What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to add serial line

rondawes

Well Known Member
I'd like to add a serial input line to my 430W. Is there a way to remove the connector from the backplate so it can drop down to where I can open it up and insert a pin?

When I remove the unit and look at the backplate from the front, I see a screw on each side of each connector. If I remove the screw on each side of the appropriate connector, will the connector come free from the backplate?

Ron,

Yes if you remove the two screws then you can remove the connector from the backing plate. Before you do that I would caution you that is probably the easy part. I haven't tried this, but it may be quite difficult to get it back together. It's all going to depend on how the harness was made. I attached a pic mine. You can see the little u shaped tapped retention clips which the screws you are seeing thread into. As soon as you remove the screws those are going to fall off. Then depending on how the harness is secured you will need to cut the ties to be able to get access to the connector shell to add the wire. Then you have to put it all back together.

Some people plan ahead when they build the harness and some extra outputs are built into the harness but coiled up behind the panel. You should check for this before removing the screws.

Good luck.

Attachments

• GNS430W Harness.jpg
    GNS430W Harness.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 230
+1. This is one of those parts, that you end up trying to put it back together wishing you had three hands.

Ray and Bob, thanks for your help. Yeah, I wish the builder had put in a few extra serial lines but he did not. I'll play panel-yoga and see how much harness play I have before I start taking things apart.

a
Already done the deed. Get some 6x32 all thread at a aero-hardware store to line up the connector with case.

A question

Ron

Do you have a screw missing on the middle connector or that just the way the photograph was taken

Rob

I think you were referring to my pic. I think all the screws are in place, but I pulled the harness out of a box to respond to the thread. Its going to be redone for a 650xi any way. After spending some time flying with the 650 I like it way more than the 430 so now is the time to make the change.

Back