What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

unique MODEL and SERIAL NUMBER?

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
I came across a thread and now can't find it again.

It related to Model and Serial Number on the registration application > that a builder can choose whatever they want to say they are.

That it is not required to list and RV kit as an RVxxx and with the kit's serial number.

What was the thread title?

I've seen several threads like that before, but the basic idea is correct. You are building an airplane - Vans supplies the kit but you are the manufacturer. You can call it "Scoobies Mystery Machine" if you want. Most don't, some do.

Reg Branch weigh-in

I did get through on a call to the FAA Reg Branch today and was told that it is acceptable to name a kit built aircraft, model and serial number anything that you want. For a kit built E-AB the FAA uses the BOS to connect some dots related to the identification of the aircraft model.

Those info fill-in's do not need to match the kit manufacturer's BOS information for model and ser#. And, the BOS sent in for the registration doesn't have to be the original inked signature form, it can be a photo copy of it; this true for Experimental aircraft registration, not for certified aircraft. If you have the inked signature original BOS that's good too.

Last edited:
But

You may also want to check with the insurance company; while they may have no issues insuring a Vans RV-10, they may have an issue insuring Scoobys Mystery Machine, serial number 1...

You may also want to check with the insurance company; while they may have no issues insuring a Vans RV-10, they may have an issue insuring Scoobys Mystery Machine, serial number 1...

I know that insurance has had some changes recently, but in 1993, I registered my RV-6 as an A&M-6 and the insurance company gave me the same rates and coverage as if I had registered as RV-6.
Just for information, my reasoning was that it was Ann & Mel's 6th airplane. Of course that and the Maroon & White color scheme was also indicative of my college days.

I know that insurance has had some changes recently, but in 1993, I registered my RV-6 as an A&M-6 and the insurance company gave me the same rates and coverage as if I had registered as RV-6.
Just for information, my reasoning was that it was Ann & Mel's 6th airplane. Of course that and the Maroon & White color scheme was also indicative of my college days.

Mine is a CP6A, serial number 01. However, the registration data also shows the kit info:

Kit Manufacturer VANS AIRCRAFT INC Kit Model RV-6A

Back