What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-1021-L/R Flap Gap Fairings

Blizzard

Quick Build wings arrived with the W-1004-L BOTTOM INBD WING SKIN already riveted on. Anyone have tips or suggestions on how to buck the rivets behind the Rear spar assembly when attaching the inboard section of the flap gap fairing? The plans look like the fairings are attached prior to riveting the bottom inboard skin on. Now I don't have access to the back side of the rear assembly in that area. Are Blind rivets acceptable for that short run of rivets? It's a nonstructural fairing.

Thanks

I used structural pull rivets

Hello,

I used structural pull rivets and they were easy. On a friends build, we did buck them but it takes 2 people and the results may be less than ideal.

I will look for the rivets I used.

Thanks. I appreciate that. The lightening holes are so small at that portion of the wing I see no way of getting an arm in there to use the rivets that are called for.

Thanks. I appreciate that. The lightening holes are so small at that portion of the wing I see no way of getting an arm in there to use the rivets that are called for.

Your arm goes in the larger, more fwd holes and reach to the rivets. You need to use your fingers to see though. I bucked those myself, so it is doable single handed. Just not easy. I doubt that MK319's are an issue in this location.

Last edited:
Flap Gap Fairings Pull Rivets

I used two different types.

For the flush rivets on inboard edge, I did use the CR3212-4-6

For the round head-universal rivets that were tough to buck solo, I used CR3213PR-4-03 (grip .063 to .125) or CR4213PR4-02. (grip .126-.187). Not sure what length I used. I bought a Cherry Rivet gauge and used it.

I bough 100 of each from Sky Geek. 0.40 each. They will come in handy throughout the build.

Enjoy.

Back