variety of PA-180s, including the PA-28-180 with an IO-360-B1E.

I didn't call, but went with the J-9613-40 part number based on recommendations in posts from other VAF members. If you search the forums with that part number it brings up quite a few threads.

The isolator came with two cupped rubber pieces, 1 large washer, and a squishy (perhaps liquid or gas filled) bladder that sits between the two cupped parts. It will be a month or so before hanging the engine. I did put one on the engine mount just to see how it fits - looks like it will work fine.

Andy,

How did you know what part number Lord mounts to get? Did you call one of the suppliers to ask? I have a O-320 D3G model that I'm using on my 9A. I had already decided that I wanted to spend the extra money to get some better mounts than Van sells. I have seen previous posts where after time there were cases where the engine sagged (maybe not the proper terminology) using the less expensive mounts.

Well, I went and picked up my finish kit today at the ABF terminal. No damage!!! Anyeay, I was very surprised and happy to see that the engine mount vibration isolators are now Lord J-11968-14. Nice surprise.

Vic

oops...

Oops. My mistake. I looked at the packing list and these are for the nosewheel shock absorber. The actual vibration isolators are backordered.

Vic

Which LORD Engine Mount P/N for IO-320

I will be receiving my IO-320 in about a week and would like to find the correct LORD part number for the motor mount vibration isolators.

Does anyone know about the BARRY mounts and the history of who BARRY is?

Is there an engineering analysis between BARRY mount and LORD (with what correct P/N) for an RV9A?

Referencing Spruce and the LORD PDF, I'm guessing at a P/N which would be J-9613-49 (but need to validate that for VANS A/C).

Back