What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Other uses for Garmin Smart Glide

larrynew

Well Known Member
Installed and tested the latest G3X software (8.91) with Smart Glide. Short flight but works as advertised.

What are some other uses of Smart Glide beside the intended engine out? My first thought was this will be a tremendous help to my non-flying wife to get close to an airport if she needs to finish the flight. At an Oshkosh presentation, a Garmin manager on the Autonomi program told me he has the same plan for using it to teach his non-flying wife.

During my short test flight, I was about 4000' AGL and pulled the power just enough to get a descent and activated Smart Glide over an airport. It spiraled down over the airport and was roughly set up for a downwind landing to the best wind runway. I took over about 1000'. Might be an emergency use for some version of inadvertent IMC or over an overcast with a VMC only pilot.

Last edited:
I think you touched base on the possibility of other uses..... Since Smart Glide will pitch for best glide speed, some training to our passengers to manage the throttle would get them to an airport and orbiting at a reasonable speed. With the commands to tune radios to 121.50 and CTAF, they could possibly have enough to call for help and possibly be talked down.

Back