What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildragger open canopy height

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm a long way from the point of putting my -14 on the gear and adding the canopy but I'm wondering about whether I'll be able to do that in my garage. My garage and basement have a low ceiling, about one foot lower than normal for newer homes. I also have a heavy beam that crosses near where my firewall is (fuse is currently on a rotisserie) but don't believe that will be a factor. I'm curious how high your taildragger's canopy opens.

I measured this height on an RV14 but I can’t remember the exact number nor do I have a picture. It was very close to 96”. It does require more height to install or remove the canopy.

I'm starting to think that I may leave the canopy as the last job before adding the engine mount and then the gear. I'll keep the fuse on the rotisserie as long as I can and then put it on a sheet of foam insulation on the floor for the canopy work. I can then remove the canopy until after the move to the hangar.

Not much help but I forgot about this request when I went out to the hangar tonight for heights for the POH data. With the canopy closed the tail is higher at 72" but if the propeller is at 6 and 12 the height is at 85" there.
I will try to remember to measure with the canopy open tomorrow.

I'm starting to think that I may leave the canopy as the last job before adding the engine mount and then the gear. I'll keep the fuse on the rotisserie as long as I can and then put it on a sheet of foam insulation on the floor for the canopy work. I can then remove the canopy until after the move to the hangar.

I did just the opposite. I finished the canopy with the fuse on the floor. This created a perfect working hight for fibreglass, sanding and riveting. Once finished I stored it safely until moving the fuse to the airport.

I also did as much panel work and wiring as I could. Makes climbing an and out a lot easier.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 102
I also did as much panel work and wiring as I could. Makes climbing an and out a lot easier.[/QUOTE)

I posted this a while back, but the best idea we had in the entire build was doing the panel and harness work with the fuselage on the rotisserie. Most was done with the fuselage completely upside down. Access and comfort was like a million times easier. We actually had the engine mount on when we noticed that we had missed something and put it back on the rotisserie.
Comments were made about having items mounted that way that later those items might not be accessible , well I can tell you that is not the case. The two items mounted deepest inside and at the worst spot had issues that the supplier thought we would have to send back so they had to be removed to do testing before returning (limited testing) . We had hired an avionics tech. and he noticed something in the G3X boxes that he thought was strange.
When our panel was shipped the two G3Xs were back ordered due to a shortage. You /we would think if there was a shortage that when the units would arrive they would have the latest software (or whatever they have, that's why my friend hired someone) but the note said it might have to be updated. So we reinstalled everything and he updated the units and all was well.So yes they can be accessed, arrrr.

I'm going out to the hangar and will open the canopy and get a measure.

Of course the canopy open hight required will be higher if the aircraft is in the flying position (tail up) which I found was required when doing much work inside the fuse.
I don't know the exact height required but it came within 6 - 8" to my 10' ceiling.

Last edited:
105 inches

Thanks, Ron. Exactly one foot more than my ceiling (93"). :rolleyes: That confirms that my plan will be to finish up everything I can inside the fuselage. I'll then take it off the rotisserie and put in on the floor to do the canopy. Once that's done, I'll remove the canopy and move on to the engine mount and the gear.

I'm a long way from the point of putting my -14 on the gear and adding the canopy but I'm wondering about whether I'll be able to do that in my garage. My garage and basement have a low ceiling, about one foot lower than normal for newer homes. I also have a heavy beam that crosses near where my firewall is (fuse is currently on a rotisserie) but don't believe that will be a factor. I'm curious how high your taildragger's canopy opens.

I had the same problem the garage ceiling is too low when the 14 is on its gear. I removed the canopy to do the gear work. My canopy is all done & painted etc so its staying in its storage frame hung from the ceiling until the airplane is ready for the paint shop.

I had the same problem the garage ceiling is too low when the 14 is on its gear. I removed the canopy to do the gear work. My canopy is all done & painted etc so its staying in its storage frame hung from the ceiling until the airplane is ready for the paint shop.

Thanks. This helps me confirm my plans.

Back