What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

can you fit an rv project in a u-haul... yes you can!

[email protected]

Well Known Member
picture5k.png

the two of us managed to move everything without any help but we were right at the ragged edge of what we could do. i am very glad to have it all behind us!

into the hangar!
picture1fqi.png

Nice!

FYI, a 24 ft U-Haul truck is actually one of the standard methods for bringing a QB kit home from Van's. I picked up mine that way. The shipping crew at Van's has it down to a science. They can tell you exactly how many furniture pads to bring, and how much rope. From when I arrived at Van's with the U-Haul, they had it all loaded up in less than an hour, everything padded and tied down securely. Very impressive! The kit survived the bumpy 1,100 mile journey down to San Diego without a scratch.

moving and securing the fuselage and wings was pretty straight forward... adding in a completed empennage was a bit challenging... keeping the air compressor, drd2, tool chest, bench vice, grinder, sander, drill press, 4 big work benches, 3 small benches, desk, stacks of wood, along with all of the accumulated mass of stuff that makes up an 'airplane factory' from kissing or crumpling all of the precious cargo for our 80 mile trek was... interesting. our load just fit in a 26 foot truck... i do not want to do it again.

I did that four years ago

I fit my 9A in a 26' U-haul too. My builder insurance would not cover it if it is transported by others. I put work benches in first and kept them on the side. Compressor was tied to the work bench. Wings with flap and aileron on were hung on either side of the walls. Fuselage on gear went in backward. Main gear had to go in side ways since the door opening is just slightly narrower than the main gear width. Finally, horizontal stabilizer in the cradle slided in under the fuselage. My car was on a trailer towed behind the truck. It was an adventure backing the truck with the trailer. The five hour drive on the freeway was easy. The final 5 miles driving through winding mountain road to the airport was not fun. However, my cargo arrived at my new hangar safely.

Pictures:
http://3limafoxtrot.com/movingtoportsmouth.htm

Last edited:
the fellow that bought my rv7a (or should i say his) put it in a u-haul with the gear on!! it was a couple of inches wider than the opening but the gear (whittman type)will spring inward with some persuasion. the inside is wider than the opening BTW.
He was a can-do kind of guy. dont tell him no.;)

Back