What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plenum/resin?

Pman

I?m contemplating making a carbon fiber/fiberglass engine plenum.

Trying to determine a suitable epoxy/bonding agent that can be used in the engine compartment for the plenum?

I was considering EZ-Poxy 10A Resin & 83B Hardener, however, their tech data sheet indicates a tg of 196*F...., for the application it seems too low of a temp(?)

Any suggestions of suitable product would be appreciated.

I would like to hear from those who have successfully built their plenum.

Thanks,
Mike

Check out the specs on vinyl ester resign.

I seem to remember it having a higher temp rating.

Fiberglast

Check our Fiberglast. They have a hi temp epoxy. I used it with their product called Soric as structure. (sort of like a honeycomb material). Used both Carbon and glass.

I uesed Aeropoxy for my Plenum, several hundred hours and no issues. It will soften when hot, don?t screw the plenum screw down when it is hot as you?ll start to suck the nutplates into the core material. Other than that no issues.

Tg

I?m contemplating making a carbon fiber/fiberglass engine plenum.

Trying to determine a suitable epoxy/bonding agent that can be used in the engine compartment for the plenum?

I was considering EZ-Poxy 10A Resin & 83B Hardener, however, their tech data sheet indicates a tg of 196*F...., for the application it seems too low of a temp(?)

Any suggestions of suitable product would be appreciated.

I would like to hear from those who have successfully built their plenum.

Thanks,
Mike

I would recommend MGS 285. It has a high Tg of 108 degrees Celsius and a low viscosity for high fiber to resin ratio. Wets Carbon fabric very well. I usually lay the fabric and pour the resin on top and spread with a playing card. Only down side: it requires heat treatment at 60 C for full structural strength. No big deal if you skip heat treatment procedure imho. It will gain full strength in the first engine run. MGS is approved by German Aerospace authorities as a structural epoxy for use in composite aircraft. Aircraft Spruce sells it.

WEST System aerospace

WEST makes an aerospace product that they don’t really advertise but if you post cure the plenum after the initial cure in an oven at about 400f degrees For a day or two, it will take any temps we can produce under our cowl. I have a gallon left over from when I made mine, only took about a cup when I vacuum bagged the layup. Would be more than willing to give it to anyone who wants to come to 8D4 as I don’t want to ship it. I can also look up the technical data sheets and post a scan if there is any interest.

All the numbers above are based on my memory and need to be verified with the technical data sheets.

Back