What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caution, jet blast!

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The good news is that the RV-9A was never in any danger because when I saw what was going on, I left it in the hangar. But?

As I was adding oil and generally getting the plane ready to go to another airport to top off the tanks before tomorrow?s X-C, I heard an unfamiliar, loud jet noise that did not subside, as such noise would on takeoff. I walked down to the end of the hangar row and maybe a hundred yards away, saw a bizjet with a maintenance truck next to it. Immediately before me, a Cessna 340 was rocking in its tiedowns. The tail tiedown was not tight (don?t recall the others) and the rope was at a 45 degree or flatter angle to the ground. The rudder was fully deflected to the left, bouncing off the stop, and the trim tab was also fully deflected to the left. The rudder skin appeared wrinkled. I walked farther out away from the end of the hangar but did not go beyond a point at which I had to decidedly lean into the jet blast, and I would estimate that to be at least 50 MPH.

I did not observe any rotating beacon on the Phenom jet. Later, from the side, I observed the beacon atop the vertical fin. I never did observe the belly beacon, for whatever reason.

I was immediately aware that if I had tried to taxi through that jet blast, exiting the hangar row, my plane might well have tipped up onto a wingtip or beyond. It later occurred to me that I almost certainly would have lost directional control with that much crosswind.

I walked up in front of the jet and got the attention of the left seater, but gestures were inadequate to get him to change anything.

I flagged down the airport police, but they said that the ramp was beyond their control and to talk to the FBO. I had just talked to the FBO who told me that they had approved the ramp for the runup as there were no planes behind. They were oblivious to planes that might be taxiing to and from their hangars and oblivious to how far behind the plane the jet blast extended. The manager on duty got defensive and gave me the runaround.

Then it occurred to me to call the tower. The ramp is, technically speaking, not a movement area and not under their control, but they were glad to have the information to pass on to other planes. I wound up calling them a half dozen times as the jet's engine repeatedly shut down and restarted.

Later, I observed that the skin on the left side of the twin Cessna?s rudder was wrinkled and had two distinct tears in it. I mentioned this to the FBO, and the counter gal said that if I?d noticed it, the pilot would surely notice it on his preflight. I opined that I was looking for problems and he might not be, and that if I came out to the airport and found my plane damaged and unairworthy, and found out that the FBO knew about it and did not call me, I?d be much more than annoyed. I also observed a traffic cone of the type normally placed under the Cessna?s right wingtip, but this cone was 35 paces downwind of the wingtip. And in front of the left wingtip was something that looked like a rudder gust lock.

I took a whole slew of cell phone pictures to document everything, including the jet N# and license plate # of the maintenance truck. I should have taken video and more pictures.

I later talked to the two mechanics in the FBO. The conversation was polite and formal, and I suggested that they go look at the Cessna to CYA.

I did relay this entire incident to one of my friends who is active in NBAA.

Without assigning blame, what are the missed safety opportunities?

FBO:
* Failure to train personnel on jet blast;
* Improper choice of runup location, including not considering routes of taxiing aircraft;
* Reluctance to notify Cessna owner of damage (don?t know if they ever did);
* Failure to provide adequate tie downs for Cessna;
* Failure to inspect Cessna tiedown;
* Failure to notify tower (granted, there was on legal requirement);

Maintenance crew and company:
* Failure to train mechanics on jet blast during runup;
* Failure to assume responsibility for adequate clearance behind for the runup, they just took the FBO?s word for it;
* Failure to consider routes of taxiing aircraft;
* Failure to notify tower (granted, there was on legal requirement);

Cessna owner:
* Failure to properly secure the airplane;
* Failure to request adequate tiedowns;

Airport police:
* Not my problem attitude;

My hope is that this is a learning opportunity for all participants, not an excuse to fire people just because?

For my part, after getting the runaround from everybody except tower, I decided I?d had enough fun for one day and to take my accumulated stress home rather than into the air. I?ll make an extra fuel stop tomorrow and call that good enough. And the ASRS report will go in this afternoon.

Nice write up.

I saw a guy in a T-6 give a bunch of landing aircraft a scare at a fly-in once upon a time. He was sitting perpendicular to the runway, located right at the normal touch-down point doing an extended high power run-up with the prop blast blowing across the runway.

The sudden, strong, crosswind didn't cause any accidents, but surprised everyone who landed during his run-up.

Being aware of one's surroundings is important at all times and places, but it is even more critical at the airport, IMO.

That is an amazingly frightening story which I believe is likely a relatively common one, I?ve heard a couple of similar reports in the past. One video on YouTube that I saw once had a Citation absolutely pummelling an unoccupied Cirrus SR22 from perhaps 30 yards or so. I think that I would have looked up the guys registration and called him personally to report what I had witnessed. At the least, leave a note with your contact info and flag the damage. I know that if it were me I would appreciate that.

At the least, leave a note with your contact info and flag the damage. I know that if it were me I would appreciate that.

Great idea! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to do that, maybe because I had talked to the FBO about them notifying him. The airplane is registered to a Delaware LLC...

You're right that there's a lot of shared responsibility here. However, the ultimate responsibility lies with the maintenance crew running the airplane.

I have a habit of doing a quick once over of the airplane immediately prior to closing the door/canopy. When flying my work airplane, that once over in particular is for not only anything abnormal with my airplane, but also to note any aircraft or FOD on the ramp which may be impacted by my jet blast as I taxi away. Given the number of times this has saved a lot of hassle, I'd say it's a good habit to develop, regardless of what you fly (or do engine runs on...)

Jet or prop blast is always a concern around tight spaces where light A/C are parked. Some years ago I was about to start up a B200 fully loaded (5.7t) when an Erricson SkyCrane started up not far from me, probably 30 or so meters away and the rotor down wash shook the old KingAir like a rag doll! Whenever I had the time I'd have a quick look at the light A/C near me for security that was going to get some blast from my aircraft handling especially the Lear Jets I used to drive. The ramp can be a very dangerous environment!

Great idea! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to do that, maybe because I had talked to the FBO about them notifying him. The airplane is registered to a Delaware LLC...

The FBO may very well be more interested in protecting the interests of the guys blowing the air than the interests of a third party with whom they may or may not have a relationship.

I am always blown away at how ingnorant plane and especially helicopter pilots are to their prop/jet/rotor blast. I have never understood if the issue is that they are oblivious of the risk, or oblivious of where there blast is going. Either way, it is rude and frustrating.

Bottom line is Ed did his part to make parties aware that they damaged an aircraft. Plausible deniability is gone. I'm not a lawyer but can see where this would fall under many statutes such as 49 u.s. Code 46505, or the FAA careless and wreckless. Nonetheless the parties causing the damage were made aware. Hard to prove intent on the wreckless party, but they were made aware of what they had done.

Me personally I know I would feel horrible to do everything I could, then hear about the plane crashing at some later point due in part to the damages.

I am always blown away at how ingnorant plane and especially helicopter pilots are to their prop/jet/rotor blast. I have never understood if the issue is that they are oblivious of the risk, or oblivious of where there blast is going. Either way, it is rude and frustrating.

Makes you wonder how ignorant or oblivious they are to other safety and flying related stuff.

Just a few months ago a C-172 landed on runway 30 at KLGB, turned off on taxiway Golf, and was blown over onto a wingtip by a Gulfstream doing a full-power runup nearby. The incident resulted in a prop-strike for the Cessna.

I don't' know who was held accountable but the Cessna driver did nothing wrong.

-Marc

Got the -9A all loaded up for an overnight trip but, passing through 3,000, there was a hiccough from the engine. Not a good omen for a 400 nm trip, so I put it back on the ground.

Wound up having lunch with the owner of the damaged twin -- a great time. And he was so glad to have had a witness to the event.

In a previous life, we had a customer?s airplane damaged in a similar fashion. His rudder was blown so violently that it bent the rudder stop and locked up beyond the normal limit position. It was repaired enough to ferry back to our shop, where it was fully repaired. It was paid by the insurance of the airplane doing the run up. Could?ve been a real headache, but it was very well handled by all involved.

Back