What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems with C Frame Dimpling Tool

osaleh

Hi everyone,

Please help. I am new to all this. i got my tools set from Browns and Avery's, my training project and Emppenage kit. I know it is silly but i am stuck at assembling the C Frame Dimpling tool from Avery. I included a link to the tool. Basically it comes with 2 long shafts. From the pictures, it looks like the shaft should go down the top hole and move up and down easily. this is not the case. It would not go in. I thought i will hammer it in and force and maybe loosen the hole, but now it is stuck. I cannot get it to come out now. Any ideas? I know i am doing something silly. Any help please?

http://www.averytools.com/p-12-hand-riveting-dimpling-tool.aspx

you should just drop it in through the brass bushings...call Avery maybe they can send you new bushings.

See if you can remove the lower set holder (silver rectangel piece) and pound the stuck set holder out from the bottom using a brass drift pin. Then either get a hold of Avery and explain your problem or if you have a reamer of the correct size, try to carefully ream the bushing. Be careful not to bang things up too much so as to not misalign the arbor.

Roberta

Last edited:
Dumb question maybe but did you put a dimple die in the rod before you tried to shove it through the brass bushing? if so then I would try to knock the die out from the bottom. Dies are cheaper than a new C-Frame.

re c frame issues

thanks for your input. It seems i was sent the wrong bushings. I had someone try it over the phone with me on the new one they will send. it slides right in. I spent a whole day wondering what i was doing wrong. What a waste. :mad:

Dumb question maybe but did you put a dimple die in the rod before you tried to shove it through the brass bushing? if so then I would try to knock the die out from the bottom. Dies are cheaper than a new C-Frame.

no, i did not get around to that. I just took the bushing and tried to fit it into the hole like the picture and then it would not go in. I forced it in with a hammer thinking it will loosen things up :D It just got stuck. The tool is from Avery but i received it from an RV tool package by Brown Tool. So maybe the screwed up. They are going to send me the new one.

Regarding the die, there is a metal bar on the base that i am supposed to loosen up and fit the Die in from the inside, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a knuckle dragger all my life, so understand the concept of "bigger hammer". But I have yet to need one while building my RV.

Base Plate

You should be able to just push the stem of the dimple die into the hole in the base plate, with the matching die inserted into the hollow end of the spring suspended verticle rod. No disassembly needed for installing dies.

Back