What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement Dynon EGT probe source

prkaye

Well Known Member
Can anyone recommend a good (economical) source for high-quality replacement EGT probes for my Dynon?

$36 USD straight from Dynon is not economical? Or not high enough quality? Not creating waves, just wondering? I've already replaced one in 75 hours, but consider that just part of the cost of owning and operating... If there are better probes out there, let me know too.

There have been a few reliability issues reported on the forum regarding the Dynon probes. You could try KS Avionics http://www.ksavionics.com/. Their probes are twice as much as the Dynons, though. KS makes their own probes and also for at least one major EFIS/EMS manufacturer. Alcor probes are also good. KS is a very small company and when you call 'em you are talking to someone who knows their stuff.

EI probes

After all my Dynon probes had failed after about 200 hours I replaced them with EI ones. Yes they are about twice the price but if they last the life of the engine as they suggest, they will be cheaper in the long run.
EI made them a custom length and were very helpful.

http://www.buy-ei.com/

Cheers Peter

So all these probes are compatible with the Dynon? They all talk a common language?

It's unclear to me what the correct part number is for the Dynon probe from Spruce. They have this big table... is this the one I want:
EGT, 1-2.25" Hose Clamp PN 10-01169 $38.50 ?

What does the 1-2.25" refer to? The diameter of the exhaust pipe?

Last edited:
Ok thanks. The part I posted was from the Aircraft Spruce Canada site - $38.50 in Canadian Dollars.

In the big table on the Spruce site they have columns for various engine configurations. They have L4C which I assume is Lyc 4-Cyl. but they also have L4F. What is that?

I'm tempted to go one more round of Dynon probes, since the more expensive ones seem to be over 90 bucks each (and I also have to pony up for a new oil cooler, and possibly the wheel bearing mod). After my next set of Dynon probes fail, I may consider upgrading.

Last edited:
In the big table on the Spruce site they have columns for various engine configurations. They have L4C which I assume is Lyc 4-Cyl. but they also have L4F. What is that?

L4C - Lycoming 4-cylinder Carburated
L4F - Lycoming 4-cylinder Fuel-Injected

30 hours in on the Dynon probes one died

I replaced all four with KS probes after one of my new ( but five year old) 30 hours in service Dynon-supplied EGT probes died. KS parts were just noticeably better finished.

You can buy cheap probes, or you can buy expensive probes, it just comes down to how often you want to replace them. When you divide price by the time in service, the resulting number is pretty constant. I bought the cheap ones to start with, they started failing after about two years. Replaced with the expensive ones, and they're still going, 6 years later.

I have dynon probes and have replaced only one just last year. It had 8 years and about 500 hours on it. That one was giving bad readings and when I pulled it out, it was about half gone/deteriorated. I decided to check out the others so pulled them all. The other three were fine.

Last edited:
You can buy cheap probes, or you can buy expensive probes, it just comes down to how often you want to replace them. When you divide price by the time in service, the resulting number is pretty constant. I bought the cheap ones to start with, they started failing after about two years. Replaced with the expensive ones, and they're still going, 6 years later.
I have exactly the same experience with tires, so I buy the more expensive ones so I don’t have to change them as often.😉

They are Thermocouples , not sure which "type" the Dynon uses however it is important to replace with the same type. ie Type J, K or whatever. The color of the wires are the type designation. I know EI uses primarily Type K TCs. That wire color is Red and yellow. And it is important to get the polarity correct in reinstalling. ie red to red and yellow to yellow.

Back