What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner

Mike6A

Well Known Member
Is it a problem for a 6a to fly without a spinner? The front bulkhead will be off but not the rear.
Thanks

If you have a behind the prop blade filler attached to the rear bulkhead that has a forward support screw that goes into the spinner (like some FP props), then don’t. With the spinner off this filler will bend outward from the centrifugal force.

Carl

Thanks Carl. This is a new overhaul prop. I tied the tabs with tye wraps and ran it too 1900 rpm with no problem. I will take my chance.

I would not

Only the OEM has the design parameters. In general, the spinner is needed to ensure proper airflow/distribution through the cylinders. Related issues may not reveal themselves immediately.

My prediction is that you will have engine cooling problems- This is based on the fact that single engine Cessnas need that spinner to help direct air into the cowl inlets. I don't see why an RV would be any different.

As others have said, I would also be leery of what it would do to the spinner back plate, and other bits. There are a LOT of forces at work in that area.

I flew around for a hundred hours or more, no spinner.
No changes in cooling, or speed. Certainly no bulkhead deformation.
This on a Super 8.

My 2 Cents

Many years ago my boss contacted Grumman about flying an AA-5B Tiger without the spinner, pending long a lead-time spinner delivery when the installed one cracked. (poor design, another tale) They said no problem as long as the backplate was in place. They felt it would not cool properly without the backplate in place. Seemed a bit strange to me since the backplate actually covered cooling inlet area, but we had zero problems flying it that way, and no noticeable change in performance. Fast forward a few decades and the spinner cracked on our RV-6 (O-320-D1A, fixed Catto) After some discussion with techie friends and remembering the Tiger experience, we flew without the spinner, leaving the backplate in place with the same result. It looked awkward and worked fine. I ran some safety wire across the riveted bits behind the prop blades. Ty-wraps should have been fine, too. I don’t think it’s a Big Deal. Biggest hang-up was answering questions on the radio while taxiing.

Thanks all for the replies. My original problem is the front bulkhead is miss clocked. I will just take it off and drill new holes. Easier and faster than flying it back to the prop shop.

Mike, keep in mind that changing anything in that area, like drilling new holes, will likely change the vibration characteristics. if your prop is dynamically balanced already you maybe have to do it again.

Back