What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight! RV-8A N678PR

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
Well, it's a project no longer. :D Airworthiness was Friday the 19th, First flight was .6 hours on Saturday the 20th. No real squawks. Put another 1.1 on the clock today.

I would try and elaborate about how great it was, but there's no way to put it into words. I'll post more info and link a video later....

440899077_5NmsZ-L.jpg

440899086_Wri87-L.jpg

440899135_ybZus-L.jpg

440899160_tkQWd-L.jpg

440899173_uiDQB-XL.jpg

440899179_jufzm-L.jpg

Cheerio,

Way to go!

Guy,
I am honored to be the first VAF poster to congratulate you. Your posts and site have been extremely helpful to me and your first flight adds fuel to the inspiration fire. You have a well built and beautiful ship. I look forward to more posts about your phase 1 adventures.
God's speed,

Huge congrats to ya Guy. The plane looks great. i hope to join you at some point in the near future.

Awesome Guy

Way to go!

The smile says it all.

Wish I was in town to congratulate you in person.

Way to go Guy,
My jaws are hurting from smiling so much (1st flight Sep. 19). Your's will be hurting to. The 8 is one fine aircraft. Good luck with phase 1.

Guy, Congratulations very nice 8A love the paint. They?re no word to describe the feeling of that first flight.

Squeak
Jasper, IN
RV7A Flying 60 Hours
Needs Paint
0-360-A1A Catto Three Blade

RE: Way to go!!!!!

Guy

Way to go.......Congrats on the 1st flight!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Painting when the weather gives me a break!!!!:eek:

Great video, Guy!

Awesome awesome awesome. You looked semi-pleased as you taxied by :p.

Great work!
b,
d

Congrats...........

One day, ................one day I'll be like you. Way to go! Now go see America.

Good job

Way to go. Plane looks great to boot! Wishing you clear skys and a lot of time to fly!

looks good

congrats guy!!!!!!! thats some smile... my wife said I looked like that when I got my RV8 emp kit can't wait to feel that feeling you just had....
good job it looks nice.

WAAAAAHHHOOOO!!!!!

Man-o-man that is sooo cool dude!!This is a first for me 'cause I got to help hang those wings on the wall to make room for the incoming fuse and now those wings are catching air.And to think my own wings are hanging on your old jigs.I know that is good joo-joo.What a beautiful job youv'e done man,that plane is gorgeuos up on trike gear.Did you paint it in the garage?And did you take a class for that sweet fiberglass or teach yourself?Very inspiring Guy,cant wait to be flying with you man.Congratulations!!!

Last edited:
re: great

Great video. I really like it when I can hear the radio transmissions and the engine.:) Much better than the music some put on. Just can't beat the engine music.:D
Posts like this provide all the motivation to keep going.
I'd like to have my RV10 flying in acouple of years.;)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/panel

Great!

Very inspirational. I love the way the "Holy S***" comes out with a choked-up crackle. Gave me goose-bumps!

Forrest

Congrats!

Guy,
I was watching your video and about half way through did a double take. I thought I saw my son Steve in one of your pictures - and I was right :eek:
Then I saw some outside shots, and of course Double Eagle airport.
Great video, great looking plane, great first flight! Heck of a Christmas present :cool:

Guy,

Congratulations to you and Merideth. That is a distinctive looking and attractive airplane. If I recall it is Merideth's design?

It looks like you were having fun!

Good Job!

Great job Guy!

I was lucky enough to get to see your plane close up a couple of weeks ago
after a flight lesson.

The pictures do not do it justice. Really nice workmanship.

Good luck in your Phase 1.

Dave
finishing up -9A fuselage
still working on PPL (32.6 hrs, two solos)

Awww Shucks

I'm thrilled that folks find the video inspirational. Just keep poundin' those rivets. One day you'll run out of tasks. The Sunday afternoon prior to first flight, that happened to me. My eyes welled with tears as I drove home from the airport at 1:30PM on a perfectly good day to be working on the plane.

To answer some questions: Yup, painted it in my garage. My garage is the one with the technicolor door.... The paint design was a cooperative effort, but Mer certainly gets most of the credit. I'm self taught on the fiberglass, but I was a furniture maker for years before becoming an engineer. Wood and fiberglass are similar to work with. Wood just smells better.

Daver, sorry I wasn't more fun when you were in the hangar. Getting the nuts on those wing bolts of a nosedragger is a cast iron, um, skillet ;).

Dennis--Steve and Michelle helped hang the engine, and Steve let me log my first RV time in his bird. I sure do miss them, and wish I had gotten to know them better before they moved.

Back