What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems with my Garmin GMA 240 audio panel

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I was doing some pattern work in my RV-10 today, and I was hearing a noise like someone was keying their mic. I would sometimes hear this at night when someone was trying to light up the runway lights, but this was in broad daylight with only one other plane in the pattern. I finally deduced that I was the only one hearing this, and that's when I noticed all the lights on the GMA 240 panel would flash in unison when I heard this noise.

Obviously there's something screwy with the audio panel. I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it. Any ideas?

First thing I’d do is pull it out and re-seat it - might be a loose connection, or a little corrosion on a contact.

I was doing some pattern work in my RV-10 today, and I was hearing a noise like someone was keying their mic. I would sometimes hear this at night when someone was trying to light up the runway lights, but this was in broad daylight with only one other plane in the pattern. I finally deduced that I was the only one hearing this, and that's when I noticed all the lights on the GMA 240 panel would flash in unison when I heard this noise.

Obviously there's something screwy with the audio panel. I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Jack,

The flashing lights may mean that the power connection to the GMA 240 is unreliable, so check that the power connection to the circuit protection device is secure.

The GMA 240 is pretty bullet-proof, so probably something simple.

Steve

Jack, I've been experiencing something very similar with the same unit. I've been working for a few weeks to realize the source of the issue to no avail. It appears to be power-related but I've thoroughly investigated the positive power and the negative grounding pathways and not located anything suspicious. My problems started about 350 hours and is frustratingly intermittent and unable to be reproduced on the ground. I'm using a VP-X Pro and have changed connector blocks, squeezed pins slightly to assure solid connections to the VP-X, and even changed out the VP-X for a new one, again, to no avail. I'm out of ideas so please post your learnings here... Thanks!

Back