What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which mag to start up with

shiney

Well Known Member
Sometime ago I read a post about starting with just one mag turned on but I cannot find the thread.

I have one p-mag and one slick mag. Do I start with the p on only or the slick on only or with both on? I'm not ready for starting yet, just wiring but need to know for switch position.

Set up is IO-360 F.I. Hartzell C/S Prop

If the P-Mag is on the right, starting should use both (assuming that the left mag has the standard impulse gear.) This takes some rewiring of the standard starter key switch so the right doesn't ground out on "start." If the P-Mag is on the left, wire as if it were two Slicks. It is better to have the P-Mag on the right as all plugs are firing as you crank.

Bob Kelly

Definitely start with at LEAST the mag. The p-mag has retard for starting as well, so starting with both is an option.

also need to start with the impulse coupled mag so you get the mag to"coming in speed" otherwise you may not get a spark on slow starts. my superior eng has two impulse coupled mags.

I would assume that....

Why would you have a momentary mag switch?

...the middle ON position is "Lag. Live" and the MOM position is "Start".

IIRC Bob N. uses this option in some of his Z-diagrams. Saves a switch and allows the second mag to be "not live" while the starter is engages if you use a two-pole switch.

Back