What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas radio station license?

sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
Can someone please tell me if I need this fcc radio license to fly my rv-6 to the Bahamas? Looks like it is $110 and everyone says you do not need it but the regs say you do. I plan to fly down the end of the month. Any other info would be of great help. Navigation of government websites has taken at least a year off my life so far.

Jason

To any of you that have flown to the Bahamas can you clarify if you actually needed to get a radio station license?
Aopa guide to flying and website all show you do need to get one. In the guide they also claim you need a special permit to fly an experimental in too.

Reading the Bahamas guide from 2013, they claim no special permission required, that you can simply print the "standard validation form" off the aopa websit and no further action is needed.

So.. I am confused. I have never needed a radio station lic in any Can or US flying. Do I need to get one for this trip or is that old info that is no longer relevant. I am not one for partaking in more paperwork, more lic, and more fees than really required.

Thanks. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

don't think so

I don't think so, was there just a few weeks ago. I didn't have one and no one asked either. I think they are more concerned with getting paid and the us adiz is all about filing correctly and having paperwork for customs.

Take care and have fun. banyan has a good guide on their website about flying in the Bahamas.

http://www.banyanair.com/bahamas_requirements.asp

Flying corporate Part 91 in to the Bahamas in a large jet does require an FCC radio license. But then again we need it in the US also. Since we have other communication on board beside com radio. It is my understanding if you fly outside of the US then a radio license is required. I got one since I am interested in going to Canada and the Bahamas. The other requirement is for 1 foot N numbers which I will tape on if necessary. Went to the FCC web site and obtained a FRN number, paid my 160 and 10 days later had my license.
Jack

Technically, you need a radio license when you fly to another country. I got one in my Bonanza, and flew into Canada a couple times and to the Bahamas a few times ----> nobody ever asked to see the license.

ty

thanks guys I'll get a hold of banyan and have them update their website and spread the word. I'm just amazed by the wealth of knowledge here.

Thats what I mean.

No simple answer. I have never had or been asked for one with dozens of trips to the US. Further, the only place I can get one is in Canada...and to have a Canadian one for a trip to the Bahamas seems unnecessary.

I will not bother if nobody has ever had to show one. Thanks.

Legal answer = YES, both you and the airplane require a Radio license from the country your airplane is registered in to fly international. This is to conform with ICAO and ITU regulations.

Go ahead and print out the blanket experimental authorization and carry it with you.

Many people here will tell you you don't need either since they have never been asked for one. But it only takes one "pissed off" foreign official to throw their law against you forcing you to go through a lot of grief and maybe impound your airplane. Kind of like insurance, we get it hoping never to have to use it.

:cool:

Last edited:
Legal answer = YES, both you and the airplane require a Radio license from the country your airplane is registered in to fly international. This is to conform with ICAO and ITU regulations.

Go ahead and print out the blanket experimental authorization and carry it with you.

Many people here will tell you you don't need either since they have never been asked for one. But it only takes one "pissed off" foreign official to throw their law against you forcing you to go through a lot of grief and maybe impound your airplane. Kind of like insurance, we get it hoping never to have to use it.

I agree with Galin. I am not sure why you would not get the required radiotelephone operators permit for yourself, and the radio station license for the airplane. They are easy and relatively inexpensive to get. Many trips to Canada, Mexico, and The Bahamas over the years and no one has ever asked, but if they do.................

Rick,
You can get your radio license at CYQS. The school can test you and issue one. It's quick and easy.

No test required to get operators license in the US and it is required along with station license to comply with ICOA. No one ask me for either on the couple of trips I have made to the Bahamas. If you contact them they will say they are required. The only reason not to get is the cost.....$175 for both about 5 years ago. I got them...would not get them if I did not have them.;)
Dave.....Swift Driver

Was in Bahamas back in september

passing through customs in Ft Pierce (coming back in), was not asked for a radio license but was told by a customs official who was out on the line walking to another aircraft that "taped on letters are no longer acceptable". He did not threaten, just informed me factually. I did not push to get a chapter verse clarification.

Anybody know if the rules or policy has changed??

Radio

Just to clarify the question, I do, as do most Canadian aircraft, have radio license for the pilot. No issue.
The concern was with the added requirement to ALSO have a "radio station license" for the aircraft.
Feedback from all seems to say yes in the fine print you should have it but nobody has ever had to so don't bother going to all the time and trouble.

Nuff said. Thanks.

passing through customs in Ft Pierce (coming back in), was not asked for a radio license but was told by a customs official who was out on the line walking to another aircraft that "taped on letters are no longer acceptable". He did not threaten, just informed me factually. I did not push to get a chapter verse clarification.

I had a Ft Pierce Customs guy act like taped N number was illegal several years ago.

No problem in Key West Florida or El Paso TX.

FAR 45.21(d) quite specifically allows registraion markings with a "readily removable material" if they are used to comply with the ADIZ marking size requirements of FAR 45.29(h). The current written regs trump some local guys opinion on what the requirements should be.

FAR 45.21(d) quite specifically allows registraion markings with a "readily removable material" if they are used to comply with the ADIZ marking size requirements of FAR 45.29(h). The current written regs trump some local guys opinion on what the requirements should be.

Perhaps they are objecting to thin tape, like this -

sm_airport10.jpg

Even if they are readily removable, they still have to meet the size and font requirements...:)

It may be ugly, but would not black tape on white in block font be OK? It certainly is readable - if butt ugly. (EDIT - read the reg and the tape should have been 2" thick...)

Last edited:
I had a Ft Pierce Customs guy act like taped N number was illegal several years ago.

No problem in Key West Florida or El Paso TX.

I agree with Ron and Gary Reed as our group heard the same thing from the Fort Pierce folks coming back from the Bahamas in 2011. The Customs Officer said he'd not accept what I call the 'bamboo' font next time.

This year (2013), weather forced our return trip (following our Antilles Adventure) to land and clear Customs at Ft. Laurderdale

Mike "Keys" Brewton had the 'Bamboo Font' and Customs said didn't say anything about his N number (though they did walk around with the geiger counter):

Bamboo_font_Keys.jpg

Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt's had black N numbers (not a lot of contrast - I would have used white):

Bamboo_font_Keys1.jpg

I bought my lettering online for about $55 delivered (FAA Approved as I believed what the Customs agent told us the last time):

Bamboo_font_Keys2.jpg

Knowing the Customs has the ability to levy fines, I did not want to 'test the waters' and would recommend to others not to use 'bamboo' font :) Rosie

Last edited:
I flew around the Bahamas Outer Islands last spring. Link. I had the Operators and Station License but was never asked for them. It burned me to have to pay the $160 for the station license but I did it for piece of mind.

As far as N-Numbers, I flew into Ft. Pierce and nothing was said. It doesn't get uglier than this! (referring to the N-Number -- LOL)

s5isud.jpg

Regarding the benefits of having the required radio operator and radio station licenses, it appears that these items are not routinely (if ever) asked for by Bahamas authorities when flying in and out. However, if an incident/accident involving your aircraft occurs and you are forced to more formally interact with authorities it might be a different story. In other words, under the precise circumstances where you least desire ANY collateral hassles or problems is when you may be most likely asked to produce all of the ?proper documentation? including radio licenses! Personally, it seems like cheap insurance to obtain/carry what?s required.

The only aircraft tail number requirements are from the FAA not US Customs. Basically: contrasting color with width proportional to height for the number/letter and 12" in height if operating at anytime within the ADIZ.

FAA AC 45-2D

Knowing the Customs has the ability to levy fines, I did not want to 'test the waters' and would recommend to others not to use 'bamboo' font :) Rosie

Customs can not levy a fine for an FAA violation no matter how hard they want to. BUT they can detain you until an FAA investigator arrives or document (photo) your "violation" and send it to the FAA for administrative action. Either way you will be talking to someone who can make your flying hobby a lot harder.

Bottom line, tape is perfectly OK, as long as it complies with the FAA size, color, and font requirements.

From Rosie: Thanks so much for the clarification! Those Customs guys sure knew how to scare me into thinking the way I did...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back