What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any GPS units out there that can play nice with a uavionix skysensor (ADSB-IN)

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I currently have a Garmin 396 in a 4.25x6.25 panel mount in my RV8.

I was looking at upgrading, and while I was at it getting something that would show traffic from my Uavionix Skysensor. https://uavionix.com/products/skysensor/

So far my research shows nothing from Garmin will work.

I currently have an AFS 4500 EFIS which I am not interested in replacing at this time. It's find something to fit in the existing panel dock, or just stick to the iPad.

Moe,

I might be missing something from your post, but the link you supplied for the skySensor indicates that it has a built-in GPS.

"...it also includes a dual-band ADS-B receiver, static pressure sensor, and internal GPS."

Is the reality that it doesn't play nicely with the AFS 4500?

Regards,
Rob

According to AFS, the 4500 cannot receive a WIFI signal from the sky sensor, it requires a serial connection the the ADSB receiver.

A possible workaround is to convert the WIFI signal to a serial RS232. It will require some custom circutry and programming, I have a friend working on it. He says at first glance it looks fairly simple.

If anyone knows of anything off the shelf, I'm all ears.

Ah, didn't realize that they did away with the serial port.

A couple of years ago Tim Olson and I built a GDL-90 filter box using an Arduino and RS232/422 chips.
It has many functions like taking in altitude and transponder inputs and multiplexing them for the uAvionix Echo, then filter the output based on a few different criteria. We even have some formation flight filters in it. I also have it set up to send aircraft models to my efis instead of N numbers.
Have your friend take a look at it. If you use an ESP32 chip (We use a PicoKIT in Onspeed and it works well) instead of the Teensy you can receive the GDL90 feed via Wifi and send it out through one of the serial ports.
You may want to implement the filtering too, since the ADSB receiver just dumps out all the traffic it sees and clutters up your screen. At least it used to be that way.

The project is well documented here:

https://www.myrv14.com/N14YT/The_Box/index.html

Probably a lot more than you bargained for :D, but figured that info could help your friend get a quicker start on a project like that.

Lenny

Ah, didn't realize that they did away with the serial port.

A couple of years ago Tim Olson and I built a GDL-90 filter box using an Arduino and RS232/422 chips.
It has many functions like taking in altitude and transponder inputs and multiplexing them for the uAvionix Echo, then filter the output based on a few different criteria. We even have some formation flight filters in it. I also have it set up to send aircraft models to my efis instead of N numbers.
Have your friend take a look at it. If you use an ESP32 chip (We use a PicoKIT in Onspeed and it works well) instead of the Teensy you can receive the GDL90 feed via Wifi and send it out through one of the serial ports.
You may want to implement the filtering too, since the ADSB receiver just dumps out all the traffic it sees and clutters up your screen. At least it used to be that way.

The project is well documented here:

https://www.myrv14.com/N14YT/The_Box/index.html

Probably a lot more than you bargained for :D, but figured that info could help your friend get a quicker start on a project like that.

Lenny

He mentioned an ESP32. All that **** is way over my head!

I don't have the echo, that would have solved all my problems. I bought the Sky Sensor https://uavionix.com/products/skysensor/

Download Ifly from Adventure Pilot onto your android or I phone. You can get the app free for a month. Although not IFR you will find that it is a Great GPS and Flight planner platform. They also sell a 740b which receives EFB wifi signal as well and can be panel mounted .

Back