What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step broke off

The weld

The picture of the step weld doesn’t show any ripples in weld seam this may indicate grinding of weld . This will weaken the weld possibly leading to weld failure. The steps I received had visible weld ripples. Thank you Pat Cullen

Call Vans

It's not entirely clear to me reading through this thread;

Is the step Van's now produces for the RV-10 gusseted or otherwise strengthened vs. the step Van's supplied earlier?

Or has there been no redesign/strengthening?

You had better call Vans about your specifics. The only thing people are reading is "step" and not which bird it is for. I know there are a few failures at the lower weld on the 10 and Vans is evaluating a fix for it. It is not a weld issue and the tubes crack 90 deg to the weld due to tube cross section shape deformation under stepping loads.

You had better call Vans about your specifics. The only thing people are reading is "step" and not which bird it is for. I know there are a few failures at the lower weld on the 10 and Vans is evaluating a fix for it. It is not a weld issue and the tubes crack 90 deg to the weld due to tube cross section shape deformation under stepping loads.
I assumed given this thread is in the RV-10 subforum, it would go without saying the topic relates the step for the RV-10.

But I'll ask the reps at the Van's booth at Sun 'n Fun for clarification. Thanks.

So today after 11 years of flying my RV6A the passenger side step broke off. ( I did not mount one on the pilot side.) I’d been aware of possible failure based on VAF past posts. Mine cracked on the inside beneath the weld not the weld and parallel to the weld. Does anyone know if this Might this be TIG welded in place?

Repairing cracked step

Does anyone know if this Might this be TIG welded in place?

I don't think it can be TIG welded in place. There was another thread that discussed this, just do a search for WD-657 and it should come up.

While doing the repair, it would be worth adding the reinforcing gusset if there isn't already one fitted. The part number is WD-657Z from Vans, $2.70.

RV-6-7-9 step Solution - NOT 10!

So today after 11 years of flying my RV6A the passenger side step broke off. ( I did not mount one on the pilot side.) I’d been aware of possible failure based on VAF past posts. Mine cracked on the inside beneath the weld not the weld and parallel to the weld. Does anyone know if this Might this be TIG welded in place?

That should not be attempted - further, it would not be a permanent fix.

Contact or look up Russ McCutcheon on VAF - he operates the welding facility for these steps and has a rework for failed 6-7-9 steps that will permanently fix the issue. This was an unnecessarily long standing issue (years) and kudos to Russ for presenting the solution to Van (The Man).

Vans Aircraft has evolved and I hope that Rian would have an issue like this solved straight away, yet to my knowledge, the 10 lower joint failure remains w/o a factory solution available to the field.

Here it is:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=134249

Last edited:
Broke steps

Steps have been breaking for decades. Didn’t put them on my -9 for that very reason. Yes I’m a certified aircraft welder. Those failures look like a combination of inadequate stress relief after the welding process and excessive repeated stress by occupant- (diet time?). I know the truth can be a bit painful but hey, every failure like this is an opportunity to improve. The design is a compromise in balance as while a set of titanium ones would be great, the belly aching over cost would be relentless. So, here we are.
If you haven’t installed a welded part and it has a history of cracking, stress relieve it. You are the builder and it’s your call. Ignorance isn’t a defense. If you have a step installed, keep a watch on it so that you don’t get injured when it fails. Yes it can be repaired on the plane and I have done this but it’s not advised because of the risk of burning down your beautiful creation and the difficulty of getting a good weld and also getting adequate back gas. Back gas isn’t a bean burrito.
Seriously, the steps are a good design now but just need to raise awareness that they don’t last forever.

I assumed given this thread is in the RV-10 subforum, it would go without saying the topic relates the step for the RV-10.

But I'll ask the reps at the Van's booth at Sun 'n Fun for clarification. Thanks.
I guess I forgot to update this thread; I spoke with one of the folks at the Van's booth at Sun n' Fun and asked whether the RV-10 step design has been updated with a reinforcement gusset. I don't recall the name of the gentleman I was speaking with but his initial response was that yes, the RV-10 step has been modified with a gusset.

We walked over to the RV-10 that was on display and looked at the steps. The Van's rep couldn't identify the gusset on the step and at that point, he kind of waffled as to whether the steps that are produced today are any different than the steps that were originally shipped with the kit in the early 2000's. He said he thought they'd been updated but he couldn't point out what had been changed.

In short, I walked away with no clear answer.

The biggest reason not to repair in place, assuming everything goes off without a hitch all the paint between the aircraft and the step will be cooked with no way to repaint it. if you want you can call, text, email, or FB message me and we can talk about sending it to me for repair and reinforcement.

That should not be attempted - further, it would not be a permanent fix.

Contact or look up Russ McCutcheon on VAF - he operates the welding facility for these steps and has a rework for failed 6-7-9 steps that will permanently fix the issue. This was an unnecessarily long standing issue (years) and kudos to Russ for presenting the solution to Van (The Man).

Vans Aircraft has evolved and I hope that Rian would have an issue like this solved straight away, yet to my knowledge, the 10 lower joint failure remains w/o a factory solution available to the field.

Here it is:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=134249

Thanks Bill:)

Steps have been breaking for decades. Didn’t put them on my -9 for that very reason. Yes I’m a certified aircraft welder. Those failures look like a combination of inadequate stress relief after the welding process and excessive repeated stress by occupant- (diet time?). I know the truth can be a bit painful but hey, every failure like this is an opportunity to improve. The design is a compromise in balance as while a set of titanium ones would be great, the belly aching over cost would be relentless. So, here we are.
If you haven’t installed a welded part and it has a history of cracking, stress relieve it. You are the builder and it’s your call. Ignorance isn’t a defense. If you have a step installed, keep a watch on it so that you don’t get injured when it fails. Yes it can be repaired on the plane and I have done this but it’s not advised because of the risk of burning down your beautiful creation and the difficulty of getting a good weld and also getting adequate back gas. Back gas isn’t a bean burrito.
Seriously, the steps are a good design now but just need to raise awareness that they don’t last forever.

FYI, the RV-6-7-9 steps have been updated, so far no reports of failures, several years now.

Thoughts

I suspected the reinforcing would be more advantageous over time especially for the repeated use of the over 170lb folks. When I was considering using the steps, I thought about not only heat treating but also some cycles with cryo treatments. Now that my bones ad joints ache every time me and the Ms step up on and off that wing, I’m having second thoughts about leaving them off. Age may force me to move to a more friendly egress plane like a high wing type but I may be in the ground before Vans decides to offer one. Nevertheless, thanks Russ for all that you do and I know that you guys are the best when it comes to welding stuff and redesigning things for the expected loads.

FYI, the RV-6-7-9 steps have been updated, so far no reports of failures, several years now.

The biggest reason not to repair in place, assuming everything goes off without a hitch all the paint between the aircraft and the step will be cooked with no way to repaint it. ....

And the heat-treatment of the aluminum will be destroyed, too. A slightly bigger reason.

Dave

My right step on my RV10 broke at 280 hours. I had put some flush inspection covers above where the bolt is so it was possible to install a new step, but a PIA to do so. I ordered 2 new steps. I drilled them and installed another set of spacers inside and got them painted. I figured that the same guy welded both steps. There was no penetration of the base metal. There is about a 1/8 piece of flat metal between the 2 tubes. It failed between the flat piece and the round tube that goes into the fuse. The weld was less than 1/64 inch thick there. I hole the set I just put on are better.

My right step on my RV10 broke at 280 hours. I had put some flush inspection covers above where the bolt is so it was possible to install a new step, but a PIA to do so. I ordered 2 new steps. I drilled them and installed another set of spacers inside and got them painted. I figured that the same guy welded both steps. There was no penetration of the base metal. There is about a 1/8 piece of flat metal between the 2 tubes. It failed between the flat piece and the round tube that goes into the fuse. The weld was less than 1/64 inch thick there. I hole the set I just put on are better.

What year was your original kit?

-Marc

If you haven’t installed a welded part and it has a history of cracking, stress relieve it. You are the builder and it’s your call.

So, as a kit buyer and assembler, the assertion that the assembler should be stress relieving welds is a bit over the top, isn't it?

Aluminum stress relieves at temperatures of 650F for one hour.

Carbon steel stress relieves at temperatures of 930-1200°F for approx one hour.

Stainless steel stress relieves at temperatures of 900-1700°F for approx one hour.

The cooking time depends on thickness, and is cited for a 1" thick weldment.

Stress relief most often requires a “still-air cool” so as not to reintroduce stress into a material, but what does this really mean? A still-air cool (quench) can be defined as cooling at a rate of 40°F (22°C) per minute or faster to 1100°F (593°C) and then at a rate of 15-25°F (8-14°C) per minute from 1100-300°F (593-150°C). Below 300°F (150°C) any cooling rate may be used.

Sure, claim it's the assemblers responsibility, yet when purchasing a step as a completed piece, that's a stretch.

Something like this?

Attachments

• AF39B48E-BEF2-4B9B-B776-A843EDF356F4.jpg
    AF39B48E-BEF2-4B9B-B776-A843EDF356F4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 95
Back