What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Io-540 Engine Cooling Baffle Pictures

Vans101

Well Known Member
Hi All,

For those that are running the IO-540 can you please upload some pictures? I want to see the valve cover to baffle connection and also the under cylinder baffle.

THANKS!!!

IO540 Baffles

Here is what I have - no under cylinder pics though, sorry.

HFS
HR II S/N 002

Attachments

• Rocket Baffles .jpg
    Rocket Baffles .jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Rocket Baffles w:Plenum.jpg
    Rocket Baffles w:Plenum.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Thanks HFS for the picture.

Is that the Vans cooling baffle kit?

Does Vans make one for the angle valve engine...or is there another vendor that does?

Anyone got one for sale???

Here's some detail. Van's sells the BAF-8-IO360 kit, which is intended for the angle valve 200HP IO-360. Just add some additional pieces when you order...

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 331
Baffles

Sorry, no - these are on my Rocket and are entirely scratch built. Just turned out to be easier that way.

YMMV - and probably will!

HFS

I ask about the baffle kit because I am working on a non-Vans project that has an angle valve IO-540 and at this point I do not know what the cowling will look like so I need the upper side walls to stick up higher (not already contoured to the vans cowling).

Does anyone have a contact at Vans to ask if they would sell me a BAF-8-IO360 kit (plus two additional cylinders) but without the top parts cut down and leave then sticking up about 4 inches all the way around and then I could cut them down to fit when I get the cowling figured out?

Last edited:
I ask about the baffle kit because I am working on a non-Vans project that has an angle valve IO-540 and at this point I do not know what the cowling will look like so I need the upper side walls to stick up higher (not already contoured to the vans cowling).

Does anyone have a contact at Vans to ask if they would sell me a BAF-8-IO360 kit (plus two additional cylinders) but without the top parts cut down and leave then sticking up about 4 inches all the way around and then I could cut them down to fit when I get the cowling figured out?

I think you should have started with this information. The Vans pieces come with some extra material. Also they once sold some plans for making your own. The Back sides are straight across, 90 deg to the crank,The back corners are 90 deg to the head surfaces - like the rocker gasket faces. I think you can get this sorted out but the interface with the inlets will be pure construction.

Also need to point out that the OP's airplane is a pusher (Velocity)

Probably still ahead of the game to buy a bunch of AV baffle bits from Van as a starting point, but there is going to be plenty of custom fabrication involved.

Last edited:
The Van’s 540 baffle kit will give you a huge head start. We fabricated the baffles when we built the IO-360 powered Cozy MKIV from the plans drawings. What a PITA that was. A fellow Cozy MKIV builder has crammed a Lycoming IO-540 in his build and at my suggestion used the Van’s 540 baffle kit. He’s not flying yet and I haven’t heard how the worked out for for him.

BillL and 9GT,

THANKS for the information.

Does anyone have a picture of the BAF-8-IO360 kit that has not been installed? I would be really grateful if someone can share a pic of the parts on a table side by side because the Vans online store just has a low resolution black and white drawing.

The IO-540 baffle kit from Vans is a parallel valve so I am considering the "BAF-8-IO360 kit plus two".

When you say the Vans kit has "extra material" do you mean that the top surface is not cut to the contour of the engine cowling top?

If they come "cut to fit" (meaning the tops are just straight across and all of the side baffles are the same height) then that would be ideal.

If they do come "mostly cut to fit" (meaning the tops are cut contoured close to the shape of the cowling and the builder has to trim them down a little) then it...do you think that this would work...I would buy:

-Three of the #3 cylinder baffles (because they are tallest on that side)
-Three of the #4 cylinder baffles (because they are tallest on the other side)
-The front baffle assembly that includes the two under cylinder baffles
-The rear baffle assembly that includes the two under cylinder baffles

I am really grateful for whatever help and pics you all can provide!!!

THANKS!!!

>The tops are left long so you can trim to your installation.

Kyle,

Do you by chance have any pictures you can share?

Also...all of the valve covers are the same so dos that mean that the BAF-8-IO360 kit comes with 4 identical upper side pieces or are the corners of the baffle made different to accommodate mounting to the front/rear baffles?

THANKS!!!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures that would help you, but there are plenty of build logs out there that should.

The aftmost pieces that fit around the valve covers have flanges to provide somewhere to attach the rear baffles. The others don't.

IO540 kit untrimmed

Attachments

• FDF2150F-B924-42A3-A9A4-1F14B7AE9221.jpg
    FDF2150F-B924-42A3-A9A4-1F14B7AE9221.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 7F15AA3A-FF2D-4A2F-A7F1-FB3B5DF6A13E.jpg
    7F15AA3A-FF2D-4A2F-A7F1-FB3B5DF6A13E.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Back