What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Mounting 9A

mmckissock

I'm New Here
Just bought a 1.4 lb Halotron fire extinguisher for my newly acquired 9A. Does anyone have any ideas about mounting the extinguisher?

I mounted mine this way on the fuel pump dog house.
IMG_5097-M.jpg

In hindsight, I should have put it somewhere else. My leg will hit the handle of the extinguisher and it can be painful. It also is just a bit hard to reach the clasp.

A couple planes I mounted on the floor under the arm rest.
Others I mounted them between the seats on the flap bracket.
One I mounted behind the pax seat under the side window, didn't like that.

Mine is between the seats, handle forward.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 245
I have a "map box" in the panel on the pax side. Extinguisher is mounted underneath that box, parallel to the wings. Haven't had an issue with anyone knee-banging it so far (12 years) but a really long-legged passenger might have some interference.

I mounted mine on the rear of the bagage compartment, up high. Easy to reach with my right hand. Tunnel area could not work due to a throttle quadrant. No fires yet so no real testing.

another option

I mounted mine just left of the fuel pump / tunnel, on the floor, running fore/aft. Basically under my right leg. I have to be a bit careful on entry, but better me than my pax.

From prior automotive experience --- make sure that da** thing can't come lose in an incident!

Mine's on the back side of the seat crossbar, behind the right seat. Gets in the way a little bit when loading stuff in the cargo area, but I like the location for the most part.

I pondered this question for a long time 5 years ago! I wanted a convenient place for my extinguisher yet not mess up the nice clean appearance of my cockpit. Also, I needed it somewhere forward as I am a little tail heavy. I wound up mounting it on my throttle/mixture sub panel bracket. It is out of sight but I can reach down and unclip it and retrieve it without looking at it. But I do have to loosen my shoulder harness to reach it.

Attachments

• panel 2.jpg
    panel 2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 258
  • panel 1.jpg
    panel 1.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 290
Under your legs

I have one mounted on the front fuel line cover right under your legs. Perfect spot. Super accessible and out of the way. I mounted one on each side.

The DAR loved the idea there were two and they were very accessible. I'm not sure if I have a picture and the plane is in paint.

The DAR mentioned that if there was a problem like a crash, you may not be able to reach behind you. This way two are in immediate reach.

In Our RV-6

Had a little one on the flap motor cover at the occupants’ elbows for a few years. It kept getting kicked and stepped on during ingress and egress, especially by Young Eagles. The mounting strap got released sometimes and then the top got knocked off. I got a little bigger bottle and mounted it just above the floor, forward of the engine control and fuel selector console, offset to the right just a little to clear an antenna. It’s just a bit hard to reach and in fact, not reachable with the shoulder harnesses tight. I can loosen the harness and jjuusstt reach it. And it’s completely out of the way when stowed. A reasonable compromise, I think. I hope! Realistically, I don’t see an ideal answer in that tiny, busy cockpit.

I pondered this question for a long time 5 years ago! I wanted a convenient place for my extinguisher yet not mess up the nice clean appearance of my cockpit. Also, I needed it somewhere forward as I am a little tail heavy. I wound up mounting it on my throttle/mixture sub panel bracket. It is out of sight but I can reach down and unclip it and retrieve it without looking at it. But I do have to loosen my shoulder harness to reach it.

Mike,
You might have broken the code for me. I LOVE that approach. Does it impinge upon your or your copilot's legroom, particularly when trying to pull legs back out of the way of rudder pedals?

Also, if you have to lay headfirst down there for maintenance, does it get in the way? I suppose you have to unstrap and remove the bottle.

Mike,
You might have broken the code for me. I LOVE that approach. Does it impinge upon your or your copilot's legroom, particularly when trying to pull legs back out of the way of rudder pedals?

Also, if you have to lay headfirst down there for maintenance, does it get in the way? I suppose you have to unstrap and remove the bottle.

I have never taken it off to work on anything yet and my heads down there every month or so. You flew with me in Pine Bluff, did you even know it was there? I've had two Biennials in this plane and my 6'3 CFI never knew it was there. It is the small Halon 1.25 lb model though.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/a344t.php

Be like Mike

I copied Mike's approach of putting it under the center of the panel. I was even able to use the same screws that hold Adel clamps securing the engine control cables. I've been upside down under there working many times and only had to remove the extinguisher when I needed to replace one of the engine control cables. I, too, need to keep the weight forward as much as I can.

Mike,
No I didn't know it was there. I'll report on how mine works out. I remember the flight: Dang!

I copied Mike's approach of putting it under the center of the panel. I was even able to use the same screws that hold Adel clamps securing the engine control cables. I've been upside down under there working many times and only had to remove the extinguisher when I needed to replace one of the engine control cables. I, too, need to keep the weight forward as much as I can.

Thoughts on this location-
Where is it most likely to be an electrical fire?
Where is it most likely for an in cockpit fuel fed fire to be?
In both scenarios the fire extinguisher would be right in the center of it.

Just a muse...

no horse in this race as I have a 10 not a 9; different animal for sure when it comes to interior layout.

I was imagining someone using the extinguisher bottle as an improvised canopy breaker for egress. Has anyone thought of affixing a clamp-on axe blade appendage to the bottom of the Halon bottle to make it a better battering ram?

Weight and space wise it might be a two-for-one.

I can hear a member here firing up a 3-D printer right now ;)

I recently was involved with a horrible aircraft crash/fire where lives were lost and we did not have enough of anything to put the fire out in time to make any difference. All of my extinguishers in airplanes and not have been replaced with a minimum of 10-BC sized extinguishers.

Back